'yorz
846220.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Ballbears?

Spud McLaren
846233.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote

They just love nuts....

zomgmouse
846363.  Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote

According to Wikipedia, jam is made by boiling/cooking all the bits separately, then combining them, whereas conserve is made by boiling/cooking whole fruits.

britishsm
846905.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Jam today, Jam tomorrow, None Today ... as they say in Rome ;)

To quote those rather wonderful people at Tiptree Jams

Quote:
Arthur Charles Wilkin joined with two friends to form the Britannia Fruit Preserving Company. He stipulated that the jam should be free of glucose, colouring and preservatives. The first jam was of such high quality and impressed one Australian merchant so much that he arranged to buy every last pot. As new varieties were added the distinction between jams made with home grown fruit ‘Conserve’ and foreign produce ‘Preserve’ was made

B.

bobwilson
846987.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I've never heard of that either. Now it seems to be sold with additional marshmallow fluff. This probably explains a lot about the difference between the current generation of Americans and their forbears.

Isn't everything from the USA sold with additional marshmallow fluff?

Jenny
846990.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Jenny wrote:
I've never heard of that either. Now it seems to be sold with additional marshmallow fluff. This probably explains a lot about the difference between the current generation of Americans and their forbears.

Isn't everything from the USA sold with additional marshmallow fluff?

Especially the politics.

exnihilo
847056.  Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote

britishsm wrote:
Jam today, Jam tomorrow, None Today ... as they say in Rome ;)

A reference to the mnemonic that Carroll was spoofing with his "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day."?

wordreet
877574.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Someone mentioned politics. And with the 'con' and 'pre' agreeing, perhaps, to disagree, they probably have a point.

gerontius grumpus
880330.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Probably been mentioned before but... Peanut butter was originally sold with added bacon.

Peanut butter with bacon would be infinitely more acceptable than peanut butter and jelly (jam).

I'm not too keen on the sweet and savoury mix.

Sadurian Mike
880331.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote

Peanut butter and (red) jam is nice.

Spud McLaren
880335.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote

No, no, no.

Peanut butter & Marmite.

Revolting*? Tell Sainsbury's, they sell it ready-mixed.

* no.

Pinky
880338.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
No, no, no.

Peanut butter & Marmite.

Revolting*? Tell Sainsbury's, they sell it ready-mixed.

* no.

Oh I'm a big PB & Marmite fan. I also occasionally add in a scraping of mustard as well for when I want to be particularly attention-seeking with my toast spreads :)

Bondee
880344.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote

My second favourite sandwich...

Take three slices of bread...

1. butter and Marmite.
2. peanut butter.
3. cheese on toast, Lea & Perrins optional.

Place the toasted slice between the two others.

AlmondFacialBar
880349.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote

onion wrote:
CB27 wrote:
Only if you're talking to an American. If you're talking to an English person it's jam.

I believe not, there is a distinction (correct me if i'm wrong), jam has 'bits' in it (as in seeds,skin, etc) and jelly is smooth, and is often more solid.
Hence us having both bramble jelly and blackberry jam both made of the same fruit.

Interesting, that's actually quite close to the German definition of the two. For us, jelly is smooth and wobbly and made of juice, and jam is chunky and spreadable and made of the entire fruit. Hence my mom makes both red currant jelly and red currant jam.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Efros
880384.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote

For brekkie Rose's Lime Marmalade on hot buttered toast, or Duer's thick cut Seville marmalade. I have tried Marmite with peanut butter it's good but to be honest I prefer Marmite on hot buttered toast just as it is. PBJ I don't care for, I too am not fond of the combination of salt and sweet, seems to be huge in the USA, chocolate covered pretzels FFS, even pretzel M&Ms.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next