View previous topic | View next topic

Only Connect

Page 1 of 20
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

eggshaped
763651.  Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote

University Challenge was a good one tonight, too. If you didn't watch it, then check it out on iPlayer - it's worth half an hour of your day IMO.

dr.bob
763852.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote

Talking of UC, and hopefully not about to derail the thread, but I just caught the end of it and heard the final question which was something along the lines of "which is the second smallest two digit prime number of which both individual numbers is also a prime?"

The guy buzzed in and answered 13, which is what I thought since 11 would be the smallest, but he was told he was wrong.

Did I mis-hear the question?

djgordy
763854.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote

A prime number has to have two distinct natural number divisors. 1, therefore is not a rime number as only has one natural number divisor. 2 is the smallest prime number as it had two divisors (2 and 1). Of course, then 13 would not count as only one of the digits would be a prime number. Perhaps it was just a badly worded question though I'd have to hear the exact wording again.

I was amused at an episode of UC a couple of weeks ago. There was a team from some art college in London and when the teams introduced themselves at the beginning of the show one of the team said that she was "reading drawing".

suze
763871.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote

It's always been a mild annoyance with UC that Mr Paxman never gives the answer to the question which is ongoing when the bong sounds.

As for that particular question, we think the answer is 37 (the first such number being 23). But how anyone would ever get to the answer in the few seconds provided I have no clue.

tetsabb
763872.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Unless it was just one of those things they happened to know, as I do now.

tetsabb
763901.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Blast and buggeration! I turned on the box to have my fix of Only Connect, which should have recorded last night, only to find that it had dropped from the list, due to some update finagling we had to do with the digi-box last week; I thought I had re-set it.
Piffle

soup
763922.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

As for that particular question, we think the answer is 37 (the first such number being 23).

27?

davidbod
763933.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote

Hays Code wrote:

II. Sex
2. Scenes of Passion
b. Excessive and lustful kissing, lustful embraces, suggestive postures and gestures, are not to be shown.

This is the key section. The Hays Code was a general set of guidelines and didn't go into the details of was considered 'excessive' (nor did it list things like the famous 43 banned words etc.).

But if anyone can find a 1940s Hollywood film with a couple rolling around on a double bed, I'm all eyes...

Vera C
763941.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote

soup wrote:
suze wrote:

As for that particular question, we think the answer is 37 (the first such number being 23).

27?

27 is not prime. Suze's answer is correct.

suze
763944.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Blast and buggeration! I turned on the box to have my fix of Only Connect, which should have recorded last night, only to find that it had dropped from the list, due to some update finagling we had to do with the digi-box last week; I thought I had re-set it.
Piffle

iPlayer ...

soup
763961.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Vera C wrote:
soup wrote:
suze wrote:

27?

27 is not prime. Suze's answer is correct.

Yup quite right. Soup take fifty lines "do not post without thinking" .

Efros
763965.  Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote

Or at least dividing by 3 or 9.

eggshaped
764063.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote

Quote:
But if anyone can find a 1940s Hollywood film with a couple rolling around on a double bed, I'm all eyes.

I think "In the Meantime, Darling" could be one:

Quote:
It was the first film to show a married couple in bed since the Motion Picture Production Code was established in 1934, a fact that greatly pleased Preminger.

s: *Ahem* wiki

More than looking for movies with people rolling around on a bed, though, we should be looking for actual examples of movies where actors specifically have their feet on the floor, I suppose.

No answer from the BFI yet.

tetsabb
764138.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
tetsabb wrote:
Piffle

iPlayer ...

Not the fastest computer on the planet. Am trying, but have to pause it, do something else for a few minutes while it loads the next few mins. So far I have washed up the ashtrays, cleared catpoo from the litter, and posted this. My life is too full of excitement.

tetsabb
764159.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Phew! Managed it, after several pauses for loading to take place.
Perked the fire up a bit halfway through, too!
I thought the web error codes was a bit obvious, meself.

Page 1 of 20
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next