View previous topic | View next topic

QI Films

Page 148 of 150
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149, 150  Next

Celebaelin
1382978.  Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote

High Society (1956)

The first time I've ever seen it from beginning to end IIRC. Essentially a bedroom farce with some great songs there's quite a heavy inference of marginally illicit nookie as the idle rich and journos appear to busy themselves porking each other senseless. Meanwhile musicians and captains of industry bemusedly or pompously take a wall seat for once and watch the 'shocking sleaze' come tumbling out from behind a curtain of propriety. Alternatively it might have been perfectly innocent simple confusion; at any rate it's all rather fun and uncluttered by hypocrisy for the most part - also it has Grace Kelly in it.

Children and animals tell each other never to work with Grace Kelly - here she is making a swan look clumsy and lacklustre.

Efros
1383256.  Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote

A Good Marriage - film based on a Steven King short story of the same name and the screenplay was written by King himself. Pretty good, not your normal King fare although it is set in Maine, filmed in upstate NY though.

Jenny
1383352.  Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote

I just read Lisey's Story to see if I thought it was worth trying to watch the series King is adapting. I'll give it a miss - normally I really like his work, and he says it is his favourite among his own books, but this one left me cold.

Leith
1383522.  Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
The Endless - Excellent small-scale tale of Lovecraftian unsettling mystery with a simple but effective allegory running through it.

Synchronic by the same directors, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead.

This one's a gloomy low budget sci-fi piece. In comparison with The Endless, it's rather exposition led, and less willing than the former to provide minimal explanation and allow a sense of mystery and subtle menace to grow in the gaps. It still has a reasonably novel concept and passable performances going for it, though, to provide sufficient undemanding entertainment.

Jenny
1383555.  Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote

We're currently watching our way through Manifest on Netflix, which has an intriguing premise and characters we like.

Efros
1383562.  Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote

Tenet: erm I wouldn't bother with this one. Apart from suffering from incomprehensible dialogue in the first 20 minutes or so, I had to turn on subtitles the sound mixing was so bad, the story is confused and to be honest up its own arse. Wasn't impressed.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6723592/

The Gentlemen: Guy Ritchie film, sometimes they're really good and sometimes they stink on ice. This one is really good. Hugh Grant acting his balls off playing a Londoner who can actually think and vocalize those thoughts coherently, quite a revelation. Definitely recommend this one.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/

Jenny
1383619.  Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote

We watched an Australian movie called The Dry, which was rather good, but also confirmed me in my decision that it's not worth keeping Australia on my travel bucket list.

tetsabb
1383933.  Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:19 am Reply with quote

Last night we watched Sully the dramatised account of US Airways flight 1549 that took off from LaGuardia, had a bird strike, and was ditched in the Hudson rive in 2009.
Amazing tale, and well performed by all. The chap who plays the captain of a ferry that was first to scene to rescue people was played by the actual chap himself.

As a result, I did some reading into the crash 20 years earlier at Sioulx City of United flight 232. The fellow who was flying as a passenger who was a training pilot was a fine example of the right person being in the right place at the right time. He had tried out driving a plane with no hydraulics in a simulator.
Recreation of the incident

Jenny
1384520.  Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote

We watched an Amazon Original movie last night - The Tomorrow War. Hokum, but not bad hokum. Great CGI aliens.

Efros
1384525.  Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote

I watched that one last night too, as you said hokum with a definite contrived heartstring pulling. It certainly reminded me of quite a few other SF films, the one that immediately sprung to mind was Starship Troopers, purely on the expended bullet count. You know guys if one thousand bullets ain't taking them down maybe you should be using something else!

PDR
1384532.  Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Last night we watched Sully the dramatised account of US Airways flight 1549 that took off from LaGuardia, had a bird strike, and was ditched in the Hudson rive in 2009.
Amazing tale, and well performed by all. The chap who plays the captain of a ferry that was first to scene to rescue people was played by the actual chap himself.

A good film, but the bit about trying to prove Sully could have made it was complete hogwash. All the options were studied in the normal course of the investigation, but there wasn't the attempt to blame him that they put in the movie for dramatic tension.

Quote:
As a result, I did some reading into the crash 20 years earlier at Sioulx City of United flight 232. The fellow who was flying as a passenger who was a training pilot was a fine example of the right person being in the right place at the right time. He had tried out driving a plane with no hydraulics in a simulator.
Recreation of the incident

There is much more to the story than the piece of superb airmanship. There is a good film about it called "A thousand Heroes" (starring Charlton Heston) which does quite a good job of telling the whole story - it's quite accurate, although some of the secondary characters are composites of several real people to simplify the narrative.

None of the seem to mention the actual technical cause of the accident - the burst turbine disk in the centre engine. This was eventually shown to be a counterfeit part. It had been removed from another engine and scrapped due to a crack, but then "bad people" got hold of it and sent it back into the spares pool with falsified paperwork.

Stolen/counterfeit aviation spares was a HUGE problem in the 80s and continued well into the 21st century, but we believe we have it more under control now.

PDR

Celebaelin
1384537.  Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote

Operation Petticoat (1959) Cary Grant, Tony Curtis, Joan O'Brien

Genuinely funny and rather charming yarn about running repairs being made to a submarine in WWII which become further complicated by the arrival of group of stranded naval nurses. Cary Grant's discomfiture at trying to avoid any 'breaches of discipline' is beautifully played and some of the lines are superb.

I've seen this film several times but there are two things I didn't previously know. Firstly it was directed by Blake Edwards and secondly it won an Oscar for Best Writing, Story and Screenplay - Written Directly for the Screen
Paul King (story)
Joseph Stone (story)
Stanley Shapiro (screenplay)
Maurice Richlin (screenplay)

PDR
1384560.  Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:

There is much more to the story than the piece of superb airmanship. There is a good film about it called "A thousand Heroes" (starring Charlton Heston) which does quite a good job of telling the whole story - it's quite accurate, although some of the secondary characters are composites of several real people to simplify the narrative.

Bad form to reply to my own post, so apols!

But I discovered that the film "A Thousand Heroes" is actually on youtube. Not exactly HD quality, but watchable. It tells the whole story of the chain of seemingly unconnected people and events that started long before the engine failure which resulted in an astonishing number of people surviving what would have been deemed a non-survivable accident.

PDR

crissdee
1384573.  Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
PDR wrote:
stuff about a film.

Bad form to reply to my own post...

Is it? You're just expanding on your previous answer, nowt wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

Jenny
1384578.  Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:

Stolen/counterfeit aviation spares was a HUGE problem in the 80s and continued well into the 21st century, but we believe we have it more under control now.

PDR

I rather wish I didn't know that, especially as "we believe we have it more under control now." isn't quite as solid an assertion of quality as one might wish.

Page 148 of 150
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149, 150  Next