View previous topic | View next topic

What ARE you eating?

Page 222 of 223
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 221, 222, 223  Next

crissdee
1389630.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote

While I was looking after my mum and dad, I became something of a master of the slow-cooked roast joint. Today, I played a blinder in that regard. A few weeks ago, during my scouring of the nearest big blue supermarket in search of victuals, I found a large joint of beef on the "reduced" shelf at such a transparently attractive price, I could not pass it by. Yesterday I defrosted it, and today I cooked it for eight hours at the lowest setting my oven can hold, only turning it up for the last half hour so that it was piping hot when it reached the plate. If I do say so myself, it was lucking fush!!! Enough left over for at least two more meals.

Jenny
1389701.  Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote

I suspect those sausage rolls won't make it past tomorrow, Efros.

Crissdee - I am also a big fan of stashing stuff from the reduced shelf in the freezer. Your beef sounds lovely.

I went swimming this morning and was very ready for my lunch in consequence. I made an omelette with spring onions, yellow pepper, mushrooms and grated cheese. Nom.

Efros
1389710.  Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I suspect those sausage rolls won't make it past tomorrow, Efros.

I made 18 of them. Got enough left for lunch tomorrow and the next day. They're only couple of inches in length but three of them make a good lunch.

Jenny
1389773.  Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote

Very restrained of you!

Efros
1390225.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote

Couple of rounds of toast topped with some commercially available damson jam. Not as good as the pater's but to be honest perfectly acceptable. It also provoked a taste memory which doesn't happen to me very often but the first taste took me straight back to one morning in our living room some 45 years ago. I was drinking a mug of tea accompanied by some toast and damson jam, my dad was sitting in his chair eating his dinner, some kind of curry, and drinking home brew. He had just come home after a 12 hour night shift.

Celebaelin
1391248.  Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Simple: slices of cinamon roast chicken from a few days ago with slices of salami, sliced and boiled spuds, shredded leek, sweetcorn, carrot, green beans, peas. Warmed in the microwave, salt, butter.

I may have been hungrier than I realised or it may just have been very tasty but it didn't need any kind of sauce for my palate.

A bit of both perhaps because I'm still rather peckish - a sachet or two of a well known brand of tomato soup made with the water from the veggies plus a bit of basil and balsamic should do the trick.

crissdee
1391287.  Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:24 am Reply with quote

Nothing, for reasons explained in "How Was Your Day"

Awitt
1391393.  Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Quote:
A few weeks ago, during my scouring of the nearest big blue supermarket in search of victuals, I found a large joint of beef on the "reduced" shelf at such a transparently attractive price, I could not pass it by.

I'm in a locally based group on the Book of Faces called 'Markdown addicts' who do precisely this.
Some of our supermarkets - the main two chains - do the markdowns at different times of day. It's not always known or obvious.

Some people have displayed a full kitchen bench of discounted meats and other things. Some say they share it with family, friends, others store it.
Sadly my digestive system is at the stage where I can't take advantage of such markdowns - only able to have one type of low fat mince meat, and even then the moment things go off, I get another IBS upset.

Jenny
1391431.  Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote

We don't eat a great deal of meat and I often look for bargains in the discounted meat bin at our local supermarket. What I can't use straight away goes in the freezer.

I sometimes buy a cooked chicken, because that will tend to do us for at least four meals, and I stew the bones up with vegetable trimmings I keep in the freezer and use the resulting broth as stock for soup.

Efros
1391724.  Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Another batch of chicken liver pâté was put together this morning, I was slightly concerned as during the liver cleaning process I discovered a gallbladder. First time I had seen one in a tub of livers and looking at how bright green the damn thing was I wonder about the QC in the plant that packed it. Anyway it had been pressing against some of the livers in the tub and so I had to carefully select the ones that had been in contact with the gallbladder and discard them, some of them were colored green on the surface some possibly so. Anyway lost about 1/4 of my livers. I was a bit worried that the gallbladder had tainted the rest of the batch. Having just now tasted the chilled product I can say that it is fine and bloody delicious. It does have a very faint green hue but that is always the case and is due to the powdered thyme and oregano I use for flavouring.

AlmondFacialBar
1391746.  Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote

Fucking hell, now there's a brand I wouldn't buy again if I were you! 🤢

Meanwhile, here at Casa McShortarse Irish Branch, because yesterday was Unification Day, the German national holiday, I introduced my two extremely temporary housemates to some peak German culinary goodness in the shape of VW Currywurst mit Pommes Schranke (fries with both ketchup and mayo, that is). I'm not sure what'll take them longer to get over, the fact that VW make and sell almost 1 1/2 times many sausages as cars (and have a part number for them) or that the sausages are bloody delicious. Also, with a generic Currywurst that would be a Mantateller, but you can't really call a VW dish after an Opel/ Vauxhall model, can you?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Efros
1391766.  Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Fucking hell, now there's a brand I wouldn't buy again if I were you!

Unfortunately only brand available hereabouts, a consultation online suggests it's not an uncommon occurrence and if you manage to incorporate some contaminated livers it is harmless except for imbuing the product with a bitter taste.

AlmondFacialBar
1391769.  Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote

Oh it's completely harmless. It just ruins the flavour and that strikes me as bad enough.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
1391782.  Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote

I actually found some chicken livers in Shaw's (my local supermarket) a couple of weeks ago and made a batch of pate. Woodsman is not a fan so I froze some in small pots, and this has reminded me to remove a pot from the freezer....

Efros
1391793.  Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote

I must admit my younger self was extremely dubious about liking pâté as it contained one of my least favourite meats, liver. In fact favourite should not be anywhere near the word liver in my world. But haggis, pâté and liverwurst are all processed forms of liver, amongst other things, that I can eat and enjoy.

Page 222 of 223
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 221, 222, 223  Next