View previous topic | View next topic

Sound Barrier

Page 1 of 1

Rob Bull
825569.  Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote

In the Second Book of GI, you state that Baumgartner's proposed dive from 120,000 ft will "make him the first person to break the sound barrier outside an aircraft". No it won't. RAF pilot Andy Green was inside ThrustSSC when it went supersonic on land, in a car, and I'm fairly sure there was some chump in Holloman, New Mexico, strapped to a rocket sled. Also not in an aircraft, critically.[/b]

soup
825597.  Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote

Maybe that should be "outside a machine" rather than "outside an aircraft'. Sure it was a typesetting brain fart rather than a lack of knowledge.

I had in the back of my mind that Joe Kittinger (sp?) had gone supersonic in his high altitude balloon jumps, but any information I can find about him was that he went very fast (up to 715 MPH) but no info about any local Mach numbers (Mach1 at STP is 761.2 MPH).

Rod Bull wrote:

I'm fairly sure there was some chump in Holloman, New Mexico, strapped to a rocket sled. Also not in an aircraft, critically.

Do you mean Paul Stapp? AFAIK he never actually went supersonic but he did 'take' 50g while decelerating.

Added bit :-

I was wrong it was 'only' 46.2 g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEYxf4fl_A

Last edited by soup on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Zebra57
825601.  Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote

Welcome Rob

Page 1 of 1