View previous topic | View next topic

Carbon dioxide

Page 1 of 1

gerontius grumpus
36692.  Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote

I think the programme is a little unfair on Alan Davies, but then again it's meant to be, after all it is a comedy quiz and it has to follow its regular trends.
Anyway, to the point.
It seems a little unfair to say that champagne bubbles are not caused by carbon dioxide, if it wasn't there there wouldn't be any bubbles.

Even if the glass was perfectly clean and free from any particles or blemishes, condensation nuclei would still form on residues within the champagne. These might be fragments of dead yeast cells or microscopic tartrate crystals.

Still it was a good way to intruduce a quite intersting theme.

Rory Gilmore
36712.  Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:06 am Reply with quote

Of course, if there was no water or alcohol then there would be no bubbles either but they don't get the blame.

gerontius grumpus
36728.  Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote

Or champagne.

Aye and from a cracked cup and all...

Rory Gilmore
36730.  Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote

Could you not argue using the weak anthropic (I think) principle that champagne bubbles because if it were not to bubble then it would not be champagne?

gerontius grumpus
36737.  Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote

If it came from the Champagne region and was made with the right grapes would it fit the appelation?

laidbacklazyman
36855.  Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote

It's a shame the bit about American champagne was omitted, that would have given for a good debate.

Quaint Idiot
37061.  Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote

You make that sound QI, LBLM. What did they say?

eggshaped
37077.  Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote

Probably something like this:

Q. Which vintners are allowed to call their sparkling wine Champagne?

A. Ones from the Champagne region – oh, and Americans.

In 1891, the Treaty of Madrid was signed. In this document, it was decreed that only the Champagne region was allowed to use that name; the rule was reaffirmed in the Treaty of Versailles, 1919.

However, the US never ratified the Treaty of Versailles, instead they signed a separate peace agreement with Germany. This did not include the alcohol stipulations, as the US was in the midst of prohibition at the time.

When prohibition was lifted, American wine-merchants took advantage of this loophole, freely selling their own “Champagne”, much to the chagrin of the French industry.

http://edition.cnn.com/FOOD/specials/1999/champagne/primer/

Flash
37179.  Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote

They sell their own Chablis and other things as well. I buy it when I'm in America, because it just feels good to buy Chablis at $7 a litre. Self-deceit, I know.

Gray
37246.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote

A litre of wine. Pretty clarsy!

Page 1 of 1