View previous topic | View next topic

HAPPY NEWS!!!

Page 1 of 102
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Spud McLaren
1026752.  Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Ordered.
One for everyone here who asked, except PDR (who wants one for each nipple), plus one for Miss McLaren.

I make that ten.

PDR
1026760.  Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote

No, one for each personality. I told you - I'm bringing a spare to the party.

PDR

(of course the other one is for SWMBO)

'yorz
1026772.  Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote

How much is it worth to you not to have SWMBO informed about your dalliances here?

Strawberry
1026884.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote

Yesterday, my father said something that made me feel proud of him.

tetsabb
1026890.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote

Strawberry wrote:
Yesterday, my father said something that made me feel proud of him.

Are you able to share?

Strawberry
1026903.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote

Yes.

He was talking about a shop that's near where he lives and he said that some people call it a P*ki shop. Some people include the woman that he lives with. And her youngest daughter. He said that he told them both that the people running the shop are from Africa. He also told them that they're refugees and that they came to England to escape Idi Amin.

Also, I said that maybe it should be called an African shop if that's where its owners are from. And my father said Yes, but some people think that people that aren't white are the same. :/ It makes me feel sad that some people think that way but I'm proud of him for what he said to that woman and her youngest daughter.

crissdee
1026906.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:
I'm hated by the Daily Mail!

Also, we're almost there with the house. :D

I finally got round to doing this, and I'm only loathed. I suspect its because I'm not doing the pre-marital thing, and not by choice I might add! Still, if SWSOIWLTB makes up her mind, there's still time for me to be hated!

Yes, I was right! saying yes to pre marital makes me hated.

Also, went for a check up yesterday, my recovery is progressing as it should with all levels heading in the right direction. Clips and wee catheter come out on Monday. PD cath remains for a few weeks JIC.

Spud McLaren
1026910.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote

Strawberry wrote:
...Also, I said that maybe it should be called an African shop if that's where its owners are from. And my father said Yes, but some people think that people that aren't white are the same.
Well, bloody good for your dad! I'll stand him an e-pint.

IIRC, some of the people fleeing the Amin regime were of Indian extraction.

Crissdee seems to be on top of things, too - excellent.

I thought I was going to be incommunicado for the weekend, but the b&b has free wifi, and I have my cheap Android tablet. 'Rah!

AlmondFacialBar
1026911.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
...Also, I said that maybe it should be called an African shop if that's where its owners are from. And my father said Yes, but some people think that people that aren't white are the same.
Well, bloody good for your dad! I'll stand him an e-pint.

Not that it would make a difference to their suffering or that woman's bigotry...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
1026920.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote

Good for Papastrawb!
And good news from crissdee -- keep healing, lad.
Quote:
if SWSOIWLTB makes up her mind

Is the charm offensive working yet?

Spud McLaren
1026945.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Spud McLaren wrote:

Not that it would make a difference to their suffering or that woman's bigotry...
No, I shouldn't think it would. I can see why people would think of them as Indian/Pakistani, though that isn't a justification of bigotry, assuming she was being bigotted.

suze
1026975.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote

In fact, the vast majority of the people who left Uganda for the UK in 1972 were of Indian origin.

Little history lesson. Many will know this already, but some won't. In the days of the British Empire, the British rulers in East Africa weren't convinced that black Africans were intelligent enough for deskbound civil service jobs. (Dreadful I know, but that's how it was.) So instead, they brought people over from India (mainly from Gujarat) to fill those roles.

When East Africa's railroads were built in the 1890s, the black Africans were seen as suitable only for brute force labouring jobs; the foremen for this work too were brought in from India. (India's railroads had been built thirty years earlier, and many of the fathers of the men who went from India to East Africa had worked on those under Welsh and Irish foremen.)

As time moved on, the Indian community in East Africa took on the same sorts of roles that were associated with Jewish communities in Europe. Banking was largely Indian-run, clothes were sewn by Indian tailors, jewelry was sold by Indian merchants, and so on. And in some quarters, the Indian community was just as much reviled as was the Jewish community in Europe.

Things came to a head in 1972, when Idi Amin ordered the entire Asian community in Uganda - about 60,000 of them - to leave the country within three months. Some went to Kenya, some to India, and some to Canada, but most came to the UK. Most of those who came to the UK settled in the Leicester area, which is why even today that city is the centre of Britain's Ugandan Asian community.

So the guy who runs that store is likely to be of African birth but of Asian ethnicity.

AlmondFacialBar
1026979.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Gosh, I didn't know any of that (though it does explain how Freddie Mercury came to be born on Zanzibar). I knew one Ugandan refugee family as a kid because friends of my parents were hiding them, and they were quite definitely East African in every way.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1026981.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Yes, Freddie Mercury is a classic example.

His parents were from Gujarat, and his father was a bookkeeper in civil service employment. He took a job in Zanzibar as a promotion, and so Freddie was born there.

The family moved to the UK in 1964 when Zanzibar had its own uprising against (what were perceived as) privileged immigrants, in its case both people from India and Arabs from Oman.

Awitt
1027013.  Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote

Had a lovely walk around my city's Botanic Gardens today, as part of an organised walk/meetup.
Except that the leader wasn't very good at leading or guiding and a small group of us lost him and the rest of the group after walking around the first landmark!

a couple of phone calls and landmark descriptions later, and my group of 5 does a second circuit around the lake to meet up with the main group at the cafe.
Photo below is in a spot called the Fern Gully, with a creek running through it.

Page 1 of 102
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102  Next