View previous topic | View next topic

Circus Animals

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

'yorz
814711.  Mon May 09, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote

No need to preach to the hopefully converted, just a plea to sign the below petition to ban the practice of training/parading several exotic animals in often very traumatic circumstances.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/circusanimals

Ion Zone
817324.  Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Hell yes.

'yorz
817335.  Wed May 18, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Well, at least this is no longer a zero-response post. Thanks, IZ.
Yesterday the petition with 10,000 signatures has been delivered to Downing Street.
It's a beginning.

Arcane
817369.  Wed May 18, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote

Well, there's the circus animals on one hand...

but could the same thing be said for racehorses, steeplechasers (20 horses have died since 2000, run over 7kms with jumps added in it's no wonder) greyhounds, camels, animals that perform in movies, TV shows, pony rides, donkeys that carry goods (do they still have donkey rides in the UK), animals used for food or even our own domestic pets/animals, who we keep and have for our own personal amusement, etc etc?

No one doubts that circus animals are on occasions treated badly, but anyone could choose to view it that any animal not wild and being kept by a human is being mistreated on some level. That is not my personal opinion, I'm just putting it out there.

'yorz
817394.  Thu May 19, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote

There is concern for those other groups of animals, too, and efforts are made to improve their situation; but that ain't an excuse not to sign this one. By the way - what is your personal opinion?

exnihilo
817399.  Thu May 19, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote

This petition calls for the banning of all animals in all circuses? Seems a bit blanket to me, especially given what Arcane highlighted about the number of other 'uses' we put animals too. Surely they're not all badly treated and a better route might be for anyone 'employing' an animal to have to do so in accordance with a set of laws or guidelines on their treatment. But that wouldn't allow the RSPCA to act as though they were some sort of official force or police service.

Neotenic
817401.  Thu May 19, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote

Yeah, it does seem to me to be somewhat heavy handed to introduce legislation when, by the linked article's own admission, there are barely 20 animals across just three circuses 'working' today.

If there was a time for legislation, it was probably at least 25 years ago. But it seems to me that this type of entertainment is doing a pretty good job of regulating itself out of existence anyway.

'yorz
817402.  Thu May 19, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote

Quote:
This petition calls for the banning of all animals in all circuses?

No it doesn't. Why don't you read the link first.

Neotenic
817403.  Thu May 19, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote

Quote:
We, the undersigned, call on the Government to ban wild animals from circuses

That seems pretty clearly in favour of a total ban to me.

'yorz
817425.  Thu May 19, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote

Link, of which the following excerpt:

Quote:
In 2006 the Animal Welfare Act enshrined into law what we know as ‘the five welfare needs’ – the need for a suitable environment, for a suitable diet, to exhibit normal behaviour patterns, to have suitable companionship, and to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

Under this framework it is hard to see how the needs of non-domesticated, wild animals can be met within the environment of a travelling circus; especially in terms of accommodation and the ability to express normal behaviour.

These animals, including lions, tigers, elephants, and zebras, have not been selectively bred for traits that would increase suitability for life in a captive environment. They spend the majority of their days confined in spaces that are much smaller than those recommended for the same species in zoos.

These spaces lack environmental enrichment and do not allow the animals to perform species-specific natural behaviour. When an animal is prevented from performing the normal behaviours that they are highly motivated to perform it can lead to stereotypic behaviour, such as pacing and swaying. It is widely accepted that this is a clear indication of poor welfare.

[my bolds]

If the above is properly addressed I have no problem with circuses, certainly not when bearing in mind that there are many more instances of unfavourable living circumstances.

Neotenic
817448.  Thu May 19, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote

Quote:
non-domesticated, wild animals

Excellent, that means my 'Steve, the Hamster Cannonball' act is safe.

exnihilo
817459.  Thu May 19, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote

You're quite right, of course, it doesn't call for the banning of all animals in circuses, it calls for the banning of all circus animals in circuses. Why? Because in some cases some captive animals might not behave just like wild animals do.

Surely by giving him a litter tray, food bowls, and a collar I'm making my cat behave other than he would were he wild?

'yorz
820895.  Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:40 am Reply with quote

The petition is gathering pace.

Ion Zone
823057.  Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that it is a bloody stupid idea to have a horse jump through a fake hedge at full speed not knowing exactly what's on the other side. They have to land without looking and they often land on their necks. Which are, if you know anything about horse biology, very easy to break.

Lets not get started on the whips and the knackers yard.

barbados
823138.  Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote

Horses are possibly the wrong choice of animals to use as an example.

Anyone who knows enough about a horse to know how easy they are to injure will also know how wilful they are, and if a horse decides he doesn't want to do something there is nothing you will do that can make it.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next