View previous topic | View next topic

Jack The Ripper

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jack the Knife
864697.  Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote

"The Autobiography of Jack the Ripper" by James Carnac is an original 1920's manuscript found at Montacute TV Radio Toy Museum.

Based on a bare-bones account by someone who was there, was at least a witness to the murders and, without wishing to be over dramatic, was potentially the perpetrator of the Jack the Ripper murders... This is without question a text that will be the subject of considerable interest and will no doubt be debated for years to come.

To be released on the 19th January 2012.

<edited by Jenny to delete commercial links>

Jenny
864723.  Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote

I've left this post alone and not banned the poster because I believe this is a naive newbie (who is apparently linked to the Montacute museum mentioned in the post) unaware of the usual reaction of the QI posters to spamming. Moreover, the topic is one that I know is of particular interest to some of our posters and is potentially relevant to the next research, so the researchers may be interested in that book. They can find it by searching the Amazon website.

I may well read it myself when it comes out in paperback or Kindle.

Bondee
864976.  Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote

I'm Jack the Ripper!... No, I'm Jack the Ripper!
(at about 2:50)

imaginer
864984.  Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote

I shouldn't have read..., I'll have nightmares now :(

Orrible' histories will likley do a Crimewatch update featuring Jack the Ripper...

CB27
864993.  Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote

I know most "experts" dismiss the idea of James Maybrick as a suspect because of inconsistencies in tests on the materials and ink, and the confession by someone to have written the diary (though later denied).

Having said that, I find interesting the case of the unidentified killer/killers in Austin, Texas, three years before the Whitechapel murders, nicknamed "Servant Girl Annihilator". Maybrick was travelling between the UK and US a lot during this period, so much so that his death and subsequent trial of his wife was reported widely in the US as well as the UK.

MacGyverMagic
905011.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote

I heard Maybrick's diary has been disputed, but I have also seen an 90s or 2000s show that put the Ripper suspects on trial. The winning piece of evidence was a pocket watch which had the initials of the victims scratched in the back -- and it supposedly belonged to Maybrick.

No clue what the status of that is now.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2