View previous topic | View next topic

What ARE you eating?

Page 25 of 98
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 96, 97, 98  Next

Efros
909104.  Sun May 13, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Arcane wrote:
I have heard of a trend to have pork a bit pink but I will not buy into that.

Traditionally, the understanding was that pork - unlike other meats - must be served well done. That was to do with a roundworm called Trichinella spiralis, which could infect pigs and be transmitted to humans.

That roundworm has been practically eliminated from pork for human consumption in the developed world - there hasn't been a case of trichinosis from pork for twenty years in Britain or North America. As a result, no longer do we insist that pork must be served well done.

We never have pork as a roast at home since neither of us particularly likes it. But when we have beef or lamb, they are not served well done.

Can't fault you on that suze but no way Jose as it were, pork for me must always be well done. I once got food poisoning from some pork and that is in the back of my head, although I'm sure that had nothing to do with underdoneness.

Oceans Edge
909111.  Sun May 13, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote

The USDA just last year lowered the safe cooking temperature for pork from an internal temperature of 160F to 145F.

Chefs across America celebrated the change - long have the bristled against the 'over-cooking' of pork. I'm rather with them on that. At 160F pork tends to be hard and dry and just not nearly so juicy and tender as it is at 145F.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/dining/porks-safe-cooking-temperature-is-lowered.html?_r=1

Jenny
909117.  Sun May 13, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of pork except in certain specific forms like bacon and ham, though I quite like barbecued spare ribs.

I am currently eating slices of apple, celery and carrot, dipped into either mayonnaise or crunchy peanut butter (I have a small bowl of each in front of me). This is lunch. I am being taken out for supper tonight for Mother's Day - maybe will have spare ribs if they're on offer, as it's something I don't eat often.

Efros
909200.  Sun May 13, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote

Said chili is delicious.

Bondee
910432.  Sun May 20, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote

A roast beef and mustard sandwich.

Two slices of bread, four slices of roast beef and some mustard. Nothing else. No fancy garnishes or greenery.

Just bread, beef and mustard!

Jenny
910532.  Sun May 20, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote

I am cooking up chicken bones and vegetable bits to make stock for a chicken soup for supper. It smells totally delicious.

Efros
910541.  Sun May 20, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Trying the Jewish penicillin, Jenny? Making pulled pork for sandwiches, having the oven on for 5 hours today was not the best move!

Jenny
910571.  Sun May 20, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Ha - I need the Jewish penicillin to deal with my dental issues, Efros. I'm still quite sore, though it doesn't seem to be infected.

filofax
910891.  Tue May 22, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote

When I was a small girl and we didn't have a toaster, my dad always wanted his toast done only on one side, which I thought was a bit strange. Then Sting came out with 'an Englishman in New York' and one of the lines is 'I like my toast done on one side' .

I hadn't realised that this was a British 'thing' - I just thought my dad liked his toast sort of cold and clammy on one side.

So, is it only Sting and my dad?
(and if so, I'm pretty sure that's the only thing they have in common)

Efros
910895.  Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote

I think it dates from the use of toasting forks with fires, certainly if you've ever toasted bread on one of these you cant be bothered waiting for both sides to be done.

Strawberry
910898.  Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote

The song isn't about Sting, though; it's about Quentin Crisp. Maybe that's how Quentin Crisp liked his toast.

Also, i saw a blog that mentioned that some cruise ships do the one sided toast thing. i tried to post a link but it didn't work.

filofax
910908.  Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote

True about the toasting fork. I would think that if you tried to toast it on both sides it would be more hard baked than toasted, but I'm also pretty sure my dad wouldn't know a toasting fork from a banana. Perhaps he got the habit from his mum. Funnily enough, having been a toaster owning family for many years now, today he totally denies any memory of have enjoyed clammy toast in the past.

Of course the song was about Quentin Crisp, who perhaps would have been better named Quentin Soggy, if that's how he liked his toast.

Arcane
910910.  Tue May 22, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote

Strawberry wrote:
The song isn't about Sting, though; it's about Quentin Crisp. Maybe that's how Quentin Crisp liked his toast..

Filofax never said it was about Sting, only that he'd "come out" with the song, ie, sang it.

Strawberry
910911.  Tue May 22, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote

(i thought Filofax's use of the phrase So, is it only Sting and my dad? seemed that she was suggesting that the song was about Sting, though.)

Efros
910917.  Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Sting says, "Well, it's partly about me and partly about Quentin

Just to muddy the waters somewhat.

Page 25 of 98
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 96, 97, 98  Next