View previous topic | View next topic

Egypt

Page 2 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Zebra57
827698.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote

Egypt is involved in border disputes with Sudan over the areas of Bir Tawil, Hala'ib Triangle and Wadi Halfa. Sudan is also involved in border disputes with Southern Sudan.

suze
827843.  Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Egypt is involved in border disputes with Sudan over the areas of Bir Tawil.

This is a particularly interesting border dispute, because neither country wants Bir Tawil - they both want the other to have it.

This may seem strange, but there is method in their madness - and a thread starting at post 588035 explains what it's all about.

hassan el kebir
827914.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote

Sudan has more pyramids than Egypt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nubian_pyramids

it also has a dam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merowe_Dam

I want to visit Sudan, just not at the moment, though

Barbara-B
827958.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote

I know this might be wandering a tad from your posts but I've always wondered how modern Egyptians regard the "investigators" and tourists who believe Ancient Egyptian civilisation and achievements where done by ancient aliens from outer space, men from Atlantis, or "superior beings" from the north (presumably Europeans). And the "New Age" gurus who take tourists around ancient sights for spiritual experiences.

I mean on one hand they're saying the Ancient Egyptians were incapable of greatness without outside help, or indulging in "spiritual" practices that could hardly be called Islamic, yet they bring in the tourist dollars which you say Egypt is very dependent on.

So are they loved or loathed?

Ainee
827959.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote

Egypt always welcomed the tourist income, since Greek and Roman times. Herodotus stayed awhile, and not just 'New Age' Gurus had mystic experiences there:

In 1798, Napoleon visited the great pyramid. He asked to be left alone in the King’s chamber. When he emerged, it was reported that he looked visibly shaken. When an aide asked him if he had witnessed anything mysterious, he replied that he had no comment, and that he never wanted the incident mentioned again. Years later, when he was on his deathbed, a close friend asked him what really happened in the King’s chamber. He was about to tell him and stopped. Then he shook his head and said, "No, what's the use. You'd never believe me." As far as we know, he never told anyone and took the secret to his grave. (It is interesting to note that there is an unsubstantiated story that Napoleon had hinted that he was given some vision of his destiny during his stay in the King's Chamber).

Alexander the Great also spent time alone in the King's Chamber, like many famous people throughout history. What draws these individuals to this place?

http://www.gizapyramid.com/history.htm

Barbara-B
827963.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote

Yes, we all know what the classical authors say, and seen the TV adverts for Egypt, but Hassan is on the ground in Egypt and immersed in its village life.

I'd like to know, if he is willing, what is Hassan's assessment of how the Egyptian people feel, not about tourists per sé but about the; pyramidiots, the Ancient Alienites, the Eurocentrics, Atlantologists, and the new-age heretics; particularly after the Revolution, inflation, and the collapse of the tourist economy.

CB27
827965.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote

Was someone watching An Idiot Abroad last night? :)

gruff5
827968.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote

so, where does that leave the original black Zimbabweans? Who the colonials thought were incapable of building Great Zimbabwe, but that must have been done by ancient Egyptians

Barbara-B
827971.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote

As our man on the ground in Egypt Hassan can NOT speak to the reactions of Zimbabweans to Zimbabwean tourists unorthodox or orthodox, so if you want an answer to that one gruf you should start another thread.

Last edited by Barbara-B on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Ainee
827972.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote

I look forward to Hassan's replies, too!

hassan el kebir
827994.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote

It's quite simple really; they think they're idiots who deserve fleecing.

ANY tourist is considered to be a millionaire and, as such, is there to have their wallet lightened, the New Agers more so, which seems fair enough to me.

I must admit that when I hear the words 'I'm not an expert by any means but I've been reading a lot about quantum physics recently....' I do tend to give up being polite and walk away. And as for people telling me how they absolutely have to visit Abydos to meditate there.....Bunch of conspiracy theory believing lunatics the lot of them.

However, we need the tourists to return and we desperately need their money so maybe we'll be marginally more tolerant of them in the future and stick to laughing behind their backs.

hassan el kebir
850123.  Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote

I'm slightly reeling with shock at the piece of information I've just picked up.

The tour guides, who bring the tourists to the alabaster factories around here, charge the factory owners between 60%-70% of their tourists' spending for the privilege of having the customers.

No wonder the stuff is so bloody expensive

Geese and golden eggs spring to mind. Something needs to be done about this before it's too late and even an onyx ashtray ends up costing about $100*

*Bloody foreign keyboards, there's no 'L' type pound symbol or even a euro one hence my pricing in dollars

gruff5
850147.  Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Here's one I made earlier - £ - Hassan. Please feel free to copy and paste it in whenever you feel the need! ;)

I bought my beautiful alabaster vase for £5 (sterling) in the back streets of Khan al Khalili - only moderate bargaining skills deployed

Jenny
850148.  Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Hassan - if you have a Word program, open it and click on Insert/Symbol. You'll find a pound sign there. On my American pc I had to use Alt and 156 to get a £ sign, but on this Apple keyboard I can hold down the Option key (which is Apple's version of Alt) and press the number 3. Shift and that key gives #, but Alt and 3 gives £. Yay! It's much easier.

hassan el kebir
850240.  Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote

Thank you kindly for the '£' and advice but I remembered the site map and, lo and behold, there was one waiting for me.

Khan al Khalili - the scariest place in the world, I don't think I shall ever recover from my visit to it.

The alabaster emporia of Luxor are all bunched together in an area pretty much between the Ramaseum and Hatshepsut's temple and tend not to get tourists just wandering in, hence the need for the tour guides to bring you your customers. Still, I do think the guides are taking the piss somewhat.

I've been thinking about this: I know several factory owners; if I can get them to talk to the other owners around here andthey then present a united front saying 'we ain't paying that much', then renegotiate terms.....................................trouble is, Egyptians aree very good at saying things like 'malesh' and 'alhum de leelah' and things like that and never actually doing anything constructive about things.

There are times when I despair of the Egyptians' fatalistic outlook on life.

Page 2 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next