View previous topic | View next topic

QI Films

Page 149 of 150
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 148, 149, 150  Next

Celebaelin
1385206.  Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:43 am Reply with quote

The Comeback Trail (2020) - Robert De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman, Zach Braff.

I certainly got enough laughs out of this movie industry comedy but I get the feeling that if you're spoofing Hollywood you have to back off certain elements of the film-making process in case some people take it personally and phone it in on all your further efforts for the rest of your career! As for the plot if you take Get Shorty as a start point then throw in a bit of A Fish Called Wanda and The Producers you've probably got the gist of it. Since I recorded it from a showing the other night I'm tempted to watch it again right now to make sure my impression of the movie being slightly disjointed is truthfully the fault of the film and not that I wasn't completely focused on it while it was running; I may get back to you on that.

<E>
Quote:
...slightly disjointed...

Yeah - but only slightly and I think I know why; the film is not 'overly burdened with exposition' either directly or in the form of visual set-ups for forthcoming elements, quite the opposite in fact, so it sometimes takes a few seconds to form an understanding of what's happening after we cut to the next scene - especially as there often isn't any dialogue, or any reason for there to be, for no small amount of screen time after the scene begins. This is of course realistic but makes the audience work at internally reconstructing the film's narrative which imparts the brief unsettling feeling of non sequitur.

tetsabb
1385221.  Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:56 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:

At least one shot of Julie Newmar (who from 1966-67 was the original onscreen Catwoman) appeared in the May 1968 Playboy with an accompanying article. Newmar, who plays a mute apache wildwoman in the film, decided for herself to be totally nude when swimming in the waterhole rather than topless with a loincloth as originally intended - whether this is a major part of the reason why she completely overshadows Camilla Sparv in a damsel in distress speaking role is a matter for individual opinion.

They showed that at my school when I was about 15. I don't remember much else about the film.

Jenny
1385266.  Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote

I saw a movie on Netflix called Synchronic, which I rather enjoyed.

The premise is that a chemist seeking to synthesise not-quite-illegal drugs lights on a formula that causes the person who takes it to be whizzed back in time for a total of seven minutes, but they have no control over where they go, and they only come back to their own time if they are in the same place when time is up.

It was quite good, actually.

tetsabb
1385836.  Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote

A film version of Stella Gibbons' great book, Cold Comfort Farm from 1995.
Cracking cast, including Kate Beckinsale, Stephen Fry, Miriam Margolyes, and a very young Rufus Sewell as Seth, doing the full gamut from Smoulder 1 to Smoulder 2.
Captured the spirit of the book quite well, and was a terrific romp.
I can imagine a young Terry Pratchett and Jodi Taylor being influenced by it as young people.

Leith
1385838.  Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I saw a movie on Netflix called Synchronic, which I rather enjoyed.

The premise is that a chemist seeking to synthesise not-quite-illegal drugs lights on a formula that causes the person who takes it to be whizzed back in time for a total of seven minutes, but they have no control over where they go, and they only come back to their own time if they are in the same place when time is up.

It was quite good, actually.

I thought that was a decent enough evening's entertainment. I really enjoyed a previous film, The Endless by the same directors.

Efros
1385976.  Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote

Upgrade: Nobody I recognized in the cast although the male lead seemed to be familiar for some reason. Very enjoyable unusual SF film. The ending is atypical of Hollywood fare and was entirely suitable for the subject matter. It's basically a sort of Robocop scenario... except not a cop and not a robot... so not. Watch it, you won't be disappointed.

crissdee
1385985.  Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote

According to IMDB, he has had a fairly busy career thus far, 34 credits to his name, so hardly surprising if you have seen him in something else.

Efros
1386575.  Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Danny Boyle film Yesterday, very enjoyable.

From upthread, I rewatched this today with the wife and it is just as enjoyable the second time around. One thing that had bugged me the first time I saw was the old geezer near the end of the film living in a house at the seaside, his face was very familiar but I couldn't place it because of the prosthesis he was wearing... came to me watching it this afternoon, Robert Carlyle confirming his acting chops.

