View previous topic | View next topic

Diamonds

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

falsedog
39386.  Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote

"Diamonds are forever" an advertising slogan? Wow, I thought that was an Ian Fleming invention. So, what has happened is that a businessman has marketed an object that, by advertising, we universally agree is a physical manifestation of the degree of love a man or woman is prepared to buy for their partner (unless you are buying one to cut something), but which is inherently valueless and not even rare. It's all held up by faith! Sounds like religion.

They burn very easily though, for all their reputation as the "hard men" of the precious stones world.

Jenny
39449.  Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote

Anybody know how much it costs to have the cremated remains of your loved one made into a diamond?

Jenny
39450.  Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote

OK I now know the answer to the above question. It costs between $2,699 and $19,999, depending on the size and colour (blue diamonds are slightly more expensive than yellow because the process takes a little longer). You can get it cheaper if you book before you (or your loved one) die though.

You can find details here.

Morbid as it sounds, I wish I'd known about that (or maybe it wasn't available then, I don't know) when my first husband died. I would have loved to have been able to do that.

djgordy
39457.  Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
You can get it cheaper if you book before you (or your loved one) die though.

Her 'Hello darling, I've bought you a wonderful present'.
Him 'Gosh, have you really? What is it?'
Her 'Well darling when you die I'm going to have you turned into a lovely diamond.'
Him 'That's nice, although I was hoping to be cryogenically frozen and revived when advances in medical science have increased life expectancy to 200 years.'
Her '...............nah, the diamond idea is better. Now hurry up and eat that lovely meal I've made you. What's that dear? No I haven't the faintest idea how that rat poison bottle got in the kitchen.'

Gray
134809.  Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote

Looks like there may be another source of (some) diamonds after all: space!

http://space.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn10953

Quote:
Black diamonds found in only a few places on Earth may have crashed down from space in a kilometre-sized rock, according to new research.

The diamonds, also called carbonado, are only found in Brazil and the Central African Republic. Unlike other diamonds, they are made of millions of diamond crystals that are stuck together.

And this article.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2