View previous topic | View next topic

The Venting Thread

Page 1 of 24
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

crissdee
1093925.  Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote

Re my scribblings; thanks for the various advices people, the PDF thing looks worth investigating. I'm not so much looking at profitable publishing just yet (want to get at least 20 together first, just starting No18). I was thinking more of a small run for personal distribution to any QIers who fancied a gander at my work (CharliesDragon expressed an interest, thought there might be more). The self publishing route is not something I would be looking at, I'm not that vain tbh. If my work's worth publishing I'll find someone who wants to do it. My novel went on the "print on demand" scheme, the demand turned out to be five copies.

In the meantime, my brother is running off five copies on his office printer. Get 'em while they're hot folks!

 
tetsabb
1093996.  Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote

I feel that, for those with vents, this should prove a smile-inducing antidote

Bear cub on Golf course

I don't know if the rules at the Royal and Ancient cover a bear moving your balls* on the green -- free drop?

*Yes........

 
RLDavies
1094000.  Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
The self publishing route is not something I would be looking at, I'm not that vain tbh.

You don't have to put it on the market. Think of them as a bespoke printer.

1. Sign up with Lulu.
2. Decide what format you want, and download the corresponding template.
3. Format your work according to the template.
4. Design a cover using their cover wizard.

If you don't want editing services, an ISBN, Amazon distribution, etc. then I believe -- but don't hold me to this! -- that all of the above is free. The only thing you pay for is buying copies of the finished book. The cost depends on size and format, but a novella-length story printed as an A5 saddle-stitched (stapled) book (black and white interior, colour cover) should be about 2.

They can also do it up as an e-book, and then you and friends/family can have whichever format you prefer.

 
suze
1094009.  Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
I don't know if the rules at the Royal and Ancient cover a bear moving your balls* on the green -- free drop?


Thanks to Andy for golf knowledge and for knowing where to look for the details ...!

The Rules of Golf must have been written by a bored local government official - they are voluminous in the extreme. That's why players sometimes have to stop the game in order to seek advice from a Rules Official - the rules are so detailed that players can't be expected to know them all. Some golf clubs, I'm being told, go so far as to hold Rules of Golf quizzes. Please be sure to kill us both if Andy ever expresses an intention to take part in one ...

But in fact, this particular situation is well understood and is covered by Rule 18.1: "If a ball at rest is moved by an outside agency, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced."

So you just put your ball back where it was and carry on as if nothing happened.


Now, let us imagine that the bear cub is still on the green playing with, as it were, your balls. The Rules cannot cover every conceivable situation, and are supplemented by "Official Decisions". And the United States Golf Association has an Official Decision (Official Decision 1.4.10) which states that the player may take a free drop to gain relief from a "dangerous animal". This Decision was originally made after a number of clubs in Texas had asked for a ruling to cover rattlesnakes, but there's no reason why it shouldn't also apply to bears.

You don't drop when on the green, so instead of dropping your ball you may place it onto the green not nearer the hole and away from the dangerous animal.

Strictly, the Royal and Ancient is not bound by Official Decisions of the US Golf Association. But in practice, the two bodies accept each other's rulings except on the rare occasions when one publishes a dissent from the other. The R&A has not dissented from this ruling re dangerous animals.

 
tetsabb
1094039.  Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote

If anyone was going to know...... :-)

Of course, one question about that video is "Where was Mummy Bear while this guy filmed her cubs?"
I have this image in my head of her, standing behind him, tapping him on the shoulder and asking "Are you some kind of paedophile, filming my kids?"

 
Awitt
1094067.  Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote

She wouldn't bother asking, she'd just roar and/or paw swipe.

 
crissdee
1094070.  Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
crissdee wrote:
The self publishing route is not something I would be looking at, I'm not that vain tbh.

You don't have to put it on the market. Think of them as a bespoke printer.

1. Sign up with Lulu.
2. Decide what format you want, and download the corresponding template.
3. Format your work according to the template.
4. Design a cover using their cover wizard.

If you don't want editing services, an ISBN, Amazon distribution, etc. then I believe -- but don't hold me to this! -- that all of the above is free. The only thing you pay for is buying copies of the finished book. The cost depends on size and format, but a novella-length story printed as an A5 saddle-stitched (stapled) book (black and white interior, colour cover) should be about 2.

