0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Getting there
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Barsabbas
828190.  Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote

Why is a raven like a writing desk? Any Alice in wonderland (or underland as is its true name), by Lewis Carroll enthuiast would know this and the answer of course. If you just thought and/or said 'there is no answer' then please deduct 10 points. In the preface of the 1896 edition Carroll included the answer 'They both produce few notes, all very flat and are almost nevar put with the wrong and in front'. Although originally there was never meant to be an answer. Now for those of you who have noticed no it is NOT a spelling mistake, the word nevar is raven backwards and how Carroll wrote it, but some years later this was changed as it was believed to be a spelling mistake; i like to believe by an American. Explanation time: Ravens produce very few notes and so do desks, raven produce flat notes when they caw (I don't believe they actually caw though) and what is flatter than paper on which the note written? and of course you never put raven with the wrong end in front because it comes out nevar (it should infact be never) and if you turn a dest round it is not useful any more (at being a desk although they do make a good clutter surface), where would you tuck the chair? And how would you reach the drawers? That is why a Raven is like a Writing Desk.

suze
828229.  Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote

Of the many answers which have been posited to this particular riddle, I've always thought that Sam Loyd's was the best.

Q: Why is a raven like a writing desk?
A: Because Poe wrote upon both.

Barsabbas
828391.  Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote

I believe his word were 'Because Poe wrote ON both'. This is saying that Poe wrote on a Raven - not literally, but it is about his work the raven - and he wrote on a desk - where he would have done his writing.

soup
828399.  Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote

I would say that (in this instance in particular) upon and on have the same meaning.

Spud McLaren
828484.  Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Barsabbas wrote:
... raven produce flat notes when they caw...
That depends on what note they were intending to sound. If they hit it, it's not flat.

Page 1 of 1