View previous topic | View next topic

Mummy, look what I made!

Page 5 of 21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

sjb
835347.  Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote

We have Aldi, we have Aldi!

I'm going to see what I can find there on the Yorkshire Pudding front when next I go shopping.

Jenny
835468.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote

Arcane - I make cheese sauce the way you do, but the way I was originally taught to make it was to cook the flour in some heated butter first to make a roux and then stir the milk in gradually, which is trickier to do and more inclined to get lumps. I tell myself that the way you and I do it is less calorific, even if the proper chefs would scoff at it.

Spud McLaren
835473.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote

I was about to say that I've never had a cheese sauce split, then when I thought about it I realised I'm not sure what it means. Could someone elucidate?

Southpaw
835479.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going to see what I can find there on the Yorkshire Pudding front when next I go shopping.

Shop bought Yorkshire Puddings are not good. They're so easy to make I don't know why anyone would want to bother with them anyway.

60g all-purpose flour, 75ml milk, 75ml water, 1 egg, salt and pepper. Whisk together, add flour so the consistency is like heavy cream. Let stand for a couple of hours.

Put some lard, dripping or oil in a Yorkshire Pudding or muffin tin, put it in a hot oven for half an hour. Hot fat is a must.

Give the batter a quick whisk, then pour in to the hot fat and cook for 30 minutes until golden brown. Contrary to popular belief you can open the oven during this time, just don't slam it closed.

Spud McLaren
835482.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote

The YPs I've seen lately all have risen at the sides, but not the middle, as if they've crept up the sides of the tin. When I make them (and my mother and grandmother before me) they've risen the same height all over.

Which is correct?

strawhat
835489.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote

They're supposed to have a dip in the middle for keeping things in.

Mine end up spherical.

Southpaw
835498.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote

If you do individual ones in muffin-type tins, they tend to mushroom out. If you do one big one in a larger tin, they tend to dip in the middle. Up to you which you prefer.

'yorz
835515.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
I was about to say that I've never had a cheese sauce split, then when I thought about it I realised I'm not sure what it means. Could someone elucidate?

Curdle. Separates. Chuck-in-bin quality. There probably are ways to mend the split, but I'd abandon ship and restart from scratch.

Southpaw
835517.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Me neither. I use the standard roux+milk method and never have a problem with either splitting or lumpiness. Just use a whisk to mix it while you add the milk.

Spud McLaren
835570.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote

In that case - thank you to those who explained the term - I can confirm that I've never had a cheese sauce split. I chuck all the ingredients except the cheese in together, cold, and whisk violently whilst heating.. When desired consistency and temperature are reached, either take off heat, add cheese and serve immediately, or (if made ahead of time) take off heat and then microwave up to heat when required before adding cheese.

Efros
835609.  Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Tried it every which way, sometimes it works sometimes the SOB splits. It's a bugger!

Southpaw
835643.  Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote

I wonder if the cheese itself is an issue?

Efros
837629.  Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote

Not a comment just something I needed to do!

soup
848132.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote

Reading about Spud's resilience made me think of this.

Soup minimus's potatoes (he grew these himself )

Pentland reds and Pentland cross both grown in the same size container (look to hold about five gallons) but reds seem to have about twice the crop.

'yorz
848148.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote

Oh yessss! These look perfect for the hasselback treatment!

Page 5 of 21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next