View previous topic | View next topic

Transcription site

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

violetriga
79752.  Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Not seen this mentioned, so I don't know if people know about this yet...

http://www.freewebs.com/qitranscripts

Perhaps the people behind it are reg'd here?

Gaazy
79790.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote

I'm mildly surprised that this posting hasn't received a reply, so I'm going to provide one.

Reading through a programme as transmitted takes a tenth or less of the time of actually watching it, so this could be a valuable resource for somebody searching for a choice moment from a show for whatever reason.

A labour of love, though, transcribing.

Davini994
79792.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote

Wow, thats impressive. We won't have as much fun arguing about what was said now though ;)

MinervaMoon
79802.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:22 am Reply with quote

Ah! By God, that's my site. And http://www.qitranscripts.com is registered too, for people who don't want to deal with silly hosting-site URLs.

Transcribing is, by and large, a labour of ridiculously-huge and possibly-disproportionate love. As I've just emailed off to the kind poster who reminded me to check QI.com and thus, allowed me to find this post:

Even though I go into each transcription all revved up, I somehow always end up yelling at the computer/panelists for some hitch or other. My latest one is, "Damn it, John Sessions. Stop speaking in Welsh or else I shall have to kill you, especially since I Googled it and I think you're MAKING IT ALL UP." (I put that into my Word file, actually. Hope I remember to take it off before it goes online.)

One person on LiveJournal questioned why I would go through all the trouble when one can just watch the episode, but transcripts are, as was stated, much easier to access, and much better to refer to when wanting an exact quote. I just know I'm going to be held to that if I get something wrong, but I am pretty meticulous about my process. You couldn't guess the length of time it takes to do one show for me to consider it "efficient". My klaxons are ready, so I'll just tell you the answer: about 8 hours. That's from opening up a word file to pressing "submit" online. I told you it was insane. And that's on a good day, when I'm not, for instance, yelling at John Sessions.

Anyway, here's hoping that you guys enjoy what I do! I'm aiming for higher accuracy than what's spewed out by paid transcribers who can't even hope to like QI a billionth as much as I do.

Last edited by MinervaMoon on Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gaazy
79804.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote

Did John Sessions speak in Welsh?

MinervaMoon
79805.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:31 am Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:

I have no clue! He jumps in, rather randomly, with, "Keep off the grass, in Welsh?", waits for confirmation from Stephen, then says something that, quite interestingly, sounds almost like "Don't cross the lawn." If that weren't enough, he tacks on the Welsh for "daddy longlegs" and "ironing board".

I checked on it, and what I found wasn't anything like he said. And he did say "Welsh," not, like, "Urdu", so I am looking at the right dictionaries/translators . . .

Hans Mof
79807.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote

How about subtitles?
Admittedly, they are cut short sometimes but still I would think, that they can be quite usefull.

Gaazy
79808.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
Gaazy wrote:

I have no clue! He jumps in, rather randomly, with, "Keep off the grass, in Welsh?", waits for confirmation from Stephen, then says something that, quite interestingly, sounds almost like "Don't cross the lawn." If that weren't enough, he tacks on the Welsh for "daddy longlegs" and "ironing board".

I checked on it, and what I found wasn't anything like he said. And he did say "Welsh," not, like, "Urdu", so I am looking at the right dictionaries/translators . . .

If you can provide a soundfile of what he says, I'll translate it for you.

Gaazy
79809.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quote

By the way, daddy longlegs is 'pry heglog' (pree heg log) and ironing board is 'bwrdd smwddio' (boorrdh smoodhyo).

tetsabb
79832.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote

Minerva, bless you for this labour of love.

Gaazy wrote
Quote:
By the way, daddy longlegs is 'pry heglog' (pree heg log) and ironing board is 'bwrdd smwddio' (boorrdh smoodhyo).

"boorrdh smoodhyo"?? Presumably the Welsh did not have such things while the language was evolving, or they have borrowed from pidgin. Or a touch of the Fast Show -- "Scorchio"

swot
79841.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote

Endless thanks Minerva. I no longer have to suffer the annoyance of missing half the jokes because I live with unreasonably loud people.

Gaazy
79842.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:

"boorrdh smoodhyo"?? Presumably the Welsh did not have such things while the language was evolving, or they have borrowed from pidgin. Or a touch of the Fast Show -- "Scorchio"

Not quite with you there, tetsabb - 'bwrdd' is a very old word indeed, probably older than English. Admittedly 'smwddio' is cognate with 'smoothing' (as in 'smoothing iron'), but then why is English so spectacularly successful?

Because it borrows words LR&C.

MinervaMoon
79873.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:

Oh, hey. Thanks for that. The ironing board one meshes with what he said; here're the other two:

http://media.putfile.com/temp-Welsh

I think I sort-of have the words "croesi" and "lawnt". But with me not being familiar with word one of Welsh, I'm only making guesses.

Gaazy
79884.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, Min - I can confirm that he gets 'bwrdd smwddio' right, but the rest is a bit of a mess.

His translation of 'Keep off the grass' appears to be 'Ni chroeswch y lawnt' (though his pronunciation is based largely on reading the Welsh words as though they were English ones - so 'y lawnt' comes out as 'ee lo(r)nt' rather than 'e(r) lownt'), which means, as Stephen says, 'don't cross the lawn'. Or rather it doesn't - it does in actual fact mean 'You don't cross the lawn'.

'Don't cross the lawn' would be 'Na chroeswch y lawnt', though this would be risibly formal, and really ought to be 'Peidiwch chroesi'r lawnt'.

None of this, of course, means 'Keep off the grass' - that would be roughly 'Peidiwch mynd ar y glaswellt'.

His expression for daddy longlegs is not one I've come across, nor one that appears in any dictionary, but feels like a genuine Welsh term - jac y baglau - though if it means anything, it means 'Crutches Jack'.

Apart from 'pry heglog' ('leggy insect'), the only other alternative possibilities seem to be 'corryn heglog' and 'copyn heglog', both of which mean 'leggy spider'.

MinervaMoon
79891.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote

You are unbelievably helpful. Thank you! "A bit of a mess" is exactly what I thought of it. It was bad enough in 2x12 when Stephen threw in the word "ashtray" -- in Greek. (I finally figured out that Answers.com translates words into multiple languages.) These phrases, however, were hopeless. In my lack of Tolkein-like proficiency with multiple languages, it's immensely helpful to know people who are knowledgable in them.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next