View previous topic | View next topic

Eyesight

Page 1 of 1

iamannoying.com
844985.  Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote

There are companies called "ISIT", like Belgacom's Telindus-ISIT. According to their former management, that's supposed to be pronounced like "eyesight". Not "is IT", nor "easy IT" (in Belgium, the "I" may sound like the "ea"), nor "I sit", nor "easy tea" (ea-sea-t).

Is it (yes, I noticed its use!) just me, or am I the only one failing to link ISIT with the intended word "eyesight"?

Posital
845014.  Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote

What do you mean "supposed to be pronounced"? Their marketing people might like it that way.

But "I" can only pronounced aye in english, afaik.

iamannoying.com
845139.  Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Posital"]What do you mean "supposed to be pronounced"? Their marketing people might like it that way.

But "I" can only pronounced aye in english, afaik.[/quote]

Okay. Supposed to be pronounced: it didn't happen, but I wasn't sure who was right. The one that came up with the name ISIT, or people not pronouncing ISIT as "eyesight".

The answer "ayesayet" sounds right to me, as if it's a French name, and it doesn't sounds like "eyesight" at all indeed. If so, the marketing people were wrong.

aTao
845164.  Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Phonetically ISIT could be similar enough to eyesight to pass, but it is extremely gimmicky.
I had great trouble coming to terms with pick'n'mix, for me the 'n' would be more of a "nuh" than "en" and either way had nothing to do with and.

mckeonj
845632.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote

May I suggest 'n per se and'; pronounced enpersand; so that "pick'n'mix" becomes "pick enpersand mix".

iamannoying.com
845637.  Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:22 am Reply with quote

Gimmicky indeed. Apparently it's need-to-know, and there's no eye in the logo nor any eyes-related business operations to help guessing people.

If "ISIT" has to be explained, it may pass (valid theory) but it doesn't always really work. I'ld say as if "I see tea" perhaps passes the test as well, or maybe even better than "eyesight".

Page 1 of 1