User Wildlife Pics

Page 9 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

hassan el kebir
908812.  Sat May 12, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote

No, no, no, a slug between the toes is far worse than puppy poo

Arcane
908825.  Sat May 12, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote

Or there's standing on the pointy end of an earring and then getting it stuck in your foot, staggering around screaming 'GET IT OUT, GET IT OUT" while your child looks on bewildered.

tetsabb
908869.  Sat May 12, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote

My paternal grandmother had lived in India, and said that the first thing one did in the morning was lean out of bed and shake one's shoes to make sure there were no scorpions in them.
She died when I was 5, and was the only grandparent I met, so this tale has had quite an impact on me -- so much so, that I tend to scroll down past pics of them* quite quickly.

*Scorpions, not grandparents, silly

NinOfEden
908924.  Sat May 12, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote

I think the worst thing I've ever stepped on was a jellyfish.

My uncle was once walkign round the house barefoot when he stood on a cocktails stick that has somehow got stuck in the carpet, + half of it jammed into his foot! He tried to pull it out but it snapped, so he had a good inch or so of cocktail stick embedded in his foot.
But he didn'g get anyone to take him to A+E until the next day, because there was football match on that he wanted to watch.

Strawberry
908927.  Sat May 12, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote

i stepped on a jellyfish once and got stung.

Leith
908935.  Sat May 12, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Fearsome looking critter you have there, Hassan. I've been stung by an Italian scorpion, but those are fairly harmless. Wouldn't fancy tangling with one of those Egyptian ones.

A couple more piccies from my morning visit to the nature reserve:

Dix
908938.  Sat May 12, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote

ooooohhhhh..... this looks like the real, authentic English Bluebell.... and is that a yellow Archangel? Signs of ancient woodland, I'm told.

Showing off after a guided nature walk in the local neck of the woods

Leith
908941.  Sat May 12, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Yes, according to the local records these are the remnants of a wood planted only 200 years ago, but the bluebells, along with the wood anemones and celandines that were out a few weeks back, suggest that it's much older.

Yellow Archangel is often a garden escapee, but I think the one above is a native one (distinguished by the lack of white markings on the leaves apparently: source).

Starfish13
908942.  Sat May 12, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
My uncle was once walkign round the house barefoot when he stood on a cocktails stick that has somehow got stuck in the carpet, + half of it jammed into his foot! He tried to pull it out but it snapped, so he had a good inch or so of cocktail stick embedded in his foot.

I can top that with the story of something that got stuck in my knee when I was 4 from crawling on the carpet with my little sister, which involved long stay in hospital, general anaesthetic and a lasting scar, but its not for the squeamish.

Next most painful thing I've stepped on was an upturned 3-pin plug.

Starfish13
908943.  Sat May 12, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote

The picture of the bluebells is lovely Leith.

AlmondFacialBar
908946.  Sat May 12, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
suze wrote:
bemahan wrote:
I have a feeling it was the same one.

If you allow the mouse to go about its business, the cat will keep catching it until it does so definitively. If you release the mouse into the garden, the cat will find it there too - and in any case, the mouse will probably find its way back into the house.

The advice is to get into the car and take the mouse at least one mile away before releasing it in woods or similar.

Alternatively, I could start posting its photo on the User Pets Pic thread.

My country girl advice is just to let the cat have its way with it. It's vermin, for fuck's sake!

If you insist on trapping, however, fruit and nut chocolate does an admirable job as bait. The raisins are tough enough for the mouse to definitely trigger the mechanism when it's .nibbling on it.

:-)

AlmondFacial

hassan el kebir
910928.  Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote

[url]
washing-up rack gecko by hassan el kebir, on Flickr[/url]

Oh look, another bleedin' gecko.

Judging by the grin on its face, I rather think it may have been hanging around on the ceiling above my head for a bit too long

Arcane
910931.  Tue May 22, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote

Happy gecko is happy. Wah hey.

filofax
910935.  Tue May 22, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote

Also the glazed sheen of its eyes is a bit of a give away. Lucky Hassan - I want a gecko in my kitchen.

tetsabb
910938.  Tue May 22, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote

"Hey, man, which way is up?"

Page 9 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next