View previous topic | View next topic

Sweden

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Saerdna
1051947.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Their mistake of course, was stretching themselves too thinly, and being the first modern army to suffer the problems of trying to invade Russia.


yes, the "Scorched earth" tactic is effective against marching troops, but I find it hard to belive russian people liked it when the military burned down their houses and farms. :)

both napoleon and karl XII tasted this tactic and failed.

and when we lost Finland to the russian the swedes lost a part of its nation and not just a provins.
(when government plays the neutral card, swedish volunteers always help finland against russia. ww2 and the finish Civil War)

(old name for finland by the swedes "eastland"/österland)

and alot of what you "said" i didnt know =)


Last edited by Saerdna on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

 
knightmare
1051968.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Dutch household Zwaluw (Swallow) matches came in this box


No need to translate the name of the brand, because "The Swallow" is printed on the box. Apparently the word "De", "Die" or "The" is a part of the name of the brand, but indeed the remembered iconic name isn't The Swallow.

 
Jenny
1052013.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote

Welcome Saerdna :-)

 
'yorz
1052036.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote

knightmare wrote:
Quote:
Dutch household Zwaluw (Swallow) matches came in this box


No need to translate the name of the brand, because "The Swallow" is printed on the box. Apparently the word "De", "Die" or "The" is a part of the name of the brand, but indeed the remembered iconic name isn't The Swallow.

Can you stop being anal please?

 
CB27
1052057.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Being anal would be to correct that to "anal retentive"... :D

 
'yorz
1052059.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote

And you would never stoop that low, would you? ;-)

 
CB27
1052065.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Depends whether I've had my prunes or not :p

Some other Qi stuff about Sweden:

All employers over a certain size must provide free massages, often in the form of vouchers. I don't know ho of ten these are required, but I know of several people who get them twice a month, paid for by their company.

About 1 in 5 of all police stations close for a few weeks in the summer because everyone traditionally takes their holiday at the same time.

Reigning during the 17th century, Queen Christina is probably more known for converting to Catholicism and abdicating her throne, dressing up like a man, and being one of only three women buried in the Vatican Grotto. However, she also had a deep haterd of fleas, and commissioned the construction of a cannon that measured just one inch long, and packed with a tiny cannon ball. Whenever she spotted a flea she would fire her little cannon, and was reported to have even made the occasional killshot.

 
Saerdna
1052149.  Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote

some more qi stuff i didnt know
http://www.eupedia.com/sweden/trivia.shtml
like:
Sweden has the smallest gender employment-rate gap in the developed world, with only 4% more men in employment than women.

The Swedes spend the longest time in tertiary education with an average student age of 25.5 years old.

Sweden has the highest proportion of personal computers per capita in Europe, with 500 P.C.'s per 1,000 people.

Sweden is set to become the first country in the world to phase out petrol for biofuel.

Total taxation in Sweden amount to 54.2 % of GDP, the highest level worldwide.

Sweden has the highest number of nuclear plants per capita, with 10 reactors for 9 million inhabitants.

 
alai
1052375.  Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
All employers over a certain size must provide free massages


That's an enduring image right there. If not also to say clearcut klaxon-fodder...

Quote:
However, she also had a deep haterd of fleas, and commissioned the construction of a cannon that measured just one inch long, and packed with a tiny cannon ball. Whenever she spotted a flea she would fire her little cannon, and was reported to have even made the occasional killshot.

While application of the term "cannon" has varied and evolved throughout military history, that would seem to be really pushing the lower calibre limit down rather drastically!

 
Saerdna
1052395.  Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote

alai wrote:
CB27 wrote:
All employers over a certain size must provide free massages


That's an enduring image right there. If not also to say clearcut klaxon-fodder...


thats the power of the union/facket i guess =)

 
Saerdna
1052465.  Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote

this guys youtube channel is kinda entertaining.
he goes through swedish words that in some way is intresting or funny sounding.
(he is talking in a southern dialect)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJSMW8ugQw

 
PDR
1052469.  Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Being anal would be to correct that to "anal retentive"... :D


"Anally retentive", shirley?

PDR

 
PDR
1052472.  Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
All employers over a certain size must provide free massages


Is that measured on height, volume or mass? If only the taller employers have to give free massages that would surely be illegal discrimination in favour of the short - we have always had a strong anti-apart-height stance in europe...

PDR

 
'yorz
1052475.  Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
CB27 wrote:
Being anal would be to correct that to "anal retentive"... :D


"Anally retentive", shirley?

PDR


As I said to tets last night, "Some people can be quite anal, but in an unpleasant way". ;-)

 
PDR
1052484.  Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote

Why did you say it in an unpleasant way? Was he annoying you?

PDR

 

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group