View previous topic | View next topic

Egypt

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

hassan el kebir
923166.  Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote

Well, ordinary post just doesn't work, apparently something like 95% of the mail falls through a black hole never to be seen again which is why we have to use DHL who take about three days to delver.

This was the first time I've risked the registered post and so far a week has passed and it's not arrived. I am trying not to worry about it but I can't help wondering if I wasted my money and ought to have just used DHL in the first place.

bemahan
954826.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
bemahan wrote:
You've unsettled me now! I think it will be okay. He always uses TNT plus he lived in Oxford (where I live) for several years. It's in his interests that this go smoothly as it's my nephews' passports.Hopefully it'll be okay.

Keep us posted (no pun intended)

Received an email from b-i-l to say he's finally got my nephews' passports through. He says he may bring them over for a visit which would be exciting, if a little scary.

'yorz
954831.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote

Scary?! Please elaborate.

bemahan
954893.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I don't know. It's the first time bil and I will have seen each other since my sister died and all the awful fallout afterwards. My 3 main concerns are that I'll just burst into tears when I see him and I really don't want to do that. The other is that he'll come over all hierarchical and try to patronise me which will just piss me off. And the third is that he'll start banging on about all the things he's banged on about over the last 2 years, none of which I'm prepared to concede to, plus the fact that I've told him very clearly, several times, what the position is and yet he still bangs on about them which will also really piss me off.
On the other hand, it will be really lovely to see them all as I haven't seen my nephews for about 5 years.

'yorz
954899.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote

I guess that situation will solve itself. It's entirely natural that there will be some tears. It's is an emotional moment after all. But because of his attitude they'll be short-lived anyway :-)
Perhaps when the time comes you can send him an email, saying that although some issues remain to be solved, you hope these can be pushed to the background and "let's just have a nice time together".
Maybe I'm being naive, but you can always try.
Keep us posted, bem.

'yorz
954905.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Last night I watched a Channel 4 program: Unreported World (and the Making of...).
Not easy to watch, to say the least.
It showed the general attitude in the north of Egypt towards women in general.
Age, nationality, dress-code, or behaviour - nothing made any difference - it is apparently entirely unsafe for a woman or women to walk outside, even in broad daylight.
I discussed this today with my brother, who used to travel extensively in the 70s.
In those days, Afghanistan and, say, Sudan, were mostly safe for women to travel (how things have changed), whereas Iran and Pakistan were 'terrible'. Egypt was the same, although the more southern parts like Aswan were decidedly better.
You all have seen the pictures of my week in Egypt; I thought I had dressed pretty OK, showing no cleavage etc. How would Hassan's friends have behaved if I had showed up in Qorna without the protection of his friendship? Perhaps I do them a disservice thinking like that, but I can't help it.

Efros
954909.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote

The advice to women, especially blondes, about travelling alone in the north African countries has been don't for as long as I can remember.

bemahan
954913.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote

I watched that, 'yorz. I found it very disturbing. I'm glad I have nephews rather than nieces. My sister didn't have problems, but then she was always with bil. The one thing that did bother her was that Egyptians were fascinated by her auburn hair and kept wanting to touch it. That was her main reason she started covering her head. That and it kept the dust out her hair!
I had a holiday in Tunisia when I was about 18 and had no hassle at all. The only place I've ever been hassled was in Turkey. I loved the country but really didn't like the way the men made me feel.

'yorz
954914.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote

The program (see above) shows that nowadays Muslim women, wearing full burka, are sexually assaulted as well, stripped naked, and finger-raped. I am at a loss.

bemahan
954920.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

Perhaps when the time comes you can send him an email, saying that although some issues remain to be solved,

I think his frustration is that all the issues have been solved but he's not happy with the solutions and decisions that bemabro and I made as executors. This is largely due to the chasm between how things work in England and how things work in Egypt.

Efros
954923.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
The program (see above) shows that nowadays Muslim women, wearing full burka, are sexually assaulted as well, stripped naked, and finger-raped. I am at a loss.

Don't understand the attitude of the men, it could be a member of their family next. The programme appears to be available worldwide also, I wonder if this is as a service to the organisation in the programme, certainly none of the other 4od content seems to be available overseas. If that is the case more power to Channel 4.

bemahan
954925.  Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote

It surprises me, too. I always had the impression they were very respectful to their own women. I didn't really follow what the programme said had kick-started the behaviour. I can't imagine my bil condoning this in any shape or form and I sincerely hope that he imparts this attitude to my nephews who, at age 11 and 13, are at a vulnerable age.

angella
1010930.  Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote

Many women travel alone and have found that they have been safe. The police, tourist police and army are always close by and the Egyptians themselves are generally safe and will try to protect solo travelers. On the whole, it is generally less safer for a solo female traveler in Egypt than places like Greece, Italy or Spain.

Although the chances of being confronted are almost negligible, please ensure that you take the same precautions that you would anywhere else and do not be tempted to walk in deserted areas alone: get a taxi back to your abode! You may receive some invitations, which on the whole are innocent, do not accept any of these from strangers.

'yorz
1034198.  Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote

Anybody watching Undiscovered World on Channel 4 right now? All these yet unmapped archaeological sites that are being destroyed, looted...

And yet - if there are no tourists, people will have to find other ways to get money to feed themselves and their families. Of course, the bulk of the looting will be done by organised gangs, and the locals won't benefit from it.

The government doesn't do anything to protect those sites, that could be future money spinners for tourism.

But what has priority - the past or the present? Ancient bones or empty stomachs?

Dix
1308021.  Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote

This could go either in Denmark thread or in the Egypt thread.
Or if we had a "remarkable survivals" or "they don't make 'em like that any more" thread it could go there.

In 1969-1972 Copenhagen phased out their tram system. It was being replaced by buses. 99 trams of the "Düsseldorfer" type were shipped to Alexandria.
All but 10 of them are still in use there.

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next