View previous topic | View next topic

What are you reading today ?

Page 1 of 88
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88  Next

scoot
730115.  Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote

Just started perusing The Snark Handbook. I would certainly recommend it, although, I suspect that quite a few of you have already read it. :)

Jenny
730159.  Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Jenny wrote:
interweaved

Never heard that one before. Can one use both interwoven and the above?

Umm - not sure whether one can or whether I just emulated Sarah Palin and 'refudiate' :-)

suze
730183.  Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote

"Interwoven" out-Googles "interweaved" by about 12:1.

Since I'm on vacation, I don't have access to the shelf full of paper dictionaries that I normally would - but the first online dictionary I consulted allows either.

zomgmouse
730249.  Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote

Finished The Cider House Rules, started Nicholas Nickleby.

Starfish13
730263.  Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote

I've just started The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I very much liked the Shadow of the Wind, especially the idea of the cemetry of forgotten books, and the dark, gothic style. The Angel's game is just as beautifully written and seems to promise that it won't disappoint.

Ion Zone
730301.  Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
with religious types being rather less keen to line up and take pot-shots at it.

The weird American creationists maybe. You'll find this funny: evolution is taught in Catholic faith schools, but not in our state schools.

Dawk is running around yelling "The world is round, and I have plenty of evidence to support that!" While obsessively googling himself.

AnneB
730303.  Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See.

suze
730310.  Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
You'll find this funny: evolution is taught in Catholic faith schools, but not in our state schools.

Well evolution is taught in the vast, vast majority of our state schools - it's only a small handful which have been alleged to prefer Creationism.

The other part of the statement doesn't surprise me at all though - while there are some Catholics who are Young Earth Creationists, the position is very much more common among Protestants.

Ion Zone
730314.  Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Really? I thought they hadn't done that yet. I was never taught anything about evolution in the state-run secondary school I attended. I know I missed it completely in the Catholic seconder I attended.

Link

Neotenic
730322.  Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote

I was most certainly taught about evolution in school.

That linky talks about explicit inclusion of evolution in the primary curriculum. Not taught in primary schools does not equate to not taught in state schools.

I think you may also do well to remember that your personal experience may not represent the wider reality of the situation.

Ion Zone
730377.  Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote

It was Homewood comprehensive in Tenterden, they had about two and a half thousand pupils when I left, it's catchment area includes most of Kent.

Glad to see some state schools teach it, at least.

Neotenic
730379.  Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote

I'd be very surprised if evolution is not part of the GCSE Science papers. Plus, I see that there are just shy of 100 secondary schools in Kent.

But, anyway, if you don't have any ideological issues with evolution, then you should read the book - it's very interesting.

suze
730441.  Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Its catchment area includes most of Kent.

Its catchment area is big, but not that big!

The point here is that it's a comprehensive school, and Kent doesn't have very many of those. This is so because its catchment area is rural (Tenterden is a town of 7,000, and there is no other town of greater size for miles), and it's just not viable to have both a grammar school and a secondary school.

But part of Ashford also falls within the catchment area, even though Ashford is fifteen miles away - Ashford has grown considerably in recent years, and doesn't have enough schools. What's more, a lot of Ashford parents who either don't approve of the grammar school system, or whose children are not expected to gain entrance to a grammar school, choose it.

And GCSE Science does cover evolution. It doesn't teach it as "this is right; the alternative theory supported by some Christians is wrong"; it teaches it as a theory. I don't doubt that a small proportion of teachers endeavour to teach it as a theory with which they disagree, but if they didn't teach it at all they'd be failing to comply with the curriculum.

And if a school in the state sector is failing to do that, Ofsted would be quite interested to know about it.

Jenny
730458.  Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote

I just finished Wildwood. Beautiful in all aspects - nature writing, travel writing and memoir.

Ion Zone
730509.  Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Suze

I don't know what's with that. I know I never learnt about evolution there. I have no idea why, but they were pretty bad in any case, so it wouldn't surprise me if I wasn't in the class or they missed teaching it to us for some reason or other.

Quote:
But, anyway, if you don't have any ideological issues with evolution, then you should read the book - it's very interesting.

I'd rather read the new Dan Brown....and I hate his books. Personally, I loath Dawk more than people like (say) the youtube 'banana proves creation' guy (or Westbro for that matter)....simply because he gets away with it. Bile and bad logic is all the same, his just has better PR. Yeah, 0k, this isn't the same subject, but it looks like the same insecure self-love, and probably the same prejudice.

Lets just leave it at that. :P

Quote:
What are you reading today?

Hmmm, books. I've just bought the Complete Vegetarian for a friends birthday, we'll see what it's like this week. I am currently without a novel to read, again....

Page 1 of 88
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88  Next