View previous topic | View next topic

Wot, no cricket? Ashes 2013

Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Celebaelin
1011220.  Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote

I'm surprised that no-ones started a thread on the cricket yet but fear not I will intervene; for those of us who long to hear the sound of willow on leather someone else will have to start a BDSM thread though.

England's win in the first test* raises the possibility, incredible as it may seem, of a triple whammy of Lions Tour, Wimbledon and The Ashes - do we dare to dream? Well, yes frankly.

* by 14 runs on day five - a bit of a thriller by cricketing standards.

djgordy
1011223.  Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote

Let's not forget that Jim Collins from Haddenham, Cambridgeshier, won the world peashooter championship yesterday.

Let's also not forget that Mike Hobbs of Dorchester and Mei Lang of West Bay, Dorset, respectively won the male and female sections of the world stinging nettle eating championship last month.

Sporting titans are in our midst.

Celebaelin
1011228.  Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote

Well not quite in our midst exactly - there's no Edgbaston test this year sadly.

suze
1011234.  Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote

We did listen to today's climax to the match. We don't have Sky, so watching it was not an option.

I struggle to get excited by cricket, except for Twenty 20 which I quite enjoy but cricket-loving husband can't abide. But the cricket today was really quite exciting.

Jenny
1011257.  Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote

I thought I might watch the cricket, but I had some drying paint to watch instead.

Sadurian Mike
1011261.  Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote

Varnish in my case.

'yorz
1011266.  Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote

I am only reading this thread because I want to postpone the moment that I will have finished the book I have been enjoying over the past weeks.

tetsabb
1011288.  Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote

I had the interweb open at work, and was conscious of the Antipodeans needing 20 to win with 1 wicket standing.
We then got infernally busy at work, as someone had thrown themselves off a bridge in front of a large truck.
Got home, and almost dreaded seeing the result. But yay!
I genuinely think England are the better team all round, and should win the series. Let's face it, aside from the Astoundng Ashton Agar, who on the Aus side batted with anything like aplomb*?

*Yes there are jokes can be made.....

barbados
1011618.  Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
We did listen to today's climax to the match. We don't have Sky, so watching it was not an option.

I struggle to get excited by cricket, except for Twenty 20 which I quite enjoy but cricket-loving husband can't abide. But the cricket today was really quite exciting.

I've a feeling that T20 was developed for girls. It probably has something to do with concentration levels - proper cricket is very hard work to get involved in because it, usually, takes a long time to develop.

I'm struggling to remember the last 5 day game where there have been so many twists and turns. One thing that really disappointed me is the furor that has surrounded Broad not walking. The fact was that he was not given out, and as I'm sure any playing colleague of Darren Lehmann would have done the same. Stop crying about it and get on with the rest of the series

djgordy
1011620.  Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:

I've a feeling that T20 was developed for girls.

LIke overarm bowling was, supposedly developed for girls.....

The story is that underarm bowling was the norm until Chriistina Willis had a go. Due to her wide skirts she was unable to bowl in the normal way and so started to bowl overarm.

www.dreamcricket.com/dreamcricket/news.hspl?nid=16884&ntid=3

So basically, all modern cricketers bowl like a girl.

brunel
1011760.  Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
suze wrote:

I've a feeling that T20 was developed for girls. It probably has something to do with concentration levels - proper cricket is very hard work to get involved in because it, usually, takes a long time to develop.

I'm struggling to remember the last 5 day game where there have been so many twists and turns. One thing that really disappointed me is the furor that has surrounded Broad not walking. The fact was that he was not given out, and as I'm sure any playing colleague of Darren Lehmann would have done the same. Stop crying about it and get on with the rest of the series

T20 cricket was ostensibly developed because the ECB thought that a fast paced shorter event would be more popular with broadcasters, who would, in turn, be able to promote the game more effectively (at about 3 hours for an entire game, that makes it more comparable in length to most sporting events).

djgordy
1012144.  Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:

England's win in the first test* raises the possibility, incredible as it may seem, of a triple whammy of Lions Tour, Wimbledon and The Ashes - do we dare to dream? Well, yes frankly.

Lucky you didn't include the women's Euro football in that list.

suze
1012200.  Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote

But what about the Tour de France? This could be the third year running that a British person has achieved something important at th... Oh. Hold on. What's that?

Mark Cavendish (Winner of five stages and points winner, 2011) is Manx. Sir Bradley Wiggins (winner of general classification, 2012) is Belgian. And Chris Froome (current leader of general classification, 2013) is actually Kenyan.

Damnit.

djgordy
1012233.  Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote

Leaving aside the other two, Mark Cavendish is definitely British as the definition of "British" includes citizens and natives of Crown Dependencies.

filofax
1012245.  Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote

The other two are British as well, imho.

You might have a case to argue with Chris Froome who was brought up in Kenya, so could possibly identify culturally with that country, although he apparently said
"Although I was riding under the Kenyan flag I made it clear that I had always carried a British passport and felt British."

Bradley Wiggins happened to be born in Belgium, but moved back to the UK with his British mother when he was two.

I was born in the USA, but absolutely consider myself to be British. My son was born in Italy, but holds a British passport, not an Italian one

Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next