View previous topic | View next topic

Planes Grounded by Icelandic Ash

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Ian Dunn
698142.  Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote

I just come across this on the BBC Today Programme website.

Alain de Botton, the writer-in-residence of Heathrow Airport (one of the world's oddest job titles) has written a sci-fi story about a world without planes, having been inspired by the recent events.

gruff5
698365.  Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote

sounds like his job title might soon be redundant

Jenny
698559.  Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote

I'm hoping it's more or less sorted out by next weekend, but if not there are worse places to be stranded in than Italy.

barbados
698561.  Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote

If we are both still stuck I'm sure I can get up to Maine if you can get a cross Europe train we can do a house swap

dr.bob
699359.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote

Apparently there are no trains anywhere in Europe. At least, that's the impression I got yesterday watching the news coverage of people arriving in Calais and telling the reporter how many thousands of Euros they had to pay to get there by taxi or chauffeur driven car.

Guess coaches aren't running in Europe either, then.

themoog
699373.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote

Possibly so. I've travelled through Europe a fair bit by train and long-distance services often run full and are booked up well in advance, especially at busy times of year (like now just after Easter). And that's before the extra demand brought on by the lack of flights.

djgordy
699374.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:

Alain de Botton, the writer-in-residence of Heathrow Airport (one of the world's oddest job titles) has written a sci-fi story about a world without planes, having been inspired by the recent events.

I have written a poem.

A Verse Upon the Calamitous Effect that the Eruption of the Icelandic Volcano Eyjafjallajokull has had on Flights in and out of Certain European Countries.

Plane plus ash
Equals crash.

Last edited by djgordy on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Sadurian Mike
699388.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote

Can I do the second verse?

Now all that ash
Is costing us cash.

Neotenic
699399.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote

Who'd have thought a volcano
Could cause so much pain
Oh.

Efros
699443.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I'm hoping it's more or less sorted out by next weekend, but if not there are worse places to be stranded in than Italy.

CDG in Paris springs to mind, got stuck there for 32 hours once due to Air France's complete and utter inability to find their backside with their hands. Got put up in a Eurodisney hotel, and very nearly punched Goofy's lights out.

CB27
699446.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote

We asked for our CASH back...

barbados
699497.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Jenny wrote:

CDG in Paris springs to mind, got stuck there for 32 hours once due to Air France's complete and utter inability to find their backside with their hands. Got put up in a Eurodisney hotel, and very nearly punched Goofy's lights out.

It's actually quite hard being stuck away from home anywhere. Part of the problem is that people are genuinely quite nice and it is really hard not to snap back with your frustrations.

Today the concierge asked if we were having a nice time. He doesn't know where are stuck and would really like to go home, so you just have to give some kind of nod and grunt when what you really want to say is "NO I'M NOT HAVING A NICE TIME, MOST OF ALL I'D REALLY REALLY LIKE TO GO HOME NOW" but it isn't there fault and be ranting at them you only spoil someone elses day.

Jenny
699518.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote

We are now in Florence. I have good internet access from the hotel here, but on Saturday we move to a hotel in Pisa where I am not sure that there will be internet access. After that, we are in the hands of the volcano gods as we are supposed to be flying back to the UK on Sunday with Easyjet, and it isn't clear at the moment whether that will be able to happen or not. We are also supposed to be flying back to the US from the UK on Wednesday next week, with Virgin Atlantic, which is also unclear.

We think we maybe ought to try and get back to the UK on the grounds that at least we can stay with my daughter rather than in a hotel if we are there, and at least we'll be in the right place when Virgin finds itself able to fly us. They don't fly to the US from Italy, France or Spain, sadly, so the only way we can go home from here is to book very expensive flights (as in about $1500 each!) which we would rather not do.

All (sensible!) suggestions gratefully received!

Neotenic
699522.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote

From what I can see, inbound flights to the UK from Europe look as though they're going to be up and running by Thursday, so I think trying to stick to your original plans would work.

If you're lucky, then the bulk of those who should have been on planes in the last few days will be gone, by whatever means, by Sunday.

Jenny
699523.  Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote

Thanks Neo - that's what we're hoping. If the new slug of volcanic ash hangs around, we may have to re-think. It may also be that people who were originally intending to travel will not not travel, which would leave space for stranded travellers.

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next