View previous topic | View next topic

Jews

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

iamannoying.com
843233.  Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote

If there's no I-themed Israel, J-themed Jews may be about as qualified as a source for many wrong assumptions related to post-WOII political influence, political correctness, religion, number of jews in other countries, perhaps Adolf Hitler himself qualifying as "nicht Arisch", and so on.

mckeonj
843252.  Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote

I thought that the inhabitants of Jerusalem were 'the Jews'; that is how they were addressed by the teacher Jesus the Nazarene.

rewboss
843263.  Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote

"The Jews" would originally have been the population of the Kingdom of Judah, which according to Biblical tradition was the tribe of Judah which split from the rest of Israel (and later joined by Benjamin) when the northern tribes refused to accept Rehoboam, son of Solomon, as king. Their territory included not only Jerusalem, but also Beersheba and Hebron.

Eventually, Israel was sacked by Assyria; later on, Judah was conquered by Babylon. According to tradition (probably false), the Israelites (of the Northern Kingdom) intermarried with the Assyrians, becoming the ten "lost tribes" of Israel, while Judah remained pure. As such, by Roman times, there was some antagonism between the pure Jews of Judah (which the Romans called Judaea), the impure northerners, and the Samaritans (who were suspected, probably falsely, of connections to Samaria, but who saw themselves as the true keepers of the Israelite faith).

If there is any truth in the story of Jesus being betrayed by the Jews, it may have something to do with his being from Galilee.

tetsabb
843274.  Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote

Splitters!

onion
843983.  Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Impossible to do a show (or even a segment) on Jews without a mention of bagels.

First recorded mention of them was in 1610 community regulations of Krakow, which required women in child birth to be given bagles.
"The joys of Yiddish" - Leo Rosten

also the accompaniment of lox and schmeere, generally considered traditional originated in late 19th-early 20th (not quite sure of the year) century New York

bobwilson
844002.  Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Eventually, Israel was sacked by Assyria

Possibly for misconduct but would have been seized on by the religious right as evidence of "anti-semitism".

I think there's enough idiocy about Jews, Judaism, anti-semitism, and all variations without any need to add to it. Probably best left to be dealt with by the Israeli version of QI or possibly the neo-Nazi version.

Moosh
844047.  Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 am Reply with quote

onion wrote:
Impossible to do a show (or even a segment) on Jews without a mention of bagels.

Possibly this could be mentioned, a way of cutting bagels in half so that the two parts are linked through the holes.

exnihilo
844068.  Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
Eventually, Israel was sacked by Assyria

Possibly for misconduct but would have been seized on by the religious right as evidence of "anti-semitism".

I think there's enough idiocy about Jews, Judaism, anti-semitism, and all variations without any need to add to it. Probably best left to be dealt with by the Israeli version of QI or possibly the neo-Nazi version.

Oh, there's plenty of idiocy that's for sure. Once again I'd ask that Israel and "Jews" not be confused. Oh, and that people take heed that calling someone a Jew rather than a Jewish person is quite insulting.

Zebra57
844090.  Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote

QI are the Jews who have lived in China since the 7th or 8th century AD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_China

CB27
844100.  Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd be offened at being called a Jew, as opposed to Jewish Person, I think it's all about the context.

As for recognising the difference between Judaism and Israel, that is a very important difference overlooked by many. Another major difference which is a bit of a touchy subject for some people is the one between race and culture, and religion.

Many of the earliest leading Atheists (and therefore also some of the leading Communists) were Jews. Even in Israel there is a clearly defined difference between religious and secular Jews whih you don't often see in other countries.

Starfish13
844135.  Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote

onion wrote:
...also the accompaniment of lox and schmeere...

Schmeere sounds like something quite disgusting, but very onomatopoeic.

suze
844156.  Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote

Modern Yiddish spelling renders it as shmeer; it's the cream cheese which accompanies the smoked salmon onto the bagel.

So you may well be right ...

CB27
844177.  Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote

There was me thinking shmeer meant to spread it on thickly, not the spread itself. So that you shmeer the cream cheese on the bagel.

exnihilo
844237.  Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Depends. Suze is right that in Yiddish the spelling is schmeer and it is derived from words for fat and such, it is also often rendered in English as schmear and in either spelling the "whole schmear" has come to mean "everything" or "complete"*.

*Frasier's "all the fixins", anyone?

rewboss
844285.  Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Another major difference which is a bit of a touchy subject for some people is the one between race and culture, and religion.

I would say that religion is an aspect of culture.

But with Judaism, it gets complicated. For many Jews, Judaism is less of a religion, more a sort of family tradition. One of the peculiarities of Judaism is that a belief in a deity is almost an optional extra. Whether or not God exists, goes the logic, or what happens to you after you die is not something you can actually do much about apart from debate. Instead, the focus is on how you live your life. This is why you never get people knocking on your door wanting to discuss the Torah with you.

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next