View previous topic | View next topic

Volcano Rabbit

Page 1 of 1

Zebra57
823202.  Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote

It is surprising that a rabbit is considered an endangered species. This rodent inhabits the slopes of the volcanoes near to Mexico City. Habitat loss and predation appear to have caused its downfall.

Ancient Aztec pictures show the rabbit which was sold in markets live in baskets. The loss of the species in the wild has caused an emergency conservation plan by zoos to be put into action.

Ameena
823366.  Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Just as a point of err, thingy...rabbits aren't rodents, they're lagomorphs. I'm not sure what the difference is (the only lagomorphs I know of are rabbits and hares, off the top of my head), but that's the case, apparently ;). If I wasn't about to go to bed I'd go and look it up and give some more info but it's twenty past midnight and I have another forum to check after this one so I'll have to get back to you ;).

CB27
823391.  Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote

The main difference is the teeth and the penis, otherwise there are enough similarities to consider them evolutionary cousins.

Ameena
823440.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote

Do rabbits' teeth not continually grow or something then, like rodents? I sort of thought they did...mind you, I don't really know an epic amount of information about bunnies, so... ;)

CB27
823453.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:53 am Reply with quote

I think they both continue to grow, it's just the number of teeth that tends to be different.

Ainee
823473.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote

I thought that the rabbit was introduced to England by the Normans, as a luxury year-round food source, and guarded by 'Warreners' inside their castle baileys, although some eventually escaped... Perhaps when the bailey walls fell down, due to rabbitic undermining.

I could be wrong...

samivel
823528.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote

I thought it was the Romans who brought rabbits to Britain.

orablu
823539.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote

looked the volcano rabbit up; it doesn't look nearly as exciting and extraordinary as its name would have you believe...

Ainee
823562.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote

I think the Romans brought Edible Snails to the Cotswolds, and they are still there waiting to be eaten!

Zebra57
824494.  Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote

The Romans bought rabbits to Britain but realising their destructive nature confined them to islands. The Normans had no such ecological conscience.

I looked up volcano rabbit again in my book and it says that they are rodents. However the book is quite old and rabbits were de-classified as rodents in the early 20th Century.

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-difference-between-rodents-and-lagomorphs-a94546

Chowchilla
902145.  Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Some of Britain's wildlife has adapted to the presence of rabbits to such an extent that they depend on heavily as a source of food.

When rabbit numbers were first decimated by myxomatosis Common Buzzards for example declined in numbers due to their main food source plummeting in numbers.

I think it was once stated on QI that 'myxy' rabbits are safe to eat (not that I've tried) and of course that rather famous bit (possibly the same episode) that you would die of malnutrition if you ate nothing but rabbit!

Page 1 of 1