Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

CB27
855325.  Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote

I agree.

zzzzz...

djgordy
855371.  Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote

Just as long as people agree with me 'cos I'm right.

'yorz
855395.  Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote

BTW - what persuasion was Dan Dare?

mckeonj
855401.  Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

Bush Baptist.

CB27
855414.  Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote

Ooh, haven't heard that expression for a while...

suze
855489.  Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

According to the link which I posted a few up, he belonged to the Church of England.

djgordy
855627.  Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote

Dan Dare appeared in "The Eagle" which was founded by an Anglican vicar so one might expect that the characters would reflect their creators beliefs; just as Superman shares those of Siegal and Schuster.

AlmondFacialBar
860860.  Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote

onion wrote:
Impossible to do a show (or even a segment) on Jews without a mention of bagels.

First recorded mention of them was in 1610 community regulations of Krakow, which required women in child birth to be given bagles.
"The joys of Yiddish" - Leo Rosten

also the accompaniment of lox and schmeere, generally considered traditional originated in late 19th-early 20th (not quite sure of the year) century New York

That would presumably be because schmeer as we know it today is an American invention. I'd be ready to bet a rather large fortune, if I had such a thing, that in the shtetls people would have spread their bagels with curd cheese.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

onion
861057.  Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

That would presumably be because schmeer as we know it today is an American invention. I'd be ready to bet a rather large fortune, if I had such a thing, that in the shtetls people would have spread their bagels with curd cheese.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Thats true, but I think even then the combination of soft cheese (curd, cream or cottage) and salmon on a beigel is an early 20th century invention.

Gooische Vrijgezel
861561.  Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote

Derived J series question: what's a jubilee?

I think most people don't exactly know what it is/was, and there may be a few suprising answers.

According to one of the definitions, it may now be happening in Greece (debts being forgiven).

CB27
865023.  Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote

Q. Who did God moon in the Bible??

A. Moses. If you go to Exodus 33, right at the end it says:

Quote:
And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:

And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Gooische Vrijgezel
865028.  Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts

Just wondering: is this writing style ("thou shalt") still used intentionally to make it sound more important and official?

exnihilo
865039.  Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote

Gooische Vrijgezel wrote:
Derived J series question: what's a jubilee?

I think most people don't exactly know what it is/was, and there may be a few suprising answers.

According to one of the definitions, it may now be happening in Greece (debts being forgiven).

Always worth searching the site. Jubilee has its own thread in this very forum.

CB27
865164.  Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts

Just wondering: is this writing style ("thou shalt") still used intentionally to make it sound more important and official?

I was using the King James verion, I'm guessing the old language is down to it being 400 years old :)

Gooische Vrijgezel
865177.  Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

I was using the King James verion, I'm guessing the old language is down to it being 400 years old :)

But there's no reason to keep using the old expressions. Perhaps a version-neutral example is "Christ Jesus", apparently only used once in Paul (sp?). People still use it, even when using a modernized Bible version. It's "heavy", it's "showing off", it's "complicated", and I doubt it's used intentionally to refer to Jesus as described by Paul. It's almost causing a headache, as if people randomly would refer to this website as "com.qi".

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next