View previous topic | View next topic

Only Connect

Page 41 of 42
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next

tetsabb
1161732.  Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote

I, too, guessed binary, but suffer the same issue as Martin.
Also, I certainly identified the sequence beginning 'Ephesus' on the first. Otherwise very few points in our household

suze
1199091.  Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote

This is where the Only Connect thread was hiding!

We're now two shows into a new season. Was tonight's show really quite easy?

I was quite pleased with myself for getting the Ernesto Guevara answer on the second clue, and equally pleased with myself for having no idea whatsoever what the Game of Thrones based question was about.

Given his taste in wives, you'd never have guessed that David Mitchell likes boobs!

tetsabb
1199107.  Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
This is where the Only Connect thread was hiding!

Amazing, innit?

'yorz
1199125.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Given his taste in wives, you'd never have guessed that David Mitchell likes boobs!

Maybe they're not as important for him as apparently they are for you - for him they just come with the package and are a nice bonus? :-)

PDR
1199135.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote

I couldn't believe how long it took them to fail to get the initial letter of months question!

Actually that may soimply be because I'm used to seeing

"J F M A M J J A S O N D"

as a series on the bottom of charts. But I had it as my main candidate on the first square and was yelling at the screen after the second...

PDR

dr.bob
1199138.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote

I'm not entirely convinced about the answer, though.

If the sequence was:

1st: J(3)
2nd=: M(2)
2nd=: A(2)

Then is makes no sense for the final answer to be:
4th: FSOND

Surely the final answer should've been:

4th=: F(1)
(or any of the other letters that only appear once)

In other OC-related rantings, I'm amazed that nobody got the Dr Who question (though I guess they were all hampered by not recognising Neil Tennant (but I'm amazed nobody recognised Neil Tennant!))

PDR
1199141.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

Then is makes no sense for the final answer to be:
4th: FSOND

Surely the final answer should've been:

4th=: F(1)
(or any of the other letters that only appear once)

Indeed, but they claim some poetic license in the need to force it to fit a 4-tile answer format.

We should probably look to endorse that poetic license with six penalty points.

PDR

suze
1199152.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Maybe they're not as important for him as apparently they are for you - for him they just come with the package and are a nice bonus? :-)

Mrs CM was talking about how her husband liked watching Game of Thrones, and how the said body parts are often on display in that show. Couple that with his taste in wives, and it becomes clear what he likes!

PDR wrote:
I couldn't believe how long it took them to fail to get the initial letter of months question!

We didn't get that one, so I cannot share your disbelief. In response to dr.bob's entirely valid quibble, though, I reckon that the answer should actually have been presented as

4th=: S(1)

The tied second places were presented in reverse alphabetical order, and so the tied fourth places should also have been.

It would have been impossibly stringent for the show to have accepted only that answer, and I'm sure that dr.bob's 4th=: F(1) would also have got the points, but that is perhaps what should have been on the card.

PDR
1199153.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote

Perhaps:

4th=:bar(1)

PDR

Efros
1199155.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote

I actually got that, but largely because I use a similar problem with my students,

"What is the next letter in the following sequence?"

OTTFFSSENTETTF

Zziggy
1199156.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote

That reminds me of one of my favourite sequences:

1, 11, 21, 1211, 111221, ...

Efros
1199157.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote

tetsabb
1199166.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote

Sound check complete????

'yorz
1208256.  Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Ms Coren Mitchell dropped a massive stitch tonight. On the theme of Tom Hanks movies, the 4th option would have been Bridge of Spies. Of all the things she mentioned about this film, she omitted to say that the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role went to... (drumroll) Mark Rylance. Unforgivable.

eggshaped
1386319.  Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
eggshaped wrote:
Not exactly a "bridge over Bosnia" suze, at least not how that sounds - more a "bridge around Bosnia".

Thanks egg, I hadn't realized that the bridge wasn't actually over that piece of Bosnia which adjoins the coast. It will still have to cross Bosnian waters though, and it seems that Bosnia is less than keen.

The town of Neum shown on that map extract does not currently have a usable harbour, and neither is there very much of a road from it to the main Bosnian highway network - in practice, most access from Bosnia to Neum is via Croatia. But the Bosnians have ambitions to build a harbour and also to build a motorway standard road to Mostar about 30 miles distant. Accordingly, they are concerned about clearance for shipping under the bridge.

This bridge we discussed 10 years ago was finally built yesterday. They expect to open it late next year.

https://balkaninsight.com/2021/07/29/croatia-celebrates-joining-of-peljesac-bridge/

Page 41 of 42
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next