Celebaelin
1388081.  Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:33 pm Reply with quote

If... (1968) Malcolm McDowell, David Wood, Richard Warwick, Christine Noonan, Rupert Webster, Peter Jeffrey, Arthur Lowe

I avoided every opportunity to see this film while I was at school and having now seen it for the first time I feel utterly justified in having done so. Most often described as allegorical it's frankly pretty far from that - it is upon occasion surreal but my schoolboy assessment of it (without having seen it) as mere rebellious delusion doesn't now seem far from the mark. Except for the ability to now say that I have seen it I gained nothing from the experience although perhaps some post-millennials might be brought to an understanding of the rebellious nature of youth culture in the 60's (and subsequently the 70's and 80's).

In the light of the various school shootings in the states and elsewhere in the intervening years since it was made this film is in poor taste and/or in need of a remake that gives better voice to the anger and frustration that the hypocrisies of the 'system' (any system tbh) engender in those whose lives are crushed by its faceless immoral inequities.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Efros
1388084.  Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Don't ask me why but it is If.... not If...

I don't think the film is in poor taste, I think it is a product of the 60s and should be looked at in that context. The most predictable thing about it is the reception it got in the US where it was issued with an X rating until the male nudity was removed when it was revised as an R. Laughable but entirely predictable, nudity bad, gun violence ok.

Celebaelin
1388124.  Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote

You've undoubtedly got a better perspective on it than I have; currently being closer to teenagers than I've been in a long time you'll have a better grasp on contemporary attitudes within that group. Maybe teen anger isn't a thing anymore IDK but I'd assumed it would be an ever-present; if not then great - changes in attitude have had a beneficial effect.

As for the taste thing it wasn't so much a criticism of the film, which as you and I both mentioned was a product of the 60's, as it was the choice to screen it on the TV in the 2020's when the supposedly surreal gunplay has become a real thing both sides of the Atlantic - but curiously outside the realms of English public schools where the availability of military firearms was at least a realistic possibility. The armourers would however have to be a bit remiss to issue live ammunition outside the range... except possibly in the event of a complete breakdown in public order. Actually in my sixth form I knew one of the school armourers quite well as I spent quite some time with him waiting for the rest of our group to arrive in the mornings and I'm quite sure the chances of him issuing rifles to cadets without official reason and approval were infinitesimal...ish (I was actually an excellent shot at that point and might have stood a chance of getting my hands on one in a crisis).

* Yes, I know, in the film the Crusaders 'found' their arsenal in the cellars.

Efros
1388126.  Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote

I remember watching this and a selection of other peculiarities of British cinema in the early 1970s on BBC2 late on a Friday night IIRC. If.... , Unwin, Wittering and Zigo, Walkabout. Just three that immediately spring to mind, all three featuring a fair amount of violence\nudity\sexuality , none of them mainstream, even less so now than then. The taste thing, well I suppose that depends on where it was being shown. If it was on something like Sky Movies (don't know if that even exists anymore) then it's being shown for salacious reasons, on something like the old BBC2 or C4 I'd be more inclined to think it's being shown for more cerebral reasons.

Celebaelin
1388142.  Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote

The channel in question has arrived as part of a Sky movies package certainly but involved in a deal which I've gained in more or less an automatic nature AFAIK; my words over the phone were to the effect that I had no interest in any further services or paying any further cost. My brand loyalty may have had some influence over the outcome overall but I've found Sky to be accommodating and rewarding for the most part; I guess we'll find out the truth of that in due course.

tetsabb
1390279.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:46 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Efros wrote:
Danny Boyle film Yesterday, very enjoyable.

From upthread, I rewatched this today with the wife and it is just as enjoyable the second time around. One thing that had bugged me the first time I saw was the old geezer near the end of the film living in a house at the seaside, his face was very familiar but I couldn't place it because of the prosthesis he was wearing... came to me watching it this afternoon, Robert Carlyle confirming his acting chops.

We watched that last night
Very enjoyable. Basic premise is that a guy wakes up after an accident, and he knows all the songs by the Beatles, in a world where they never happened. So he passes them off as his own.
Some lovely touches, such as the recording studio next to the railway line, and excellent performances from all concerned.
I like to check out a film on IMDB, and it seems that Chris Martin of Coldplay was due to be in it, but had scheduling conflicts, so they got Ed Sheeran in instead. But they kept the Coldplay references.
And can I say that I am now hopelessly in love with Lily James?

Jenny
1390298.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote

I saw that movie too, when it came out. Yes, very enjoyable.

We watched a Jane Campion movie, Bright Star, last night. As the title might have told you, it was about Keats and his love, Fanny Brawne. Sadly I found it rather boring.

Page 149 of 150
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 148, 149, 150  Next