View previous topic | View next topic

Random "J" interestingness

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

mckeonj
831919.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote

joycean is an adjective describing a style of writing, from the author James Joyce. Similarly, we have dickensian and shavian; I think that Shaw himself coined his adjective and started the trend.
Does this mean that The World is Godian?

Spud McLaren
832095.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote

Better historians than I might be able to concoct a question about the date that British troops finally and fully vacated American soil following the War of Independence. It was not straightaway, as may be imagined, but did not finally take place until June 1796, and was dealt with under the Jay Treaty, which was opposed by Thomas Jefferson on other grounds.

exnihilo
832126.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps a question on the most famous product of Jura?

The confusion arising in whether one means the Franco-Swiss region (occupying parts of the French region of Franche-Comté and the Swiss cantons of Vaud, Neuchâtel, Bern, Solothurn, and Basel) or the island in the Inner Hebrides.

In the former case the answer is wine, many of which are similar to burgundies, but also a kind of sherry-like drink (vin jaune) and a sparkling wine (Crémant du Jura). The latter, of course, making malt whisky in the only distillery on the island.

Spud McLaren
832150.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Q: Who was the first member of the US Congress assassinated in the line of duty?

Klaxon for Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley or Kennedy - they weren't Congressmen at the time of their deaths.

A: It is Leo Ryan, as a precursor to the Jonestown mass suicides.

Looking at Ryan's profile, it's a shame he died, as we could do with a few more "roll-yer-sleeves-up" folks in prominent positions.

Spud McLaren
832159.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Some futuristic:

Some not:

Some feared:

Some oddball:

Some hopeful:

Some just plain ugly:

All Junkers.

Spud McLaren
832191.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Why wouldn't you eat snails from Jedburgh cooked in garlic?

A: click the link to find out.

Jedburgh also hosts the Jethart Hand Ba' game, which seems to me like a one-day version of the Ashbourne Shrovetide Football game.

Spud McLaren
832292.  Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote

Q: Where is the Jacaranda City?

A: "Pretoria in South Africa is popularly known as The Jacaranda City due to the enormous number of Jacaranda trees planted as street trees and in parks and gardens. In flowering time the city appears blue/purple in colour when seen from the nearby hills because of all the Jacaranda trees."

- Wiki.

Spud McLaren
832358.  Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Thought there was just one kind of dance tune called a jig? Oh, no, no - think again.

Phantom2448
832361.  Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Brings any entirely new meaning to getting jiggy with it?

Spud McLaren
832364.  Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Or revamps an old one.

Dumbo the Disney elephant would do anything for a peanut. But the original Jumbo ended up - replacing peanut butter.

Spud McLaren
836944.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Perhaps a question on the most famous product of Jura?
Or maybe 'yorz and orablu might know some QI things about jenever? Such as, which style spends more time in the cask/bottle - oude or jonge?

'yorz
836965.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote

Nowt to do with age, but all with preparation and recipes. :)

Spud McLaren
836966.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote

I knew that, but the answer is not what you might infer from the question.

'yorz
836968.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Am knackered. Can't be arsed to think further about jenever. Hate the stuff anyway.

otyikondo
836973.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Why wouldn't you eat snails from Jedburgh cooked in garlic?

A: click the link to find out.

Jedburgh also hosts the Jethart Hand Ba' game, which seems to me like a one-day version of the Ashbourne Shrovetide Football game.

Jedburgh was also the name given to the delightful CIA operative in Edge of Darkness (as memorably played by Joe Don Baker), and was presumably a nod to the Jedburgh teams dropped into occupied France in the latter part of WW2 to blow stuff up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jedburgh

None of which I would have known anything about were it not for a chance read a couple of years ago of this obituary of a bloke who seems to have been one of the more interesting characters that my old school has managed to produce in the past four hundred years.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article5804350.ece

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next