View previous topic | View next topic

Dublin

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Flash
40710.  Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote

There are lots of penguins in Africa, so that may not be so odd.

Feroluce
40764.  Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote

Dublin zoo is the oldest, continuously operating zoo in the world.

It's situated in the largest inner city park in the world.

Park, in the most commonly used sense, is an Irish word meaning field.

Three in a row, this early in the morning, there must be something wrong with me

eggshaped
40769.  Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote

Feroluce, we like to post our sources here, just for fact verification. The "oldest zoo" one in particular is one I am interested in.

According to the official Dublin Zoo website, the zoo opened with animals donated from London Zoo. Which would slightly negate your fact, that is unless this (and other much earlier) zoo(s), are not "continuously operating". Which I'm afraid I don't have time to check at the moment.

Anyway, dublin zoo opened in 1830 and the zoo in Vienna was founded in 1752. Has that also had a period of closure? I'm thinking probably the war for both of them.

http://www.dublinzoo.ie/about_history.htm

http://www.zoovienna.at/e/index.html

Feroluce
40774.  Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:20 am Reply with quote

My source may be a little difficult to post, it was a tour guide and it was years ago on a school trip.

Neither wars reached Ireland and it remained open during the civil war so maybe that is the factor.
Another factor may be that parts of the zoo (reptile house as far as I remember) are original.

Caradoc
41254.  Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Melbourne claims to be the oldest opening in 1862

Vienna 1752 & London 1847 here would seem to throw the Australians claim into disrepute

Wikipedia has Dublin as the third oldest after Paris (1792) & London (1828) but also has Vienna as the oldest.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2