View previous topic | View next topic

What tune have you got going round in your head today ?

Page 151 of 153
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152, 153  Next

Brock
1385993.  Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

And talking about over- and underexposed movements... Oh the plight of being German and trying to enjoy Haydn's Emperor Quartet in full!

It must be even worse at the start of each episode of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

AlmondFacialBar
1385995.  Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

And talking about over- and underexposed movements... Oh the plight of being German and trying to enjoy Haydn's Emperor Quartet in full!

It must be even worse at the start of each episode of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

Naw, that's just bog standard slagging and I can handle that.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Awitt
1385999.  Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Quote:
And talking about over- and underexposed movements... Oh the plight of being German and trying to enjoy Haydn's Emperor Quartet in full! You know the second movement, trust me on this, and it's beautiful. Only, well, you listen to the first one and it's also beautiful, but you can't really focus on it because your brain knows exactly what's next and has already earwormed you with it before the first one is even three bars in. Then, finally, the second movement starts. Lovely. You half-arsedly sing along with it feeling vaguely embarassed with yourself even when actually in the privacy of your own shower. And then the tune repeats. Repeatedly in variations.

This is how my brain earworms everything. The same short phrase, over and over. If looking at the music at some point I can recognise where my brain does a hard return back to the start to repeat, again.

tetsabb
1386228.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote

I woke up with this in my head.
Divine harmonies.
As recommended by some American teacher/novelist who used to hang around here.
New novel on the way!

Awitt
1386264.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Chariots of fire, thanks to a dream.

It took me the entire time on my 4am bathroom trip, to think of the name of that work.

cornixt
1386293.  Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote

It's being used in an advert here, in a "makes you think of the Olympics without using that word because they sue everyone" way.

cornixt
1388752.  Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote

I've had Zorba's Dance in my head since I heard that the composer died recently. I love that song.

Alexander Howard
1388753.  Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote

There was a story about the police in Glasgow hunting down Rangers fans who had been singing a traditional supporters' song in the street.

Ever since, I have had an old Bahamian song, The John B, going through my head - sometimes with the Glaswegian lyrics.

Brock
1388760.  Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote

The tune I've had going round my head for some time is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN6CNqfL0Rg

It started out as the (purely instrumental) theme tune to the old BBC Light Programme series Housewives' Choice, written by Jack Strachey and entitled In Party Mood. Then in the 1980s there was a series on Radio 2, entitled When Housewives Had the Choice?, in which Russell Davies and Julie Covington (later Maureen Lipman) looked back at the programme and its era. For its theme tune, Russell Davies added lyrics to the old theme tune and Julie Covington sang them - and the result was pure genius. I thought it had been forgotten about for decades but the lyrics have even been preserved online:

http://nickthecoder.co.uk/wiki/view/Housewives%20Choice#Lyrics

I tried to learn them back in the 80s but failed. Maybe I'll have another go...

RLDavies
1388829.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote

I noticed last night that it's way too easy to segue between Ca Plane Pour Moi and the theme tune from Only Fools and Horses.

Wham, bam, mon chat Splash
Git sur mon lit a bouffé sa langue,
TVs, deep freeze, David Bowie LPs...

AlmondFacialBar
1389260.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote

This, and, worst of all, I put it there myself. That'll teach me to subject innocent Swedish users to budget quality Eurovision jokes...😭

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total

AlmondFacialBar
1389263.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:35 am Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
The tune I've had going round my head for some time is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN6CNqfL0Rg

It started out as the (purely instrumental) theme tune to the old BBC Light Programme series Housewives' Choice, written by Jack Strachey and entitled In Party Mood. Then in the 1980s there was a series on Radio 2, entitled When Housewives Had the Choice?, in which Russell Davies and Julie Covington (later Maureen Lipman) looked back at the programme and its era. For its theme tune, Russell Davies added lyrics to the old theme tune and Julie Covington sang them - and the result was pure genius. I thought it had been forgotten about for decades but the lyrics have even been preserved online:

http://nickthecoder.co.uk/wiki/view/Housewives%20Choice#Lyrics

I tried to learn them back in the 80s but failed. Maybe I'll have another go...

Two questions that come to mind after looking up the show in a bit more detail than I knew before:

* How did Kenneth Horne end up with that particular presenting gig?
* What would have happened if a listener with slightly more sophisticated tastes than the programme appears to have catered to had sent in a request. Would they have played, say, this or this?

Also, the theme tune honest to goodness immediately brings up a mental image of the Python Women's Institute applause inset.

AlmondFacialBar

cornixt
1389685.  Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote

For some reason I have "Fresh chicken in the USA" to the tune of the song "French Kissing...". I must have heard a parody of it or something, I can't think why my brain would invent weird lyrics like that.

tetsabb
1389691.  Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote

For no readily apparent reason, Mr Broose, and Atlantic City
Here's a powerful live version, featuring the late Messrs Clemons and Federici.

AlmondFacialBar
1390667.  Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Wolfgang Niedecken und Complizen - Leechterkette

Popped into my head completely out of the blue while I was making lunch today, after decades of basically having forgotten about its existence (much as the album it's from is literally sitting in a shelf right next to me). The situation described in the song resolved itself not long after of course, but it held up pretty well nevertheless...

AlmondFacialBar

Page 151 of 153
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152, 153  Next