View previous topic | View next topic

QI Films

Page 138 of 138
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138

Jenny
1285198.  Sun May 27, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote

I went with a friend to see Book Club the other day, mainly because of the fairly stellar cast. It's quite predictable and light, but enjoyable nonetheless.

It may be relevant to note that nearly all the people in the audience were femmes d'un certain age...

tetsabb
1296016.  Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:59 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

Spotlight (2015).
Quote:
This film tells the riveting true story of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Boston Globe investigation that would rock the city and cause a crisis in one of the world's oldest and most trusted institutions. When the newspaper's tenacious "Spotlight" team of reporters delves into allegations of abuse in the Catholic Church, their year-long investigation uncovers a decades-long cover-up at the highest levels of Boston's religious, legal, and government establishment, touching off a wave of revelations around the world. This tense investigative dramatic-thriller traces the steps to one of the biggest cover-ups in modern times.

We watched this last night. Superb film, worthy winner of Best Picture Oscar that year.
Terrifically paced, with dialogue at times that Aaron Sorkin would be proud of. One of the actors who appears briefly as a victim of abuse was himself abused as a kid; the director asked him if he was OK after an interview scene with Michael Keatin and Mark Ruffalo as two of the journalists; his response was along the lines of "I was thinking I was in a scene with Batman and the Incredible Hulk".
The closing credits are worth watching, as it lists wheŕe further cases of the Catholic Church covering up such activities had subsequently come to light.

This led me this morning to do a bit of Googling, specifically of the nane Piers Grant-Ferris, who was my form master at Gilling Castle, prep school for Ampleforth College. I was a day boy at both, only boarding for my final year on approach to A Levels. It seems I may have narrowly escaped some deeply unpleasant experiences, as much of went on took place after I had gone home for the day.
One police officer involved in investigations described how he went there in answer to an allegation, only to be told by the headmaster that he had now spoken to the boy's father, who has said he did not want to pursue the matter. I did not like that particular monk when i was at the school, and even less a few years later when he remarked in my hearing that the prime aim of any British government was "the preservation of the middle class".
I am quite an angry bunny today.

Jenny
1296039.  Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote

We liked Spotlight a lot too.

My friend and I just went to see Juliet, Naked, which was excellent, and involved some good music but no actual nudity. Ethan Hawke plays an excellent role, and the role of Sandcliff on Sea, where much of the movie was set, was apparently played by a combination of Broadstairs and Ramsgate.

Efros
1296043.  Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Sicario: Day of the Soldado. Has its moments not as good as the original and a little bit predictable in parts, couldn't help feeling the director was cribbing some stuff from Clear and Present Danger.

Page 138 of 138
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138