They can also do it up as an e-book, and then you and friends/family can have whichever format you prefer.


Thanks Robbie, this is another thing I can look into when I have enough work to constitute a decent sized book.

 
Peregrine Arkwright
1094075.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote

.


Let me through, Im a banker - or I was 1979-86, anyway.
RLDavies wrote:
I'm with Suze.
Overdraft facility = the right to be overdrawn by up to a certain amount without penalty
Overdraft = actually being overdrawn, which can be agreed (within the limits of the facility) or unagreed
But knowing how the term is used so vaguely, if a financial entity asked me if I had an overdraft, I'd ask them to clarify the question. Or say "I have an agreed overdraft facility of X amount, but am not overdrawn."
Spot on guys: but so far as I know an overdraft facility is illegal in the USA. Instead you have to negotiate a specific loan for a specific period, and there may even be a penalty clause for early repayment.

I could Bore For Britain on the quintessential differences between British and American banking theory and practice - but they say a lot about the quite different cultural, business and financial evolution of the two countries. Hell's bells. I was the European PR supremo who had to spend five years explaining to Europeans of all shapes and sizes that "Chemical Bank" did not actually mean we had large vats of obnoxious liquids in the vaults. It is so much easier nowadays when my direct successors in that institution are spokesmen for something called "JP Morgan-Chase".
Peregrine Arkwight

 
RLDavies
1094097.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote

Peregrine Arkwright wrote:
I was the European PR supremo who had to spend five years explaining to Europeans of all shapes and sizes that "Chemical Bank" did not actually mean we had large vats of obnoxious liquids in the vaults.

Had to laugh at that. You must admit, the name does conjure up the image.

 
NinOfEden
1094122.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote

My wisdom teeth are on the warpath again. I keep feeling these new little lumps in the back of my mouth and thinking I've got a bit of food stuck there. Really annoying. >_<

 
RLDavies
1094124.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote

When mine were coming through (or rather, trying but failing to come through) I realised why babies want to chew on things. It feels so much better.

Have you checked with your dentist to make sure they've got room to sprout?

 
cornixt
1094143.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
The self publishing route is not something I would be looking at, I'm not that vain tbh.

My bro-in-law created an A4-size 50 page book in a desktop publishing program, uploaded it to Amazon and it sells for less than $20, printed on demand whenever anyone orders it. No outlay.

 
tetsabb
1094162.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
She wouldn't bother asking, she'd just roar and/or paw swipe.


Of course, we do not necessarily know if the golfers survived the encounter -- the camera or phone may be all that is left of them!

This does remind me of the joke about the advice given to someone going to a wildlife park.
"To deter bears, wear bells on your clothing, and cover yourself in pepper"

At the entrance, they find a notice that says to look out for the spoor of bears -- "It often contains bells and smells of pepper"

 
Jenny
1094177.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Peregrine Arkwright wrote:
.
Spot on guys: but so far as I know an overdraft facility is illegal in the USA. Instead you have to negotiate a specific loan for a specific period, and there may even be a penalty clause for early repayment.

I could Bore For Britain on the quintessential differences between British and American banking theory and practice - but they say a lot about the quite different cultural, business and financial evolution of the two countries. Hell's bells. I was the European PR supremo who had to spend five years explaining to Europeans of all shapes and sizes that "Chemical Bank" did not actually mean we had large vats of obnoxious liquids in the vaults. It is so much easier nowadays when my direct successors in that institution are spokesmen for something called "JP Morgan-Chase".
Peregrine Arkwight


Not nowadays, though the overdraft facility at the small local bank where we keep some of our accounts is only $500 and it costs you $32 a transaction if you go overdrawn - hence it is only ever used by accident and accompanied by much cursing on the rare occasions when it happens! HSBC in the USA, where I have my personal account, transfers any transaction that overdraws your account to your HSBC credit card.

 
crissdee
1094201.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote

From the "Evening Standard" today.

James Cracknell says "It is too easy for dads to work longer each night to pay the mortgage" hence they miss their kids growing up. No you privileged fool, they work late so they CAN pay the fecking mortgage!

A campaign is apparently on hand to get some kind of London memorial to Mrs Thatcher. I have no strong feelings either way, but there are one or two people who REALLY did not care for the woman. How long would such a memorial remain unvandalised?

 

Page 1 of 24
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group