View previous topic | View next topic

Tidbits and titbits

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

rewboss
835902.  Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote

YouTube is available in Germany. Unfortunately... you know how songwriters and performing artists are entitled to royalties when their music is performed? Well, there are organisations called "collecting societies" that collect royalties and distribute them to the artists. They usually do this by selling licences. The problem is, the German collecting society GEMA has, for a couple of years now, been demanding that YouTube fork out more for their broadcasting licence than YouTube reckons they could recoup through advertising. YouTube thinks that's a bit steep, and so, to cut a long story short, I get this: "Unfortunately, this SME-music-content is not available in Germany because GEMA has not granted the respective music publishing rights. Sorry about that."

(SME = Sony Music Entertainment, in case you're wondering.)

'yorz
835913.  Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote

I used to work for Buma/Stemra in the 1970s. Tedious work, having to go through all them weekly radio magazines to see if any CBS artists' output was played, and jot that on the related cards.
The only plus was the fact that we all could pick 4 LPs every month from the new releases, and 8 from the back catalogues. Was very popular with my friends, who always gave me long shopping lists :)

Spud McLaren
835928.  Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote

In today's terms that perk has to have been worth over 100 a month - not bad. I hope it wasn't compensated for by shit pay.

Posital
835934.  Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
In today's terms that perk has to have been worth over 100 a month - not bad. I hope it wasn't compensated for by shit pay.
Unfortunately, mr taxman would want a cut of that... perhaps a couple of lines from each song?

'yorz
835939.  Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote

How did you guess, Spud? The other perk was the piano in my office. Lots of new CBS releases from other countries arrived, along with the sheet music. The bloke from across the corridor would come in regularly and give us a taster. Ah - great memories....

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2