View previous topic | View next topic

QI Films

Page 25 of 109
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 107, 108, 109  Next

Starfish13
905274.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
As far as conventional films go, there's also the Disney(!) film he directed - The Straight Story, which I liked.

The Straight Story is such a good film. Fatastic story, based on real-life, and heartwarming without being schmaltzy in anyway.

I watched the English language re-make of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the other night, having also seen the original Swedish films. I think I prefer the original film, and the actress playing Lisbeth. She does the remote detached Lisbeth brilliantly, although the American actress does crazy psycho Lisbeth better.

Bondee
905287.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote

I couldn't take Rooney Mara seriously. She looks too much like a teenage goth who's read the book and tried a little bit too hard to make herself look like Lisbeth.

Leith
905291.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote

I'm curious to see how those compare, too. The first of the Swedish trilogy was a great film - convincing and shocking (the others were good, but lacked some of the edge and realism of the first, I thought).

Efros
905308.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote

I enjoyed both although I would really like to see the extended version of the original Swedish one. Some stuff from the book was inevitably left out, more so from the English film, and I would be intrigued to find out which bits made it into the Swedish extended version.

Starfish13
905310.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote

The best bit of the re-make is the Bond-esqe title sequence soundtrack, a verson of The Immigrant Song by Karen O and Trent Reznor. And that happens in the first two minutes.

Efros
905316.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote

The titles were very good if a bit overdone.

suze
905358.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
I couldn't take Rooney Mara seriously. She looks too much like a teenage goth who's read the book and tried a little bit too hard to make herself look like Lisbeth.

Well she is a little rich girl, yes - her family owns the New York Giants. As for trying a bit too hard, I suppose you'd have to blame the production team for that.

But she certainly showed dedication to the role, and got holes punched in parts of her body where even I never got holes punched!

zomgmouse
905381.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Currently having a Godfather fest, about halfway through II, deffo the best of the 3.

I disagree; I thought it was needlessly oversentimental and a lot more populist than the first one. The third I enjoyed more than the second, even though it's a lot worse.
So yes, my preferred is still the first, although I need to rewatch the first and second, as it's been a while.

Bondee
905572.  Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote

I really should watch The Godfather trilogy again.

I did all three in one day a while ago, but I was ripped to the tits on prescription painkillers and a bit too fuzzy to really appreciate them.

zomgmouse
905686.  Tue May 01, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote

I watched Last Tango in Paris today. It's fascinating, frightening and exhausting. Made me very uneasy, and for that I thank it.

Efros
905688.  Tue May 01, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
Efros wrote:
Currently having a Godfather fest, about halfway through II, deffo the best of the 3.

I disagree; I thought it was needlessly oversentimental and a lot more populist than the first one. The third I enjoyed more than the second, even though it's a lot worse.
So yes, my preferred is still the first, although I need to rewatch the first and second, as it's been a while.

I think you can level the sentimentality shotgun at all three Godfather films. I don't think any of them could be termed populist if that is indeed what you mean, second film may have been more commercial, but that doesn't make it bad. The third was a bit of a mess, with I think numerous roles miscast.

Jenny
906023.  Wed May 02, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote

I went to see Salmon Fishing In The Yemen yesterday - enjoyable movie, not a brain-stretcher but nicely played and entertaining.

Starfish13
906096.  Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I went to see Salmon Fishing In The Yemen yesterday - enjoyable movie, not a brain-stretcher but nicely played and entertaining.

I saw that the other day too. Very nice. Changed a bit from the book to add a bit more romantic tension, but a less satisfying ending. I liked Kristin Scott Thomas, and it worked well that they made her character female so it wasn't just a rip-off of Malcolm Tucker/ Alastair Campbell.

zomgmouse
906536.  Fri May 04, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote

Notorious. Wonderfully terse.
Dead Man's Shoes. Grippingly brutal.

zomgmouse
906720.  Fri May 04, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote

Man Bites Dog. Sardonic, dark, great.

Page 25 of 109
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 107, 108, 109  Next