Gravity ?
Is there a link between Centrifugal force and Gravity ? Both compress
matter.

soup
845223.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote

jack75 wrote:

Is there a link between Centrifugal force and Gravity ? Both compress
matter.

Well considering there is no such thing as centrifugal force and Gravity is "carried" by Gravitons, no there is no common factor between them.

jack75
845319.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote

Centrifugal force is used Medical, Industry, space travelers, fairgrounds etc. How can you say it does not exist.

soup
845374.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote

jack75 wrote:
How can you say it does not exist.

Because it doesn't

What we term as centrifugal force is the resultant forces caused by inertia in an accelerating frame (Newton's first law).

It is put more succinctly than I can manage here.

bobwilson
845481.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote

That is one of the best science pages I've ever seen soup. On the other hand - there's a mild flaw. If the window delivers a centripetal force then the tape must provide an equal and opposite force to the window - which, for want of a better word, we could describe as centrifugal. Admittedly, strictly speaking the "desire" of the tape is to carry on in a straight line - but it nonetheless exerts a force on the window (which is disputing the matter).

And, just to get back to jack's original question - it's a fairly reasonable one based on observation. I'd say there is a link in that the two are much the same thing. Both are the result of some external body preventing the motion of a body in a straight line and both provide compression forces.

soup
845578.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
I'd say there is a link in that the two are much the same thing. Both are the result of some external body preventing the motion of a body in a straight line and both provide compression forces.

They can be considered the same sort of thing only in that they are both manifest as external forces (if we assume that centrifugal force exists [I am quite happy accepting this shorthand for the purpose of this discussion]). Rocket thrusters, pushing by hand etc can also be described in this manner.

Gravity is a very weak force (the gravity "produced" by an object the size of the earth can easily be overcome by a small magnet) Magnetism and electricity are very closely entwined. As Bob says there is a Nobel prize in fully explaining gravity and Electro-magnetic forces.

Dr Bob (an astronomer?) is probably the best man to ask for the most recent thoughts on gravity, whilst PDR is probably the man to ask for practical thoughts on forces applications . I am "just" a carer with half remembered school physics (so am not really au fait with latest thinking).

jack75
845603.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote

So all Centrifugal functions as used by the previously mentioned organisations, are actualy using Lack-of-Centripetal Force, for their applications.For instance, the Medical proffesion dividing blood cells are actualy using a Lack of Centripetal Force machine.

What causes Centripetal force to get into a 'Lack' state ??
If you consider 'Inertia' is the cause, then it is reasonable to give
inertia an alternative name, Centrifugal.

Would Centripetal force not in a Lack state be no force at all, as Centrifugal is, until inertia is applied?

soup
845616.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote

jack75 wrote:
So all Centrifugal functions as used by the previously mentioned organisations, are actualy using Lack-of-Centripetal Force, for their applications.For instance, the Medical proffesion dividing blood cells are actualy using a Lack of Centripetal Force machine.

If you like. The methods and the methods nomenclature is not as important as the result so whether they think of centrifugal force separating the cells in blood or whether they think of the machine accelerating the particles and the particles inertia (so difficult to get the balance between jargon and patronising) causing them to separate,doesn't really matter as long as the blood gets separated.

jack75 wrote:
What causes Centripetal force to get into a 'Lack' state ??

Not really sure what you are asking here.
jack75 wrote:

If you consider 'Inertia' is the cause, then it is reasonable to give
inertia an alternative name, Centrifugal.

It's not what I consider is the cause it is the cause (knowing me probably badly worded) but the desire to travel in a straight line unless accelerated is the cause . You can call anything anything but don't expect anyone to agree with you.
jack75 wrote:

Would Centripetal force not in a Lack state be no force at all, as Centrifugal is, until inertia is applied?

May be being thick but I have no idea what you mean here.

Page 1 of 1