View previous topic | View next topic

SOUTH AFRICA

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

franticllama
1017499.  Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote

Sherbrooke wrote:
In reply to AlfredENeuman: Pietermaritzburg is definitely not a sleepy hollow. We have many exciting pursuits eg. we can watch the leaves fall in the Botanical Gardens at the beginning of autumn, we can watch the traffic lights on the main road change - they do so regularly - red, yellow, green - most exciting, we can go to the bakery and watch the bread rise, and go and watch the politicians fall asleep in the provincial legislature. We live dangerously!!

I've heard that, perhaps once every few years, when you lot are feeling particularly adventurous (perhaps after a few klippies and coke) you take a walk up to howick just to sit and watch what happens when something moves quickly

Sherbrooke
1018150.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote

Lol. We do indeed go to Howick once in a while. That is where the blue hair brigade in their Morris Minors, disregard road rules completely. Most of them were born before traffic lights were invented and so they just ignore them altogether. Howick also has a wonderful waterfall and we can sit and watch the water falling for hours!

chrisboote
1024378.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote

As a Brit who has decided to re-colonise the old empire, one step at a time, I bought a house in a quiet sleepy town in South Africa (Alicedale)
Alicedale used to be a very busy town, now it's more or less nothing, but is very close to Grahamstown, which is a bustling place, that for some reason I utterly love, and feel completely at home when I'm there

Anyway, Grahamstown is also known as the City of Saints
Why?
Because when the local British commander sent a message requesting supplies be shipped there, he included the line "Need a vice - no vice in all Grahamstown"
The reply came back "No vice? Then Grahamstown must be a city of Saints."

Last edited by chrisboote on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Alfred E Neuman
1024387.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote

Sherbrooke wrote:
In reply to AlfredENeuman: Pietermaritzburg is definitely not a sleepy hollow. We have many exciting pursuits eg. we can watch the leaves fall in the Botanical Gardens at the beginning of autumn

And from time to time you can watch the pipe band playing in the avenue of plane trees, although it's been a while since we did that. If it's the Howick Falls which excite you, on the Sunday closest to Armistice day, you can see us lead the parade from the Howick Falls to the cenotaph. Bring an umbrella, it often rains.

I much prefer the Karkloof Falls though - they're almost as high as the Howick Falls, but the viewing area is a pleasant spot in the country rather than a litter encrusted car park. You can also swim in the river above the falls, or float about on a tractor tube. Much better than Howick.

I used the term "sleepy hollow" fondly, it's actually pretty racy compared to the rather slower-paced hamlet of Sevenoaks, where I live.

Alfred E Neuman
1024401.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote

chrisboote wrote:

There is also the small matter of the rather disproportionately large number of churches in Grahamstown.

chrisboote
1024403.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
chrisboote wrote:

There is also the small matter of the rather disproportionately large number of churches in Grahamstown.

How dare you bring reasonable and sensible facts into any discussion about South Africa!

Alfred E Neuman
1024407.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote

Good point...

suze
1024418.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
It's actually pretty racy compared to the rather slower-paced hamlet of Sevenoaks, where I live.

Not all colonial settlements which were given the names of places in the Old Country are anything at all like their namesakes.

Boston, Massachusetts is almost completely unlike Boston, Lincolnshire. For a start, it's really quite nice.

Denver, Colorado is even less like Denver, Norfolk. The latter place is the supposed home village of Lord Peter Wimsey, much as there are probably more murders in the former place.

But Halifax, Nova Scotia does have a few things in common with Halifax, Yorkshire. They are both wet and windy, they are both rather hilly, and in both places the natives talk funny.

And then we come to Sevenoaks. It sounds as if Sevenoaks, South Africa is exactly like Sevenoaks, Kent!

franticllama
1024484.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote

chrisboote wrote:

And now the home of one of the larger universities in the country so probably no vices about now either

Spud McLaren
1024488.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Boston, Massachusetts is almost completely unlike Boston, Lincolnshire. For a start, it's really quite nice.
Well, Boston, Lincs was nice not so long ago - the architecture still is.

Alfred E Neuman
1024667.  Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote

franticllama wrote:
And now the home of one of the larger universities in the country so probably no vices about now either

I'd not call Rhodes one of the larger universities in South Africa. In fact when I did a little research I discovered that it is actually the smallest :-)

University of Pretoria 53,106
North-West University 47,008
University of KwaZulu-Natal 37,170
University of the Free State 26,189
University of the Witwatersrand 26,000
University of Stellenbosch 23,983
University of Cape Town 22,298
University of Limpopo 17,132
University of the Western Cape 15,070
University of Fort Hare 9,339
Rhodes University 6,319

The Neuman family seems to have both ends of the list covered - one daughter graduated from Rhodes, and the next will graduate from Pretoria next year.

The list comes from http://www.ieasa.studysa.org/resources/Study_SA/Facts_Figures_section.pdf

franticllama
1024733.  Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Huh, I've done that thing where I've simply assumed that its one of the larger varsities because a large proportion of my friends went there.

I'm rather surprised by those stats and probably for the same reason - I just assumed the varsities I'd heard about the most were the largest. Not great logic in hindsight.

Alfred E Neuman
1025104.  Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote

The number of university students in South Africa has grown a lot in recent years, and additionally, those stats are influenced by the re-structuring of the tertiary education system, and many of those universities are the result of a few older universities and colleges being merged.

I know UKZN is made up of the old University of Natal (Durban and Pietermaritzburg), University of Durban (Westville) and the old Edgewood teachers training college. UJ is the old Rand Afrikaans University with a few extras including Wits Technikon, and so on.

AKAIK Rhodes and Stellenbosch were the only two Universities who weren't merged with other institutions, and Rhodes being almost completely made up of students in residence has only been able to grow as quickly as they have been able build new halls of residence, whereas the universities in bigger cities can take on many more students as most live off-campus.

Janferie
1115775.  Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote

Does this actually, seriously exist as a sport or is it purely for tourists?Because if it really does exist then the country is in a worse state than I thought it was!

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2