View previous topic | View next topic

why do waiters draw smiley face on recept? which episode

Page 1 of 1

Kosh
830389.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Ok i'm pretty sure it was on one episode but the problem is I can't remember which one. Does any one remember it? thanks

sjb
830392.  Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote

"Happiness," Series 8, Episode 6.

:)

Kosh
830528.  Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote

oh many thanks. its was driving me nuts that I can't remember the episode.

sjb
830594.  Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote

I rewatched it last night to be sure and I gotta say, it was a cracker of an episode. So THANK YOU! :)

Brickie
846765.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote

I don't remember, and don't have access right now - why *do* waiters draw smiley faces.

Unless it's "to make you think they're nice people and tip more", in which case duh.

Moosh
846788.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote

That is the reason given, along with telling you their name and so on.

Sadurian Mike
849253.  Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote

As well that bloody annoying habit of sidling up every ten minutes to ask if everything is alright.

"Well it would be except that you keep interrupting our conversation."

exnihilo
849256.  Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote

You're eating in the wrong places. Good staff are invisible until needed.

dr.bob
849317.  Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote

Just finished reading "59 seconds" by Prof Richard Wiseman (which I can definitely recommend to you all). One of the studies mentioned in there was a similar idea, but involved waiters giving diners some minty sweeties with their bill.

In one case, the waiter presented the bill with two sweeties per person along with it. In the other case, the bill was presented with just one sweetie per person. The waiter then turned to leave the table, paused, turned back and took out more sweeties from his pocket so that now there were two per person.

Although all the diners ended up with the same number of sweeties, the people in the second group left much larger tips on average, presumably because it appeared as though the waiter was making a special effort to be extra nice to them.

cinnamonbrandy
861299.  Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote

my favourite waiter ever was in a mexican restaurant, and let me peer at her order pad to find out why her tally doesn't look like our tally.

mexican tally goes like this:

1 - 1

2 - 1_

3 - 1_1

4 - 1=1

Not exactly, but lacking a pencil & paper - you draw a square, but always with the sides the same way. For five you draw through the square. Then move on. and if you're doing it quickly, and doing 5, 5, 5 - you can do three fives with three pen strokes, rather than 15 pen strokes. This matters.

Because the way we do tally, reading three versus four is just horrid, especially if you're observing something fast & numerous & getting towards the hundreds without being able to look much. Which in my job (at the time) I had to. Mexican tally helped me much and allowed me to point things out to my superiors that they didn't know...

Also, my inner child woke up, and went 'remember that house with a cross in it that you can draw all in one stroke - but only if you start in the right place? that was fun'.

Almost entirely made up for the fact that the food was way too spicy & way too meaty for me. I'd have gone back for fried egg, but the only way to order it was to pay for a steak, then send the steak back.

Page 1 of 1