Random "J" interestingness

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

mckeonj
836990.  Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote

Jacobson's organ: post 836959

sambeau
846122.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote

Java is a source of kopi luwak the most expensive coffee in the world produced by feeding captive palm civets with ripe coffee cherries.

Last edited by sambeau on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

sambeau
846123.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote

If anything Krakatoa is North-West of Java.

Ian Dunn
848288.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Julijonas Urbonas - Inventor of the "Euthanasia Coaster", a concept of a roller coast that would kill anyone who would ride it.

Jenny
848692.  Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote

Ha! Interesting concept - Dignitas without dignity.

'yorz
848696.  Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote

Dignitas with Velocity.

Leith
861451.  Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote

I've just been revisting the "places that changed names" thread. Thought I'd recycle this J-themed snippet:

Leith wrote:
Jim Thorpe was a renowned American athlete - a gold medal winning Olympic pentathlete and decathlete in addition to being a professional American football, baseball and basketball player.

On his death in 1953 he appears to have been reincarnated as a borough in Pennsylvania, born from the merger of former boroughs Mauch Chunk and East Mauch Chunk and a desire to attract attention and tourism to the area.

Jim Thorpe now has a population of around 5000 and is a centre for hiking and white-water rafting.

A final twist to the tale: A Native American, Jim Thorpe's human incarnation was born Wa-Tho-Huk ("Bright Path").

History of Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
Jim Thorpe (1888 - 1953)

soup
861479.  Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote

otyikondo wrote:

[ a nod to the Jedburgh teams dropped into occupied France in the latter part of WW2 to blow stuff up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jedburgh

None of which I would have known anything about

I first heard of them on reading a book "charlies war(?)" one of his tasks, in the murky post war espionage area, is to contact a Jedburgh group and to persuade them to "come in", they were now freelancing with kit and training they had been given.

ellylles
870517.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote

Matt 5:18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

so what is a jot? (and for that matter, a tittle?)

A tittle is the dot over a lower case i or j.

Taking into consideration the phrases "a jot and a tittle" and "the dotting of the i, and the crossing of the t," I've recall hearing that a jot is the cross stroke on a lower case t.
Klaxon!!
the cross stroke is just that - a cross stroke (also found on a lower case f of course)

The "Jot" is the Hebrew word "Yodh" which is the 10th letter of the Hebrew alphabet. It is also the smallest letter. It's European or English equivalent is the letter "Y" as in the English term Yahweh or in Hebrew YHVH since there were no vowel's used in the ancient script.

The word "jot" itself is an English transliteration of "iota" which is the 9th letter of the Greek alphabet. "Iota," in turn, is the nearest Greek equivalent for the Hebrew yodh.

thought here would be a good place to jot all that down ...

krollo
900943.  Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Jaffa, home to cakes and oranges, was supposedly founded by one of Noah's sons.

krollo
900944.  Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote a leaflet called 'How to feed your cock before you fight.'

krollo
900945.  Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote

Jimmu Tenno, the first Japanese emperor, is said to be a direct ancestor of the current emperor Akihito.

krollo
900948.  Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote

In Ancient Greece, jury service lasted a whole year. One of the more interesting events during it was when Phryne, a famous prostitute, went in front of the jury due to public profanity but when it looked like the verdict would be unfavourable, she took off her dress and became nude, which so moved the jury that they acquitted her.

Sadurian Mike
901037.  Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote

krollo wrote:
but when it looked like the verdict would be unfavourable, she took off her dress and became nude, which so moved the jury that they acquitted her.

Does it say which parts of them were moved?

JohnSmith
902447.  Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
How do you print something in sign language? And even if you could, why would you?

Although there's no reason to print something in sign language, I have seen a Jehovah's Witness tract which was a special editions printed for the deaf. Since the grammar of sign language is considerably different from ordinary English, the grammar used in the written sentences in the deaf edition was correspondingly different.

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next