View previous topic | View next topic

Did General Haig really say that?

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

mckeonj
891221.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
mckeonj wrote:
I understood from my dad, who was an artillery man in WWI, in Singapore, not Flanders; that artillery shells come in different flavours for different tasks.

I assume you mean WWII rather than WWI. I have no idea how old you are, but if your father served in WWI you would be about 82 by now!

mckeonj wrote:
Shrapnel was generally lead or steel balls, and would be ineffective against wire entanglements, yet this was the chosen ammunition for the barrage which preceded massed advances.

Not really 'chosen' so much as 'forced upon them'.

Dad was born in Penang, Malaya in 1890, moved to Singapore after schooling in England. Joined SSVF 1912, and served the big guns 1914-1918. His two brothers remained in Singapore, and died in Changi prison.
I was born 1934, so that makes me about 77.

Sadurian Mike
891273.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Dad was born in Penang, Malaya in 1890, moved to Singapore after schooling in England. Joined SSVF 1912, and served the big guns 1914-1918. His two brothers remained in Singapore, and died in Changi prison.
I was born 1934, so that makes me about 77.

I didn't realise that you were such an old timer! My apologies for the doubt.

soup
891296.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:

I was born 1934.

So you were the drain on Britain's war resources that Hennig Wehn talks about :o)

mckeonj
891301.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote

Yes, and I was going to mention that. In fact, I was removed from Britain in 1940 and sent to safety in Canada, along with several hundred other children.
Unfortunately, one of Hennig's submarines stopped that by firing torpedoes at us, and the survivors returned to Britain, the Blitz, and ITMA.
Subsequently, one of Hennig's aeroplanes machine-gunned us on the cliffs at Bournemouth, but missed.

Mick Jee
932881.  Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote

If Haig did say about the machinegun- “Make no mistake, this weapon will change absolutely nothing”, we need to know in what context he said it.
For example perhaps he foresaw tanks leading the way, with mg bullets rattling harmlessly off their sides..

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3