View previous topic | View next topic

Jujubes

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
832155.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Odd fact about the jujube tree's botanical name:

"The species has a curious nomenclatural history, due to a combination of botanical naming regulations, and variations in spelling. It was first described scientifically by Carolus Linnaeus as Rhamnus zizyphus, in Species Plantarum in 1753. Later, in 1768, Philip Miller concluded it was sufficiently distinct from Rhamnus to merit separation into a new genus, in which he named it Ziziphus jujube, using Linnaeus' species name for the genus but with a probably accidental single letter spelling difference, 'i' for 'y'; for the species name he used a different name, as tautonyms (repetition of exactly the same name in the genus and species) are not permitted in botanical naming. However, because of Miller's slightly different spelling, the combination correctly using the earliest species name (from Linnaeus) with the new genus, Ziziphus zizyphus, is not a tautonym, and therefore permitted as a botanical name; this combination was made by Hermann Karsten in 1882."

[Wiki]

I didn't know the bit about tautonyms being prohibited in botanical naming, as they aren't (?) in the naming of fauna (rattus rattus, lupus lupus, etc). Come to think of it, I didn't know any of the rest of it, either.

Bondee
832296.  Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Odd fact about the jujube tree's botanical name.

Is there a link between the jujube tree and the candy of the same name?

Quote:
Chapter from “Thirty Plants That Can Save Your Life”

That’s right, jujubes could save your life. In fairness I must tell you that the jujube I am referring to is not the confection sold at the dime store and movie house, I refer to the real jujube. The real jujube fruit is the product of an Asian tree, jujube ziziphus. Few Westerners have had the pleasure of tasting this life giving and restoring sweet treat. Is there any connection between the confection jujube and the plant? Yes.

Though clearly different items, there is a connection between the two. The jujube is a tree native to the orient that produces a fruit that looks like an olive, but tastes like an apple. The jujube produces the preferred fruit of the Orient, for health and table eating.Whereas we Westerners say an apple a day keep the doctor away, the Asians feel a jujube a day keeps the doctor away.

These dried fruits, sometimes called Chinese dates, were one item that made its way from Asia into Europe during the days of Marco Polo. In the dried state the fruit is quite sugary, though less than our usual date, it found great favor in Europe . In time the term that specifically applied to the jujube fruit came to apply to any dried sweat meat, and then in turn came to apply to candy. Though the candies sold at the theater have no natural ingredients, that is to my knowledge, the name sake is quite a natural product.

source

Efros
832297.  Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote

Sugar is natural.

rewboss
832305.  Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Sugar is natural.

By that token, almost everything, even ketchup, could be described as "natural".

If by "sugar" you mean the white crystalline substance used to sweeten and add bulk, it's so heavily processed as to stretch the definition of "natural" almost to breaking point. First, the sugarcane has to be crushed, and the juice extracted and filtered. The juice is then treated with lime to remove impurities, before being boiled and allowed to cool, and then a centrifuge removes the excess liquid from the sucrose crystals. Usually, more refining is required, which involves mixing the raw sugar with a heavy syrup, putting it through another centrifuge, dissolved, treating it with phosphoric acid and calcium hydroxide, bleached using activated charcoal, concentrated, and crystallized in a vacuum. Oh, and it has to be dried carefully to stop it clumping.

Efros
832401.  Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote

rewboss wrote:
Efros wrote:
Sugar is natural.

By that token, almost everything, even ketchup, could be described as "natural".

If by "sugar" you mean the white crystalline substance used to sweeten and add bulk, it's so heavily processed as to stretch the definition of "natural" almost to breaking point. First, the sugarcane has to be crushed, and the juice extracted and filtered. The juice is then treated with lime to remove impurities, before being boiled and allowed to cool, and then a centrifuge removes the excess liquid from the sucrose crystals. Usually, more refining is required, which involves mixing the raw sugar with a heavy syrup, putting it through another centrifuge, dissolved, treating it with phosphoric acid and calcium hydroxide, bleached using activated charcoal, concentrated, and crystallized in a vacuum. Oh, and it has to be dried carefully to stop it clumping.

True but I still maintain that sugar is a natural product.

'yorz
832411.  Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote

I agree. It's not a synthetic product. Whatever is done to/with it after it was harvested, is irrelevant.

Jenny
832566.  Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I've split this thread out from the random J thread as it seemed to have garnered some discussion.

Spud McLaren
832589.  Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote

We could relink the doffcocking back to J by noting the connection between sugar and jaggery.

'yorz
832622.  Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote

It seems that this jaggeree is the very thing that lurked in my late father's desk drawer. A deep dark brown lump of pure sugar that he would nibble on. It lasted forever. We would try it every now and then, but it definitely was a required taste. You could/can buy it from Indonesian tokos and it goes by the name of Gula Djawah.

'yorz
832634.  Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote

The only jujubes I know are of the very salty kind. After at least 20 years of abstinence, I think I'd slowly keel over if I'd try them now.

dr bartolo
832635.  Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote

I prefer the sort made by hudson's

Page 1 of 1