View previous topic | View next topic

QI Films

Page 149 of 150
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 148, 149, 150  Next

Jenny
1384579.  Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote

I watched Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, which was quite good fun. It's on the free IMDb TV streaming app, which I just downloaded, although I think it's also on Disney+. I have a godson who worked as an animator for Pixar in a (sadly unsuccessful) movie called Ugly Dolls, so I'm often interested in seeing how they do the technical bits of animation. The water effects in this one were brilliant, I thought.

Efros
1384583.  Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote

Danny Boyle film Yesterday, very enjoyable.

PDR
1384584.  Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
PDR wrote:

Stolen/counterfeit aviation spares was a HUGE problem in the 80s and continued well into the 21st century, but we believe we have it more under control now.

PDR

I rather wish I didn't know that, especially as "we believe we have it more under control now." isn't quite as solid an assertion of quality as one might wish.

It would be arrogant to say "we know we have it under control", and with the various things crawling out of the woodwork over [ineffective] FAA regulatory oversight (cf 737Max, 777x certification and 787 manufacturing quality recalls) I'm not sure the issue is as much under control on some conients as it is on others.

If you're interested I might pass on the story of the scrap russian submarine, the beltway bandit and the $500m cost of replacing titanium frames in a few USMC and RAF Harriers...

PDR

Jenny
1384587.  Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote

Am I going to feel better for knowing this?

Efros
1384668.  Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote

Jenny, Super 8 on the IMDb stream is a good watch if you haven't seen it before.

tetsabb
1384683.  Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Woman at War 2018

An Icelandic woman wages a one-woman war against what she perceives is environmental disaster looming. Meanwhile, she has an application in to adopt a small child from Ukraine.
Beautifully shot in majestic scenery, with intriguing characters, and the oddest musical moments I have ever seen, I think. Very charming, hilarious in parts, and thoroughly worth watching.

PDR
1384684.  Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Am I going to feel better for knowing this?

Depends how you define "better"...

:0)

PDR

Efros
1384987.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote

Nobody.

Best film I've seen for a while, Bob Odenkirk apparently conceived this after suffering his own home invasion. It's a bit of an alternative take on John Wick with appreciably less violence (still a lot) and more humour. Definitely recommend this one for 90 minutes of death and mayhem. Reminds me a bit of RED.

Jenny
1384988.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote

We watched a movie called Death on the Tyne, which was something of a spoof of Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile, with Johnny Vegas in it. Sadly, not nearly as funny as it intended to be, unless you like your humour very heavy-handed.

We also watched a movie with Steve Carell and Keira Knightley, Seeking a Friend at the End of the World, which was rather lovely and had exactly the right ending.

PDR
1384992.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote

Summer of Rockets - a truly delightful spy story come comedy of manners by the BBC (6 part series on Netflix) with a superb cast headed by Toby Stephens and Timothy Spall. Partly about being British, partly about post-war antisemitism, partly about the old world reluctantly making way for the new.

Not going to give any spoilers, but definitely recommended.

PDR

Celebaelin
1385166.  Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:54 am Reply with quote

Mackenna's Gold (1969) - An amazing cast; almost all the speaking parts (and at least one non-speaking part) are played by actors you will have heard of (Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, Telly Savalas, Julie Newmar, Lee J. Cobb, Raymond Massey, Burgess Meredith, Anthony Quayle, Edward G. Robinson, Eli Wallach and Camilla Sparv). The tale of greed is almost lost among all that acting charisma until the climax. There are some other points of interest:
It's adapted from a book of the same name by Will Henry.
The part of the apache warrior/outlaw guide Hachita is played by Ted Cassidy in a rare non-Lurch (The Adams Family) appearance.
The whole method of discovery of the entrance to the secret valley is essentially lifted from the original Jules Verne book Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1864). Tolkien used the device correctly in The Hobbit and it's use in the 1959 version of JttCotE was as described by Verne IIRC but thereafter there has been no stipulation that it has to be the right day of the year (in addition to Mackenna's Gold that I can think of there's at least The Mummy (1999)). I've certainly used it in writing adventures (with the date stipulation) - there must be other examples I'd have thought although TV Tropes hasn't identified it as a category of its own as yet.
At least one shot of Julie Newmar (who from 1966-67 was the original onscreen Catwoman) appeared in the May 1968 Playboy with an accompanying article. Newmar, who plays a mute apache wildwoman in the film, decided for herself to be totally nude when swimming in the waterhole rather than topless with a loincloth as originally intended - whether this is a major part of the reason why she completely overshadows Camilla Sparv in a damsel in distress speaking role is a matter for individual opinion.

Celebaelin
1385206.  Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:43 am Reply with quote

The Comeback Trail (2020) - Robert De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman, Zach Braff.

I certainly got enough laughs out of this movie industry comedy but I get the feeling that if you're spoofing Hollywood you have to back off certain elements of the film-making process in case some people take it personally and phone it in on all your further efforts for the rest of your career! As for the plot if you take Get Shorty as a start point then throw in a bit of A Fish Called Wanda and The Producers you've probably got the gist of it. Since I recorded it from a showing the other night I'm tempted to watch it again right now to make sure my impression of the movie being slightly disjointed is truthfully the fault of the film and not that I wasn't completely focused on it while it was running; I may get back to you on that.

<E>
Quote:
...slightly disjointed...

Yeah - but only slightly and I think I know why; the film is not 'overly burdened with exposition' either directly or in the form of visual set-ups for forthcoming elements, quite the opposite in fact, so it sometimes takes a few seconds to form an understanding of what's happening after we cut to the next scene - especially as there often isn't any dialogue, or any reason for there to be, for no small amount of screen time after the scene begins. This is of course realistic but makes the audience work at internally reconstructing the film's narrative which imparts the brief unsettling feeling of non sequitur.

tetsabb
1385221.  Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:56 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:

At least one shot of Julie Newmar (who from 1966-67 was the original onscreen Catwoman) appeared in the May 1968 Playboy with an accompanying article. Newmar, who plays a mute apache wildwoman in the film, decided for herself to be totally nude when swimming in the waterhole rather than topless with a loincloth as originally intended - whether this is a major part of the reason why she completely overshadows Camilla Sparv in a damsel in distress speaking role is a matter for individual opinion.

They showed that at my school when I was about 15. I don't remember much else about the film.

Jenny
1385266.  Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote

I saw a movie on Netflix called Synchronic, which I rather enjoyed.

The premise is that a chemist seeking to synthesise not-quite-illegal drugs lights on a formula that causes the person who takes it to be whizzed back in time for a total of seven minutes, but they have no control over where they go, and they only come back to their own time if they are in the same place when time is up.

It was quite good, actually.

tetsabb
1385836.  Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote

A film version of Stella Gibbons' great book, Cold Comfort Farm from 1995.
Cracking cast, including Kate Beckinsale, Stephen Fry, Miriam Margolyes, and a very young Rufus Sewell as Seth, doing the full gamut from Smoulder 1 to Smoulder 2.
Captured the spirit of the book quite well, and was a terrific romp.
I can imagine a young Terry Pratchett and Jodi Taylor being influenced by it as young people.

Page 149 of 150
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 148, 149, 150  Next