View previous topic | View next topic

QI Films

Page 25 of 112
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 110, 111, 112  Next

Starfish13
906096.  Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I went to see Salmon Fishing In The Yemen yesterday - enjoyable movie, not a brain-stretcher but nicely played and entertaining.

I saw that the other day too. Very nice. Changed a bit from the book to add a bit more romantic tension, but a less satisfying ending. I liked Kristin Scott Thomas, and it worked well that they made her character female so it wasn't just a rip-off of Malcolm Tucker/ Alastair Campbell.

zomgmouse
906536.  Fri May 04, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote

Notorious. Wonderfully terse.
Dead Man's Shoes. Grippingly brutal.

zomgmouse
906720.  Fri May 04, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote

Man Bites Dog. Sardonic, dark, great.

zomgmouse
906922.  Sat May 05, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote

The Sicilian Clan. Pretty standard French heist film. Smooth, gritty style, with solid performances by Gabin, Delon and Ventura; some decently suspenseful scenes, and nice mood-setting music by Morricone. Overall, not really outstanding.

Efros
906926.  Sat May 05, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote

Infernal Affairs, the film that The Departed is a remake of, excellent and one of those subtitled films that you forget is subtitled whilst you're watching it. The Departed didn't do it for me, but this film does!

zomgmouse
906931.  Sat May 05, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote

I put that on my list of stuff to watch after I watched The Departed, mostly because, as you say, The Departed "didn't do it for me" either, and I was intrigued to find out what the original was like. I've still yet to watch it, though.

Efros
906933.  Sat May 05, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote

I've had that happen to me before, acclaimed movie, oscar winner in a genre that I like and it just either bored me or was bleugh. In the case of The Unforgiven I fell asleep duuring it.

Oceans Edge
906991.  Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote

The Princess and the Frog - classic Disney princess movie, very generic with appropriate social conventions updates. Disappointed in the 'appropriation of voice', and the idea that an obviously black character and black story, shouldn't be 'toooooooooo' black - alas I don't expect much more than that from Disney

Tangled - didn't have much hope for this one based on the trailers. All I can say is it was better than the trailers, but it certainly seemed to suffer for the number of rewrites. (the rumour was that the Flynn character needed to be expanded and fleshed out and it made more actiony/adventurey and less princessy to avoid alienating all the male audience again so soon after the last princess movie ... see above). While the movie did have it's moments; "Frying pans? Who KNEW?", it mostly suffered from a bit of not knowing what it was trying to be and felt a little pieced together. Ending didn't really gel, was kinda thrown together thrown in, because no one really wanted to end it with a traditional wedding/happily ever after... but that's what it was. Did leave me wondering if they were trying to copy "How to Train Your Dragon" and who'd been reading Patricia Wrede?

Not dreadful, not really interested in watching them again. However, I'm willing to hold out a bit of hope that this may be a sign that perhaps Disney may be on the way up in it's rather cyclical existence, and we may yet again see some real classics from Disney. Still hoping we might see the kind of film making I wanted to expect from Disney after Lassiter took over creative control.

zomgmouse
907405.  Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Quite splendid, albeit dated, Western.

zomgmouse
907744.  Mon May 07, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote

The Gold Rush. Very cute. Chaplin is fantastic.

zomgmouse
907945.  Wed May 09, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Adorable.

zomgmouse
908468.  Fri May 11, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote

42nd Street. Fun, although some loose threads. But some surprisingly impressive camerawork.

zomgmouse
908857.  Sat May 12, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote

Dead Snow. A lot of splattery fun. Slightly pointless, but who cares.

zomgmouse
908958.  Sun May 13, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote

Watched Assassins. Lame, ridiculous, terrible. Enjoyed every second. To be fair, the last half-hour was not bad at all. But so ridiculous.

zomgmouse
909580.  Tue May 15, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote

To Have and Have Not and The Big Sleep as a double in 35mm. Both were excellent films by Howard Hawks with Bogart/Bacall (and co-written by William Faulkner), although filmwise I think the former was better than the latter (and better than Casablanca). The Big Sleep had a more intriguing style and some much more provocative dialogue between the two leads.

And today I watched Shoot the Piano Player. Charmingly melancholic. Truffaut is becoming a favourite with his light-yet-serious ponderings.

Page 25 of 112
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 110, 111, 112  Next