View previous topic | View next topic

QI Members' Blogs and Websites

Page 35 of 35
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35

Brock
1282223.  Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
MatC is also one of our elves, as you all probably know

The same Mat Coward who presented the series "Making Yourself Totally Perfect" during the first few weeks of Radio 4's Loose Ends in 1986, subsequently introduced by Ned Sherrin as "Bishop Mat Coward"? Or someone else entirely?

MatC
1282269.  Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:25 am Reply with quote

Yes, the same one. I no longer insist on the title, though - classless society and all that, you know?

Brock
1282270.  Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote

Well I never! If you're interested, there's a recording of that very first programme here:

http://andywalmsley.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/a-career-of-happy-accidents.html

MatC
1282296.  Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Brock - that's a very interesting website (if, like me, you're slightly obsessed with radio history). Of course, in those days, when we did the first Loose Ends, most radio sets were still gas-powered, and presenters had to hand-wind the microphones.

Brock
1282346.  Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Thanks, Brock - that's a very interesting website (if, like me, you're slightly obsessed with radio history).

Oh, absolutely! I've been a radio nut for most of the last 50 years.

Quote:
Of course, in those days, when we did the first Loose Ends, most radio sets were still gas-powered, and presenters had to hand-wind the microphones.

Listening to the recording now, I'm struck by the almost total lack of resemblance to the current "plug-fest" format. All those pre-recorded inserts have gone, along with the extended introductory monologue. Here's the original Radio Times billing:

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/130cd76b0a5d4198951a75c58b3f2d0b

I note the mention of one Stephen Fry, who didn't feature in the recording (though maybe his contribution was edited out - it's 15 minutes shorter than the original). I do remember his contributions as "Professor Donald Trefusis" at the fictional St Matthew's College, Cambridge, during those early days of Loose Ends. I don't think he was very well known in the media in those days, though I think he did a few pieces for the Sunday morning magazine The Colour Supplement in 1985 (whose producer Ian Gardhouse created Loose Ends, so it can perhaps be seen as a spiritual predecessor!).

MatC
1282352.  Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Yes, as far as I can remember now - it's all a long time ago - it was viewed in-house as the direct successor to Colour Supp. I think perhaps Nigel Farrell had also done pieces for them. Stephen was already a slightly well-known R4 voice, from various sketch shows. Craig Charles, probably, had only done TV before then. I suspect Robert Elms was the biggest name at the time. It was all very exciting for me - I worked as local authority library assistant, and suddenly I was sitting in a pub having a post-show drink with Ned Sherrin!

Brock
1282356.  Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Yes, as far as I can remember now - it's all a long time ago - it was viewed in-house as the direct successor to Colour Supp. I think perhaps Nigel Farrell had also done pieces for them.

Yes he had - he started on the very first edition of The Colour Supplement on 1 July 1984.

Quote:
Stephen was already a slightly well-known R4 voice, from various sketch shows.

As far as I can tell, he first came to prominence playing the reporter David Lander in the spoof investigative series Delve Special in August 1984, written by Tony Sarchet. I think The Colour Supplement was the first time he contributed original material though.

Quote:
Craig Charles, probably, had only done TV before then. I suspect Robert Elms was the biggest name at the time. It was all very exciting for me - I worked as local authority library assistant, and suddenly I was sitting in a pub having a post-show drink with Ned Sherrin!

I have to ask, then - how on earth did you get the job?

MatC
1282439.  Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote

Too complicated a tale for here - but the short version is: luck. A chance meeting. And the fact that the producers were very open to new people and ideas, which is perhaps not always the case ...

Efros
1289678.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Not my website but this is my Nephew in laws (?) site where he advertises his photography business and sells his wares. I strongly recommend you have a look at his landscape work

http://www.jwoodburyphotography.com/she-said-yes-1/

The lad has talent.

Jenny
1289758.  Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote

Those are gorgeous Efros. Does he produce calendars? If not, he should. Those are better than many of the ones I've seen sold as Maine calendars.

Efros
1289776.  Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote

He has won a number of competitions, has been published but I don't know if he does calendars. I'll suggest it to him.

Jenny
1289909.  Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote

He could sell those online. I often buy Maine calendars as small Christmas gifts for British friends and I'd go for something like that.

Jenny
1375640.  Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote

manonop wrote:

manonop

1375631. Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:30 pm

Hello All,
I am Manon, a blogger and video content creator. I like video games, anime and manga.
My Blog https://www.myanimeforlife.com

A new post from a new poster.

duzaglowa
1379004.  Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote

hey, I'm pretty new to the forum, this is my website about quizzes https://quizzfreak.com Please tell me what you guys think :)

edit also I've created a VOD finder for the polish audience. Thanks to this the user finds out where he can watch a given production legally

Brock
1388465.  Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote

I appear to have been thrown off idothei, the blog for solvers of the "i" newspaper crossword, so I've decided to start my own at https://thecrosswordandi.blogspot.com/. I'm not really a blogger myself so any comments on the format (or indeed content) would be very useful!

Page 35 of 35
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35