Jews

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

CB27
881383.  Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote

As a Jew I'd say that's open to debate.

bobwilson
881396.  Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote

As a non-Jew (and indeed as a non every arbitrary and meaningless categorisation) I'd agree with CB.

Actually, the question is back to front. It's not why Jews are more likely to be members of the NAS - it's why are Catholics less likely to be members. I blame the Pope, and the Jesuits, and the paedophiliac priests - but that's just me.

AlmondFacialBar
881426.  Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote

Hmmmm... IF indeed, looking at the world as a whole, there are proportionally more Jews involved in scientific endeavour than members of other communities, I dare say that mostly has historical reasons. as in if you're not allowed to take up agriculture or trades as a way of making a living, you can either take up intellectual pursuits or starve.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

mckeonj
881495.  Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Hmmmm... IF indeed, looking at the world as a whole, there are proportionally more Jews involved in scientific endeavour than members of other communities, I dare say that mostly has historical reasons. as in if you're not allowed to take up agriculture or trades as a way of making a living, you can either take up intellectual pursuits or starve.

AlmondFacialBar

....or you could take up lending money at interest to non-Jews; at one time the only profession open to Jews.

AlmondFacialBar
881497.  Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

AlmondFacialBar

....or you could take up lending money at interest to non-Jews; at one time the only profession open to Jews.

I count that as an intellectual pursuit for the purposes of this debate, because it means making a living based on your intellectual rather than your physical skills.

AlmondFacialBar

plinkplonk
881567.  Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Roads with Jewish names

Old Jewry, City of London

Jewry Street, City of London

Jewry Street, Winchester

Jewry Lane, Canterbury

Solomon's Passage, Southwark

Abraham Street, Blackburn (Also in Australia, US and Canada)

Synagogue Street in India, South Africa and Singapore

Synagogue Road, New York

Ghetto Drive, Oklahoma, US

Despite the number of Jewish immigrants from Germany, there are no Yiddish(e) Roads or Yiddish(e) Streets.

swot
881690.  Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote

There's also Jewbury, the site of a Jewish cemetery in York.

djgordy
881712.  Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote

The surname Jewson, as in "We've got the Jewson lot", does not mean "son of a Jew".

www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Jewson

Alternative origin.

www.houseofnames.com/jewson-family-crest

swot
881940.  Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

AlmondFacialBar

Well apparently I should have paid more attention in RE. Jolly interesting. Why weren't they allowed, out of interest? Was it a consequence of their religion, or was it other people (I'm fully aware that I should just google this or dig out my notes, but I have a sod of a lot of work to do and really should't be here. Toodle pip).

AlmondFacialBar
882055.  Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

AlmondFacialBar

Well apparently I should have paid more attention in RE. Jolly interesting. Why weren't they allowed, out of interest? Was it a consequence of their religion, or was it other people (I'm fully aware that I should just google this or dig out my notes, but I have a sod of a lot of work to do and really should't be here. Toodle pip).

It was one of the many ways in which diaspora Jews were discriminated against by the majority population around them.

AlmondFacialBar

swot
882072.  Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. That does seem a more sensible explanation than the religion forbidding farming work etc. How would everyone feed themselves?

plinkplonk
884091.  Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
The surname Jewson, as in "We've got the Jewson lot", does not mean "son of a Jew".

www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Jewson

Alternative origin.

www.houseofnames.com/jewson-family-crest

Why does it derive from Jull's son? Surely Ju's son would make more sense (short for Julian in both cases). Jull rhymes with Mull, I think.

nmkloster
908499.  Fri May 11, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Splitters!

It is rare that I actually laugh out loud at something I read. Thanks tetsabb! ;)

djgordy
908527.  Fri May 11, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote

Don't encourage him.

tetsabb
908696.  Fri May 11, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote

I need all the encouragement I can get

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next