View previous topic | View next topic

Why is my nose cold when the rest of my body is warm?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

stellaslogic
868383.  Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post and I,d really like to know peoples views and ideas on why the nose id cold when the rest of the body is warm? I personaly think its because it sticks out the most....my boyfriend thisnks im nuts.
Any ideas or sugestions?
Thanks.

sally carr
868393.  Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:29 am Reply with quote

Welcome Stella, my nose is always colder too, even during a hot flush! My husband and the rest of my family think I'm mad too, play it up, you'll get away with loads!

Gavin
868395.  Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote

Hey Stella. I think the reason is because the nose is a very small part of the human body and it's hardly ever covered up at all. But that's what I think. I'm weird and I'm not that intelligent. Nice typing to you.

Posital
868498.  Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote

It's because the nose is the only part that regularly gets covered in ice cream. The body has naturally evolved in such a way as to stop the ice cream melting away - and so maximise the enjoyment of this chilly dessert.

Isn't nature wonderful.

NinOfEden
868503.  Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote

I find my hands + feet get coldest, probably because they're the furthest reaches of my circulatory system + my blood's cooled down a fair bit by the time it gets to them.
Do you have an uncommonly long nose? As in, about as long as an arm or leg?

Spike
868510.  Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote

As cold air is breathed in through your nose it is warmed by the blood vessels inside the nose so that it reaches your windpipe and lungs at body temperature. If you breathe through your mouth in cold weather it feels pretty raw in you windpipe because the air hasn't had this warming done.
This means the nose acts as a kind of heat exchanger and all it's warmth goes into warming your breath.
Also the capillaries in your exposed skin are constricted so there is very little blood at the surface to warm the skin (it would be a waste of heat).

RLDavies
868731.  Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote

My nose is my temperature gauge. If any part of the body is at less than optimal warmth, the nose will also be cold. If I'm comfy, the nose is too. I figure that's its main function.

Tenshi
868735.  Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote

As a biology student I can happily say that Spike has got it right :)

Saves me a bit of typing.

Spike
868739.  Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
As a biology student I can happily say that Spike has got it right :)

Takes a bow.

Thanks Tenshi ;-)

pdxuser
868785.  Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote

Also, most of your exposed skin has a mass of nice warm meat on the other side to keep you toasty. But your nose is just a few thin strips of tissue with lots of air circulation on all sides. That's too much surface area and wind chill for your tiny nasal capillaries to try to keep warm. Your ears and fingers can have similar problems. So do your toes if they stick out from a blanket.

annebn
868905.  Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Maybe you are in fact a dog, in which case a cool, moist nose is a sign of health.

Jenny
868907.  Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Good point!

Ainee
868952.  Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Like!

billybean
1131697.  Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Spike was bang on, its a heat exchanger. Tenchi could see that too. Why did I not think of that. To prove that its true just breathe through your mouth for a while (15 mins for me) and it should warm up, mine did! My nose was cold all the time for years! Don't know what the long term solution is but I am happy to know how to get some control of this problem.

Thanks Spike, well spotted Tenchi.

Troux
1131716.  Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Have you tried extracting the ice cube?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next