View previous topic | View next topic

Egypt

Page 4 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Oceans Edge
912992.  Thu May 31, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote

hassan, as always you're a pleasure to read :)

'yorz
912996.  Thu May 31, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote

bem wrote:
Quote:
There must be a happy medium somewhere.

With banks, there rarely is - certainly when it concerns on-line stuff.
Been there. Got the sweater.

hassan el kebir
913004.  Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote

Thanks O-E, the cheque's in the post ;-)

One of the wonderful things of trying to pay for something online is having to fill in your address details, every time they demand a post code. Egypt doesn't have sodding post codes, it hasn't even got a functioning postal service. So, you no enter post code, you no get any further with the transaction. Thank you and good night.

Surely Egypt isn't the only country that doesn't have these silly code things. Why don't computer programmers take things like this into consideration?

suze
913029.  Thu May 31, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I had no memory of what my customer no. is so, having tried a few times, accepted their invitation to change it.

Write it down! I know that for years we've been told never to write such things down, but - as noted by Stephen Fry on a show called QI - that advice is changing.

bemahan wrote:
When the woman started asking for lots of details, it occurred to me that I wasn't sure that it was a genuine message and phone no. I pointed this out to the woman who was rather exasperated but said I could call them using the number on the back of my card.

Been there! An operative from Messrs Barclays once called me for a similar reason, and got rather snarky when I said that, if it was all the same to him, I'd put the phone down and call him back.

Banks now expect you to tell them in advance if you're going to be accessing your money from abroad.

I have heard that this sometimes applies even with the UK. An acquaintance of husband's was in Middlesbrough for some reason - a town well away from his home, and which he had not visited before. When he tried to use an ATM there, his card was rejected, and - or so I was told - when he queried this with his bank, he was informed that he should have told them that he was likely to be using an ATM some distance from home.

bemahan
913058.  Thu May 31, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote

I know personally of 2 people who have tried to use their cards abroad and have had them frozen as a result. So when bemamum was going to Egypt earlier this year, her bank said she would need to register the fact. So I rang the number but I was vexed* that they then took the opportunity to try to sell her travel insurance, and also suggested she 'upgrade' her a/c to cover all sorts of things without being upfront that there's a monthly charge involved.

I really want to say 'pissed off'.

Jenny
913060.  Thu May 31, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote

I live in the USA, which does have zip codes but not UK post codes, and I have frequently run into this problem when trying to buy something from a UK site.

That was great to read - thanks h-e-k.

nitwit02
913084.  Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote

hassan - these epistles are wonderful, thanks.

PS - I can see a very funny book down the road ....

hassan el kebir
913288.  Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings.

The book (funny or not) is slightly more advanced than down the road, it's actually sitting on my desk demanding I get myself into gear and finish the bloody thing. I do try but I keep getting sidetracked by birds and geckos and things. One day, insha allah

Jenny
913504.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote

Well I for one would buy it! If you can't find a publisher with sense, you could always put it out as an e-book. A lot of people are doing that these days.

hassan el kebir
913532.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote

Thank you, Jenny, you are a lady with excellent taste, I can tell.

An e-book would be a real last whatever-the word-is-i'm-looking-for, though the idea of getting more than 10% of cover price as royalty is appealing. Books should be books, printed on paper, bound between boards, somehing to caress and stroke and fondle and sniff.....

'yorz
913533.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote

resort?

hassan el kebir
913536.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote

That's the worm. I just remembered what it was and came back to do a quick edit but you've beaten me to it, you rotter

bemahan
913538.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote

We want the book!
We want the book!

So please finish it!

PDR
913542.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote

hassan el kebir wrote:
Books should be books, printed on paper, bound between boards, somehing to caress and stroke and fondle and sniff.....

WHy do I feel that sentence should read "A fine book is like a beautiful woman, something that should be bound between boards - something to caress and stroke and fondle and sniff..."

PDR

'yorz
913544.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote

Into Dom/sub, PDR? Fancy that....

Page 4 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next