View previous topic | View next topic

User Wildlife Pics

Page 8 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

djgordy
905039.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote

A rare short eared, long tailed bunny wabbit found asleep alongside the cycle path.

OK, it's a dead rat.

bemahan
906084.  Wed May 02, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the giggle, dj

Bemacat has been skittish all evening. Eventually I investigated. She usually 'make believes' things to chase so I wasn't expecting anything. It crossed my mind that I hoped it was a mouse rather than a spider, even though we've never had a mouse in either house before. She was pushing her paw behind a piece of paper in the hall. I moved the paper and an ickle mousie ran behind a bag. I managed to catch it under a box, then picked it up in a cloth and put it outside. I'm hoping it's not a house mouse and that Bemacat brought it in.
I've just let bemacat into the hall again and she's searching desperately for her new playmate.

Leith
906091.  Wed May 02, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, wildlife indoors! I guess mice in the house shouldn't generally be considered a good thing, but I used to like seeing the resident mouse at the shared house I lived in after university. On occasion, we'd be up late after a night out, and would see it timidly venture out from under the sofa and sit there on its hind legs, as if it had come to watch TV with us.

We're doing a mammal survey at the nature reserve at the weekend. Would be good to spot a mouse or vole, though I suspect my sightings are more likely to read: squirrel, squirrel, squirrel, squirrel, squirrel, rat, squirrel.

tetsabb
906097.  Wed May 02, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Theo brought in a mouse 10 days ago. We set humane traps and the little bugger got the bait out without springing them.
We think it expired a few days ago behind/under the fridge, but Theo is still doing the predator glare into the gap behind the fridge, as if there is something there, and his Daddy gets a torch to peer to see if there is anything moving....

Oceans Edge
906098.  Wed May 02, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote

what were you baiting them with? we use peanut butter in ours - sticky enough that they can't get it without tripping the trap.

suze
906117.  Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
I guess mice in the house shouldn't generally be considered a good thing.

Oh, I don't know. The cat we had before the current one caught a mouse from time to time. The current incumbent hasn't caught any; whether that's because he's useless or because his predecessor did for all the mice, who knows.

bemahan
906145.  Thu May 03, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote

Aargh! Bemacat dashing about the hall just now. Went to investigate and, lo and behold, another mouse! Bit harder to catch. I have a feeling it was the same one. Only once I'd let it go did I notice there was blood on the cat flap.

Arcane
906146.  Thu May 03, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote

Oooh how spooky... our local area is having a problem with mice too. My mother is laying traps and I'm investigating them (but I want to use a humane one). Shall tell her to try peanut butter.

Starfish13
906211.  Thu May 03, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote

Something small has nibbled at a bag of porridge oats in my kitchen, so I suspect we might have a mouse in the house. It must be a pretty awesome mouse, as my flatmate has two cats and a Jack Russell, although I could easily suspect that they're all useless.

Sadurian Mike
906242.  Thu May 03, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
Only once I'd let it go did I notice there was blood on the cat flap.

You examined the mouse that closely?

suze
906289.  Thu May 03, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I have a feeling it was the same one.

If you allow the mouse to go about its business, the cat will keep catching it until it does so definitively. If you release the mouse into the garden, the cat will find it there too - and in any case, the mouse will probably find its way back into the house.

The advice is to get into the car and take the mouse at least one mile away before releasing it in woods or similar.

strawhat
906324.  Thu May 03, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I saw a peregrine falcon today on the way to Cats Protection. It was larger than a kestrel, and had creamy brown feathers on its back.

Does anyone know if there are peregrines nesting near Ashbourne, as I know there are some at Crich and in Derby City Center.

bemahan
906349.  Thu May 03, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
bemahan wrote:
I have a feeling it was the same one.

If you allow the mouse to go about its business, the cat will keep catching it until it does so definitively. If you release the mouse into the garden, the cat will find it there too - and in any case, the mouse will probably find its way back into the house.

The advice is to get into the car and take the mouse at least one mile away before releasing it in woods or similar.

Alternatively, I could start posting its photo on the User Pets Pic thread.

hassan el kebir
908611.  Fri May 11, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote

[img]
lounge scorpion by hassan el kebir, on Flickr[/img][/url]

This was trotting across my floor the other night. See how the cunning bastards camouflage themselves the same colour as my tiles. I lefy him to do whatever he wanted, it seemed a safer option than trying to shoo him back out of the door.

He was last seen scuttling under Anubis, where he is perfectly welcome to stay if that's what rocks his little boat.

I do enjoy the wildlife in this country even if some of it is a bit unfriendly

Sadurian Mike
908655.  Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote

My amateur (and possibly klaxonable) scorpion-spotting talents suggest that the small claws make that a nasty venomous little bastard*. Anyone know for sure what type it is?

*Big claws = grapple prey so don't need the powerful venom, small claws mean the venom is the primary means to incapacitate prey.

Page 8 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next