View previous topic | View next topic

gravity

Page 1 of 1

jack75
845213.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote

If Gravity can be 'switched off' temporarily in an aeroplane flight, could
the same conditions be created on land ?

soup
845227.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote

jack75 wrote:
If Gravity can be 'switched off' temporarily in an aeroplane flight

EH?

exnihilo
845237.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote

The vomit comet, etc. Putting a plane into a dive can create the effect of weightlessness for those inside. Without the falling motion that wouldn't happen, so it couldn't take place on land.

soup
845240.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:56 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
The vomit comet, etc. Putting a plane into a dive can create the effect of weightlessness for those inside. Without the falling motion that wouldn't happen, so it couldn't take place on land.

That's not "switching gravity off" though.

exnihilo
845241.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote

No, but I assume it's what the OP meant and as it was in quotes he/she is clearly aware it's not being switched off, but the effect is effectively (ha) being suspended or counteracted for a period of time giving an experience akin to not having gravity at all.

soup
845245.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote

Mmm. Ok I can see that, but wouldn't people in a lift (or similar box) being pushed down a hole/mine shaft experience weightlessness right up until the bottom of the hole shaft is struck? Would this situation be considered on land?

BASE jumping down a hole.

exnihilo
845250.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote

Yes, I suppose so. In both instances though it's the effect of falling that creates the sensation, at least in a plane one can arrest said fall and not splat the people. I assume the OP wanted a way to do it without the falling, but I may be wrong.

bobwilson
845571.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote

does jack have an obsession with gravity?

soup
845579.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
does jack have an obsession with gravity?

We all have our bailiwicks.

jack75
845620.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote

No I do not have an 'obsession' with Gravity. Just a healthy interest
in all 'invisible' forces. What causes them and there sources, any links between ETC.

For example, a vertical wind machine, (invisible force) can support a person, (flying?) but it is still defeating gravity.

A magnetic device can 'float' above another magnet, with no visible support. (Got one of those for fun) Still anti-gravity. (the train)

There are more of course, hence my interest in QI TV prog' and getting into this discussion.

soup
845644.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote

jack75 wrote:
For example, a vertical wind machine, (invisible force) can support a person, (flying?)

Ask PDR about airflow creating lift. :oP

jack75 wrote:
but it is still defeating gravity.

So does any support. Just because you can't see the air molecules they are still acting on the body.

c.f. You can't see the wind but you can see leaves (et al) being blown about by it.

Celebaelin
845645.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Without the falling motion that wouldn't happen, so it couldn't take place on land.

Roller coaster.

jack75
847014.  Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote

c.f. You can't see the wind but you can see leaves (et al) being blown about by it.

Likewise I cannot see the magnetic force that attracts the iron filings to itself.

But havn't we got sidetracked from my original questions,ie the source of gravity?
Thanks fellows for all your comments, but I'm non the wiser. So leaving the forum. Direct contact if you wish at jackgrogan@googlemail.com

exnihilo
847057.  Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote

I think that's fairly unlikely. Perhaps more engagement rather than simply popping vague questions on and waiting would have served you better?

Alfred E Neuman
847066.  Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote

I still don't even know what the "original questions" are...

Page 1 of 1