View previous topic | View next topic

Jumping Jehosaphat

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

djgordy
836306.  Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote

The phrase "Jumping Jehosaphat" was first recorded in the 1866 novel "The Hedaless Horseman" by Thomas Mayne Reid. A year before that the phrase "by the shaking, jumping ghost of Jehosaphat" appeared in the novel "Paul Peabody" by Percy Bolingbrook St. John.

Jehosaphat was the 4th king of Judah. His name was probably used as a euphemism for "Jesus" or "Jehovah". Joel 3 11-12 says:

Quote:
Assemble yourselves, and come, all ye heathen, and gather yourselves together round about: thither cause thy mighty ones to come down, O LORD. Let the heathen be wakened, and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat: for there will I sit to judge all the heathen round about.

According to one person:

Quote:
Jehosaphat was a wealthy king of Jerusalem. One day an army came from Koopastan to steal Jehosaphat's princess and his mountain of gold coins. Jehosaphat challenged the most feared fighter in the Koopastanian army to one-on-one combat. Right before battle, Jehosaphat ate powerful mushrooms from his kingdom. Legend has it that during the confrontation, Jeosaphat doubled in size and leaped onto the warrior, crushing him flat. Recent scientific studies show that the Basidocarpus todensae mushroom of the desert has certain chemotactic properties that increase hematocrit levels in the myofibrils of muscles, verifying the possible "doubling in size".

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090427122104AAdtYBd[/quote]

Ainee
836330.  Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Recent scientific studies show that the Basidocarpus todensae mushroom of the desert has certain chemotactic properties that increase hematocrit levels in the myofibrils of muscles, verifying the possible "doubling in size".

And how exactly were they taken internally, and with what appropriate Shamanic Ceremonies, precisely?

Please? Further research needed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M._Allegro

would be a good startpoint... Then Castaneda...

Posital
836331.  Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote

How embarrassing if your muscles double in size, but your bones don't.

Ainee
836332.  Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Ok if everyone around you imagines you have doubled in size; embarrassing if they doubled too, and then you shrank...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnomycology

Spud McLaren
836512.  Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Re: post 830112 and post 830246 - any response yet, Jenny?

'yorz
836535.  Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Am intrigued - what is a Heda? And is a horseman better or worse off without it?

Droid
836561.  Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote

There's no mention I could find in the literature of Basidocarpus todensae. Basidiocarp is the term for the 'mushroom' part of the fungus. I suspect it's all made up, or put another way, your initial assessment is correct.
Spud wrote:
Here's a pretty piece of utter bollocks. The mushroom is mentioned several times if googled, but only in blogs such as this one.

Jenny
836711.  Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote

Droid wrote:
There's no mention I could find in the literature of Basidocarpus todensae. Basidiocarp is the term for the 'mushroom' part of the fungus. I suspect it's all made up, or put another way, your initial assessment is correct.
Spud wrote:
Here's a pretty piece of utter bollocks. The mushroom is mentioned several times if googled, but only in blogs such as this one.

My friend who is an expert in fungi with the University of New Hampshire at Durham concurs with you in this.

Zebra57
836760.  Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Droid wrote:
Spud wrote:

My friend who is an expert in fungi with the University of New Hampshire at Durham concurs with you in this.

This smacks of a Biggus Dickus or Naughtious Maximus syndrome.

djgordy
836780.  Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote

Since the Bible is full of imaginary entities , people and events, I can't see that an imaginary fungus or two makes all that much difference.

rewboss
836826.  Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote

A mushroom that makes you double in size? A man who kills his enemies by squashing them? A princess in need of rescue? Gold coins? Troops from Koopastan who might perhaps be known as...

...Koopa Troopers?

Am I the first person to notice, or has everyone else just been too subtle for me?

djgordy
836887.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote

rewboss wrote:
A mushroom that makes you double in size?

Quote:
Soon her eye fell on a little glass box that was lying under the table: she opened it, and found in it a very small cake, on which the words `EAT ME' were beautifully marked in currants. `Well, I'll eat it,' said Alice, `and if it makes me grow larger, I can reach the key; and if it makes me grow smaller, I can creep under the door; so either way I'll get into the garden, and I don't care which happens!'

She ate a little bit, and said anxiously to herself, `Which way? Which way?', holding her hand on the top of her head to feel which way it was growing, and she was quite surprised to find that she remained the same size: to be sure, this generally happens when one eats cake, but Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

So she set to work, and very soon finished off the cake.

`Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English); `now I'm opening out like the largest telescope that ever was! Good-bye, feet!' (for when she looked down at her feet, they seemed to be almost out of sight, they were getting so far off). `Oh, my poor little feet, I wonder who will put on your shoes and stockings for you now, dears? I'm sure _I_ shan't be able! I shall be a great deal too far off to trouble myself about you: you must manage the best way you can; --but I must be kind to them,' thought Alice, `or perhaps they won't walk the way I want to go! Let me see: I'll give them a new pair of boots every Christmas.'

Alice in Wonderland - from Chapters 1 & 2.

Quote:

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

Jefferson Airplace - White Rabbit.

rewboss
836906.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote

Well, djgordy, one of us has missed the point. I couldn't tell you which one of us has missed the point, but either you or I have missed it.

soup
836918.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

Jefferson Airplace - White Rabbit.

I love that song.

Sorry got to post this

Grace 'ripped to the tits' singing White Rabbit

tetsabb
837058.  Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote

No, it was probably stage fright affecting her performance......

(Yeah, right)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next