View previous topic | View next topic

Infixes.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Barbara-B
827688.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote

We've all heard of suffixes and prefixes, but what about infixes? Infixes are not added to the binging or end of a word but are slotted into the middle of the word.

Q:can anyone think of examples in English?

A: Although common in some languages, such as Arabic, English officially has no infixes, however we use them in swearing; as in "abso-bloody-lootly" .

Is this true?

Last edited by Barbara-B on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

soup
827696.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote

Is this the same thing as a tmesis?

Barbara-B
827711.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
Is this the same thing as a tmesis?

Not quite. Tmesis splits the verb from the prefix whereas infix is placed in the centre of a word.

soup
827714.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote

Another one for the retractions special then
S1 Ep4 (didn't take much searching , honest).

Stephen
And the rather wonderful English word tmesis, which, so far as I know, is the only English word that begins with the letters "tm". T-M-E-S-I-S; it's rather wonderful. Which is that . . . when you cut a word in half by putting another word inside, like saying "abso-blooming-lutely," or "sen-fucking-sational," or . . . called tmesis.

Barbara-B
827717.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote

Great, now debate to include it in the I (infix) or the T (Temesis) series. Temesis is a loan word from Greek is it not? I think we'd need a 2nd confirmation that English Infixing can be called Temeses too (evidently some do, but is it technically correct?)

soup
827723.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote

Looking at the full quote it appears to be an additional piece of information imparted by Stephen, he was talking about tom means cut as in appendecTOMy then a-tom meant 'couldn't be cut'. Rather than a 'fully researched' piece of information from the elves.

I am more inclined to believe someone who has worked with letters/printing etc rather than a 'personality'(no matter how intelligent).

Jenny
827746.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote

Well it's too late for the I series now it's been recorded! Better wait for T and hope it gets commissioned...

exnihilo
827747.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote

The only examples of true English infixes that I know of are in the constructing of names of chemical compounds, and even that's arguable as they're hardly standard usage words. Some have noted the slotting of 'iz' into words in some strains of street slang, but otherwise we only have the tmesis examples of which my favourite is the Americanism 'a-whole-nother'.

bemahan
827762.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote

My son reliably informs me that Homer Simpson 'infixes'. I googled this and find that someone at the University of Chicago has written a paper on this. It is so full of jargon that I can't tell whether it is a serious paper or tongue-in-cheek. Whichever, he appears to have put a lot of effort into it.

http://washo.uchicago.edu/pub/nels34.pdf

sjb
827763.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
'a-whole-nother'

Fingernails on a chalkboard.

exnihilo
827764.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote

Homer does indeed, examples from one episode being saxamaphone, clarimanet, obomaboe, and most absurdly tubamaba. I may have a crack at that paper after dinner.

samivel
827781.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Didn't George W. Bush do something similar with 'edumacated', or is that apocryphal?

Barbara-B
827812.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Problem is those aren't infixes. The infixed particle must be a word in its own right which when infixed gives a either different or modified meaning to the word accepting the infix. Homer's "ma" does not qualify.

Barbara-B
827814.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote

I recall an irate teenager who's "whatever" became "Whatfuckin'ever" :-)

Barbara-B
827818.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote

I get it, tmesis is the act of splitting one word with another, and the "infix" is the word you do it with.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next