View previous topic | View next topic

Most expensive liquid?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

PDR
982268.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote

If we ignore the silly prices demanded for exotic perfumes and the commodity value of aged wines and spirits, what's the most expensive liquid offered for retail sale to the public? I had assumed it would be one of the more extreme whiskies at perhaps a hundred quid a litre, but today it dawned on me that there is a far more expensive liquid which the general public buy frequently and is on sale in high-street stores and supermarkets.

I wonder if they hold the record - these valuable liquids are sold for anything from £300 to £2,000 per litre, and even schools and nurseries buy them. I'm talking about inkjet printer ink, which is frequently sold at £5-£7 for a cartridge, and the cartidges may only contain 5-10ml of this apparently precious fluid.

I feel the need to start assembling a lynch-mob...

PDR

Jenny
982277.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote

I would have suggested bottled water, since we can get the stuff for free otherwise, which you can't with printer ink.

djgordy
982278.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:

One of Airfix's more unusal kits.

When you buy an inkjet cartridge you are not just buying ink. You are buying a cartridge. Re-ink them. It works out a lot cheaper.

PDR
982282.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
PDR wrote:

One of Airfix's more unusal kits.

When you buy an inkjet cartridge you are not just buying ink. You are buying a cartridge. Re-ink them. It works out a lot cheaper.

It does, but even re-filled cartridges can come out at hundreds of pounds per litre, and many manufacturers have dongled the cartridges to make it much harder to use refills. The refilled cartridges (f4rom a mainstream refiller) that I used in my Kodak ESP7 completely wrecked it after less than half the refil had been used. Continuous-flow ink systems can be significantly cheaper, but most are messy lash-ups that look untidy and can be messy to change the bottles.

I still think a public flogging and then lynching of the directors of the printer divisions of the major ink-jet manufacturers would be more constructive.

It would probably be more fun as well.

PDR

Awitt
982284.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote

They have us over a barrel with this one, and they know it. MY HP ink refills CLAIM to be able to print around 420 pages -I never get anywhere near it. Can't see the amount of mls on the box. (need another black, can't get it till next Thursday)

djgordy
982305.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote

According to this

www.buzzfeed.com/higgypop/top-10-most-expensive-liquids-on-earth-6qcr

black printer ink is the 7th most expensive liquid in the world.

6th is mercury;
5th is insulin (although I make my own so it is free).
4th is Chanel number 5.
3rd is LSD.
2nd is king cobra venom and
1st is scorpion venom at $39m per gallon.

Human blood is 9th, though, again, I make my own*.

"What is the most expensive liquid in the world?" could be a good Q.I. quesion. It could be squeezed in as a "K" series question with the King Cobra if it was asked "what is the second most expensive liquid in the world?".

*I don't make my own LSD, just in case anyone was wondering. The kids at the local primary skool cook it up during play time.

Efros
982309.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Axe aftershave costs about $440 a gallon, Vicks Sinex spray comes in at about $1600 a gallon, rose essential oils vary in price according to quality but I have seen these quoted at over $200 for 5 ml, about $150,000 a gallon, US gallon, if you want imperial then it will set you back about $190,000.

bemahan
982315.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote

This is a genuine suggestion, not just me being smutty. The sperm of champion racehorses doesn't come* cheap. Does sperm count as a liquid in this context?

From The Telegraph:
Quote:
For £100,000 per assignation the Turf’s most glamorous mares will now queue to meet Frankel, hailed as the greatest horse of them all after his 14th and final victory at Ascot yesterday.

*Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

PDR
982325.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
According to this

www.buzzfeed.com/higgypop/top-10-most-expensive-liquids-on-earth-6qcr

black printer ink is the 7th most expensive liquid in the world.

6th is mercury;
5th is insulin (although I make my own so it is free).
4th is Chanel number 5.
3rd is LSD.
2nd is king cobra venom and
1st is scorpion venom at $39m per gallon.

That site suggests inkjet ink is $2,700/gal, whereas the typical UK price is over £800 per LITRE.

Perhaps it's another UK/US price thing.

PDR

suze
982326.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Assuming that that figure for scorpion venom is in US dollars per US gallon, the price quoted above equates to £6,830,000 per liter.

Now, the average volume of a stallion's ejaculation is said to be 65 ml. (Foote, 1978) This may seem like a lot - it's about twenty times as much as the volume of a human ejaculation - but apparently horse semen contains a large amount of "gel". (As far as I can tell, this is comparable to pre-come in humans, except it is issued after the sperm-bearing semen.)

Now, it costs £100,000 a pop to be serviced by Frankel. He'd have to ejaculate 15.38 times to produce one liter of semen - and so his semen is worth £1,538,000 per liter.

So scorpion venom costs four and one half times as much per liter as horse semen. You always needed to know that ...!

Foote, R H (1978). "Factors influencing the quantity and quality of semen harvested from bulls, rams, boars, and stallions", Journal of Animal Science, 47, Urbana-Champaign IL.

I know that this paper is dated, but a more recent but less authoritative source gave a figure of 70 ml, so we're clearly in the right ballpark.

Efros
982329.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote

So much for Godley & Creme's numbers!

suze
982330.  Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote

Between them, just maybe! The average is in the reason of 3 ml, but values in the region of 5 and 6 ml are recorded.

In any case, notorious pederast Jonathan King came up with the name of the band - he was its manager at the time - and he insists that it was nothing to do with semen. Supposedly he had a dream about a band of his being #1 in both Britain and the US, and the band in the dream was called 10cc.

Posital
982350.  Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote

Then there's liquids that are so expensive that no-one has tried for a purchase (or bothered). Like Beckham's spoonful - water from that distant planet - etc...

djgordy
982364.  Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Foote, R H (1978). "Factors influencing the quantity and quality of semen harvested from bulls, rams, boars, and stallions", Journal of Animal Science, 47, Urbana-Champaign IL.

I know that this paper is dated, but a more recent but less authoritative source gave a figure of 70 ml, so we're clearly in the right ballpark.

What about the left ballpark?

bemahan
982380.  Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Between them, just maybe! The average is in the reason of 3 ml, but values in the region of 5 and 6 ml are recorded.

I think I know how some of the more competitive male forummers may do to while away this Sunday morning. Just be sure to rinse the measuring jug out before you make the gravy for Sunday lunch.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next