Sweden

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

'yorz
1028125.  Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote

whoosh :(

Zebra57
1028151.  Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Sweden claims to be the first European country to issue banknotes (1661).

CharliesDragon
1028299.  Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Hmm, let's see. We use the French Belgian joke and the Luxembourg(ian?) Belgian joke about the Swedes, and the fishing joke about the Swede is pretty good. Can't say I've heard it too often, though. We also use the Dutch Belgian joke about Swedes, so someone is not being very original here...

The site also include one of my favourite jokes:
“A Greek and Italian were arguing over who had the superior culture. The Greek says, “We have the Parthenon.” Arching his eyebrows, the Italian replies, “We have the Coliseum.” The Greek retorts, “We Greeks gave birth to advanced mathematics”. The Italian, nodding agreement, says, “But we built the Roman Empire.”And so on and so on until the Greek comes up with what he thinks will end the discussion. With a flourish of finality he says, “We invented sex!”The Italian replies, “That is true, but it was the Italians who introduced it to women.””

EDIT: Eh, I might have forgotten to check out the second page of the thread... But to add something QI, Sweden has their own version of QI, called Interesseklubben (The Interest Club). I'll report back once I've seen a bit of it. Norway also have a QI like show called Brille (Looking-glasse(s)). It's on it's second or third season now, but after changing what network/channel it's on, it absolutely sucks. The last episode had questions like where does the term spam mail originate from, and do lemens throw themselves off cliffs or explode. I was more or less ripping out my hair when I tried watching it. It's as if the script writers just googled "Funny facts" and picked the first list that showed up. *Walks off muttering angrily*

CharliesDragon
1028307.  Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote

Update about Interesseklubben: IT IS JUST AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL! And that makes me incredibly happy! It's interesting, it's funny, it's... just check it out for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvOzncdF6vk (Turn on subtitles by clicking on the box at the bottom of the video.)

Zebra57
1028585.  Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote

I have watched the programme and its format is much like QI.

Spud McLaren
1028588.  Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Something about it on this obscure website...including a video of the host being introduced on some unknown UK TV programme.

CharliesDragon
1028593.  Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Well, excuse me for not having read every word on here...

Spud McLaren
1028595.  Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, sorry, done it again - that last post of mine does sound rather sarcastic, doesn't it?

That wasn't how it was meant.

CharliesDragon
1028599.  Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote

No, sorry, I'm just... It's good that people already know of it and it's probably just me having the brain of a headless chicken for thinking it was revolutionary. I discovered it on the QI wikipedia page, after all.

While I remember, shouldn't there be a wiki of weird facts named qikipedia? :P

suze
1028602.  Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Qikipedia is the name used for the Elves' Twitter feed.

I have a feeling that at some point in the distant past, it was also the name of a database used for internal research purposes - but said database got its name changed to something easier to pronounce. (It was certainly called SQUIRE at one point, but it's some years since I've had anything to do with it.)

CharliesDragon
1028604.  Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote

I knew you had got there before me somehow, but I didn't remember how... I should also keep an eye on their twitter more often than I do.

chrisboote
1029078.  Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

The Irish version of the American style Polish joke is the Kerryman joke, btw.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

And in Kerry they mock the folks from Killarney, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if in Killarney they pick on Dungannon Road (probably number 18)
Yes, that's my Mums family's house

Saerdna
1051851.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote

im from northern sweden, and this is from my experience, so some facts can be unrelated to southern sweden. sry in advantage for my english :)

THE SUN:
The sun rises at 3.30am in the summer
The sun sets at 3.30pm in the winter
(ofc its varies on what day in the summer/winter)
December 22 is the darkest day - i belive i didnt see the sun at all that day
midsummer (June 21) is the day the sun never sets at the Artic circle - and overall the brightest day in sweden

scandinavian/swedish Myths and traditions:
Tomtar (gnomes) - later known as santa claus or Tomte in sweden
Troll (troll)
näcken - water spirits who usually appear in human form as a naked man who trick children into the river by playing on his violin
[url]On Easter[/url] - children hunt eastereggs and later dress up as witches and go from house to house greeting neighbors
Jul - old germanic tradition who later become global tradition know as christmas.
Julafton - christmas eve, the eve santa/tomten is giving gifts.

inventions
Anders Celsius - most famous for inventing the 100-point thermometer scale
Sven Åderman - created a musket capable of firing more rapidly, gave King Karl XII an advantage?
Jonas Lidströmer - He is behind a large number of mechanical devices and innovations, such as steel grinderies, chip docks, compasses etc
Gustaf Erik Pasch - invented the safety match
Jonas Offrell - developed a revolver at the same time and independently of Samuel Colt
Alfred Nobel - dynamite

typical swedish food
köttbullar (meat"buns") - meatballs
snus - wet snuff (lip tobacco)
plättar - thin pancakes, or tiny thin pancakes, still taste the same, and different taste than orginal thick pancakes
smörgåsbord - meal served buffet-style with multiple cold dishes of various sandwitches and cheeses and other food to choose from.
varm smörgåstårta - warm sandwich cake
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yqlFFgEyqik/TyWIl0OjuUI/AAAAAAAAEBo/-47oprQd86k/s1600/ny%C3%A5r%2B1.jpg
(im bad on food history)

