View previous topic | View next topic

What ARE you eating?

Page 221 of 223
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 220, 221, 222, 223  Next

Celebaelin
1388930.  Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Maybe your fridge's design has cooling provision in the side walls as well (although that would limit usable space quite a bit I'd have thought).

Jenny
1388984.  Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote

It never used to do it before, so I suspect a developing problem, but I'll keep an eye on it. So far it's only been problematic with melon and strawberries, both of which are rather noticeable when they freeze, and they weren't totally frozen.

Jenny
1388985.  Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote

Woodsman just got back from the store with a warm roasted chicken, so we are going to have warm chicken sandwiches for lunch. We have been so ill the last couple of days that I need something that takes minimal effort.

Celebaelin
1389253.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote

Vegetarian day for the second time ever.

Some vegetarian 'meat free turkey pieces' were very cheap so I made a curry out of them (leek, onion, tomato, garlic, apricot) and had it with rice and peanuts. Other than that it's been oaty rounds, tea, lemon squash and cheese on toast. The cheese may not be completely vegetarian but I'm not that fussed - it's not the carnivorous morals of it so much as the environmental aspect that's why I'm eating veggie.

That and the cheapness of the ingredients.

The cheese btw was suitable for vegetarians but I wonder if from my POV it wouldn't be better, ie less wasteful, to use animal rennet when available. It's a matter of production cost and market demand amongst other things I suppose.

Efros
1389257.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote

After my last abortive attempt at making pâté due to the chicken livers having past their prime... they stunk, I successfully made some on Monday afternoon. It has been eagerly consumed on toast on a regular basis since then. I miss the convenience of going to a supermarket and being able to choose from a selection of at least half a dozen varieties of pâté. Although my version is pretty damn good, and also pretty cheap, about $4 for a batch of about 1.5 pounds

Awitt
1389258.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:33 am Reply with quote

Just had my evening meal, one of my bulk cook ups done two days ago.
Chicken, pasta, peas and corn with a small bit of mayo.

Due to multiple intolerances getting worse, back in lockdown and still unable to get to a dietitian, I'm reduced to eating fairly basic plain things.

Jenny
1389300.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote

I don't think our local supermarket sells chicken livers, but I do love a chicken liver pate and it's easy to make. I don't know about you, Efros, but I like to put a good dollop of brandy in mine. Rather too much fat for my current weight-loss-oriented mode of eating though.

Efros
1389319.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Brandy/Whisky any spirit! Except probably gin.

Hannaford sell chicken livers

Efros
1389448.  Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:08 am Reply with quote

Mug of coffee and a couple of slices of buttered toast with homemade raspberry jam, an excellent way to start the day.

Efros
1389629.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote

I made some sausage rolls today. Instead of pork sausage meat, I made a pork sausage meat stuffing with a pound of the meat mixed with a box of paxo sage and onion I got from the rainforest people. I've had two that were stupidly hot from the oven and now I'm resisting a raid on the ones that are currently cooling in the kitchen. They are very moreish. They are supposed to be lunch vittles for the first half of the week... we shall see!

crissdee
1389630.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote

While I was looking after my mum and dad, I became something of a master of the slow-cooked roast joint. Today, I played a blinder in that regard. A few weeks ago, during my scouring of the nearest big blue supermarket in search of victuals, I found a large joint of beef on the "reduced" shelf at such a transparently attractive price, I could not pass it by. Yesterday I defrosted it, and today I cooked it for eight hours at the lowest setting my oven can hold, only turning it up for the last half hour so that it was piping hot when it reached the plate. If I do say so myself, it was lucking fush!!! Enough left over for at least two more meals.

Jenny
1389701.  Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote

I suspect those sausage rolls won't make it past tomorrow, Efros.

Crissdee - I am also a big fan of stashing stuff from the reduced shelf in the freezer. Your beef sounds lovely.

I went swimming this morning and was very ready for my lunch in consequence. I made an omelette with spring onions, yellow pepper, mushrooms and grated cheese. Nom.

Efros
1389710.  Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I suspect those sausage rolls won't make it past tomorrow, Efros.

I made 18 of them. Got enough left for lunch tomorrow and the next day. They're only couple of inches in length but three of them make a good lunch.

Jenny
1389773.  Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote

Very restrained of you!

Efros
1390225.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote

Couple of rounds of toast topped with some commercially available damson jam. Not as good as the pater's but to be honest perfectly acceptable. It also provoked a taste memory which doesn't happen to me very often but the first taste took me straight back to one morning in our living room some 45 years ago. I was drinking a mug of tea accompanied by some toast and damson jam, my dad was sitting in his chair eating his dinner, some kind of curry, and drinking home brew. He had just come home after a 12 hour night shift.

Page 221 of 223
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 220, 221, 222, 223  Next