typical swedish words
fika - for exampel: offering someone to chat over (usual) a coffee and cookies or buns. (almost always offering fika to visitors)
lagom - not to little, not to much, just perfect - or other example of translation: just right, just enough, moderately, moderation.
from the vikings to english:
knifr - knife (today: kniv)
kaka - cookie
husbönder/husbonde - husbands/husband (from farmer society I belive) straight translation - house farmer (farmer of the house) or man of the house

some words that english doesnt specifies
morfar/moffa - mothers father/moms dad
farmor/fammo - fathers mother/dads mom
farfars far (also "faffas" far) - my fathers fathers father (granddads dad)
mormors mor (also "mommos" mor) - my mothers mothers mother (grandmothers mother)
farfars farfar - fathers fathers fathers father (its easier to say in swedish :D)
syskon - siblings/brother and sister
morbror - mothers brother
farbror - fathers brother
faster - fathers sister
moster - mothers sister
barnbarn - your childrens children
these words looks funny, but are effective =)
and in the english you got unspecified words like:
aunt - your mothers or fathers sister?
grandfather - your mothers or fathers dad?

funny swedish village and location names:
(and remember that some words had a different meaning in the past, and are funny now, like latin "PENIS" meant "TAIL")
Lera (outside linköping) - dirt/clay
Trosa (north from nyköping) - panties
Bajset (never been there, but somewhere in south sweden) - poo (or the poo)
Mensträsk (northland) - mens = curse or more common menstruation/period träsk = swamp/marsh - "menstruationswamp"
Röven (north sweden) - rough version of Ass/butt/behind
there are more, but just google it =)

more funfacts.
swedes knows more about other countries history than swedish history. beacuse we learn swedish history in school when we are young and dont care or doesnt understand (7-12years), and learn european and american history when we are older and remember it.

allemansrätt - everymans right/The Right of Public Access - what you can and cannot do in the nature
like: everyone got the right to go out in the woods and pick berries and mushrooms and stuff that is growing !WILD! on private land in the woods
as long as you dont harm trees, you can camp (pitch two or three tents for a night or two)
link to a better explenation:
http://www.naturvardsverket.se/en/Enjoying-nature/The-Right-of-Public-Access/This-is-allowed/
in other words, you dont need money to survive a "free" life in sweden, you can rely on nature if you wish :)

its quite intresting that the more south in europe people use more words, and less words north. sweden is the same.
in europe the word:
spain: Festival de la canción de Eurovisión (6words)
french: Concours Eurovision de la chanson (5words)
english: Eurovision song contest (3 words)
swedish: Melodifestivalen (melody festival)

in sweden south to north:
den lilla bruna schäfern - the little brown German Shepherd
den lilla schäfern - the little German Shepherd
hunden - the dog (I use all example, but this one the most, because there isnt many dogs around my village very often)
(ofc this is a example of how much there is to choose from, like if there is 100 cars, you have to explain more details for people to understand)

or another example: (agreement)
jamen visst är det så - yes ofcourse that is how it is
Ja så är det - yes, so it is
Ja - yes
schjoo - agreement in form of a sort of breathing that make that sound, (I use it all the time, typical northern swedish thing)
(only the inbreathing part is the example)
link:[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nnyqPzP2g&feature=youtu.be&t=27m16s
[/url]
another link: (funfacts)
http://cva.stanford.edu/people/davidbbs/swedish_facts.html

Last edited by Saerdna on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:26 am; edited 5 times in total

'yorz
1051868.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote

Saerdna wrote:
Gustaf Erik Pasch - invented the safety match

For as long as I can remember, Dutch household Zwaluw (Swallow) matches came in this box, bearing the legend SÄKERHETS TÄNDSTICKOR, giving the impression the matches also function as 'safety toothpicks'.

CB27
1051939.  Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote

Saerdna wrote:
swedes knows more about other countries history than swedish history. beacuse we learn swedish history in school when we are young and dont care or doesnt understand (7-12years), and learn european and american history when we are older and remember it.

That's a shame because I think Swedes should be very proud of their place in history and their impact.

For a start, the original area where the tribe of Swedes came from had an area called Roden, which later became known as Roslagen, which is why some languages (Finnish, Estonian) have a different name for Sweden. The name came from an old name for a crew of rowing warriors, and these crews became known as the Rus people. As they travelled into Russia and gained a lot of power there, there is a strong theory that Russia was named after them.

It was the Swedes who broke the powerful Union of Kalmar to gain complete independence and pretty much invented the modern professional army, introducing uniforms and professional army codes that were later copied by every other country. Their new professional army was so successful against the rest of Europe that they soon became the third larges country in Europe. Their mistake of course, was stretching themselves too thinly, and being the first modern army to suffer the problems of trying to invade Russia.

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next